Linux Linux installation - Hard disk partitioning help

tutysara

Disciple
Hi,
I am going to install Ubuntu 10.10.
Usually I go with default choice of installing everything in a single partition - /
Now I am going to select advanced partition and I have decided to use my 80GB harddisk as below
40 GB - /
35 GB - /usr
512 MB - /boot
4 GB - swap

Does this looks ok or should I have to change anything?

tutysara said:
Hi,

I am going to install Ubuntu 10.10.

Usually I go with default choice of installing everything in a single partition - /

Now I am going to select advanced partition and I have decided to use my 80GB harddisk as below

40 GB - /

35 GB - /usr

512 MB - /boot

4 GB - swap

Does this looks ok or should I have to change anything?
75 Gig for base linux installation? For what? I would suggest 20 GB for / and rest of for /home. How much ram do you have? If its not a server class machine it does not need so much swap.

+LT

Personally, I would just stick with using the entire disk on single root / partition, and of course a small swap partition.

goin to mulitboot with win 7 sp1

c: 10 gB win7

d: 107 gB storage

e: 179 gB.. goin to partition it... out of it how much should i allocate for ubuntu and swap.. rest of it storage(ntfs)

First of all 10 gb is way too less for Win 7 !!!... try to keep at least 50gb, preferably 100gb for your C:.

For linux you can make do with just 10 GB for root / and about 2 gb for swap , I would suggest.

No idea why you going this way, when you are using a single disc :

40 GB - /

35 GB - /usr

512 MB - /boot

4 GB - swap

just give RAM*2 to swap partition, rest all space to /

Gone are the days when we used multiple discs because discs were small and userfiles were big enough that we needed to mount /home /root and /usr on different discs, on a single disc there is totally no need to make different partitions, only if u have 2 discs and want to keep /boot different then user data to have redundancy go for such option, otherwise no point at all.

vishalrao said:
Personally, I would just stick with using the entire disk on single root / partition, and of course a small swap partition.
+1 to this. If it is going to be for desktop usage, I would suggest that you go with a single / partition. Some older motherboards have a problem with booting off a big partition (though with your 80 GB HDD, it should be fine with any mobo). Anyway to be safe, I would suggest

/boot - 100 MB
swap - 1 GB
/ - rest

Back