OC & Modding Liquid Cooling CLEANUP on Thermaltake The Tower 900 – HELP

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi TechEnclavians,

(An Old-Timer is Back again)

I am a newbie at this and looking forward to ALL the HELP, Suggestions, Tips from guys out here :happy:

My Mission:
TO DRAIN & FLUSH OUT THE EKWB - WATER COOLING LOOP (GPU & CPU BLOCK ETC) + Twin Radiators

- Plus Cleaning GPU Block (see image for corrosion due to oxidation) and CPU too.

Background:
System is around 5 years old and NEVER been Flushed! :arghh:
I inherited this crazy build from my nephew in December 2021 and used it for around 4 months till it STOPPED working -(before this it was lying unused for more than a year) My nephew is not around due to his job requirements SO I AM LOST and will have to undertake this task myself (or willing to invite any TE Guy in Mumbai to drop in and Help me out).

Why Am I desperate to Salvage this Dream Build:
Its obvious - I wish to use it for a couple more years. I am due for retirement and would need a system for future work & I cannot dream of investing a lot of money today.
If, after the TOTAL CLEANING is done successfully - then it would be a Blessing.
Else - may have to look for alternatives which are expensive [like replacement of Mobo + Processor + GPU (if at all)] and the MOST Expensive - replacement of newer EKWB parts!

Pre-Preparations:
1. Ordered the EK-Loop Tester Flex Pump from EKWB (Slovenia) - will be delivered on Monday June 13th, 2022 (Rs 5200/-) ..... Fingers crossed & praying that DHL does not thokao any further customs clearance charges!!:fearscream:
(In India only MdComputers - Kolkata was selling it and it was the older version at Rs 4524/- where the extended tubing was very short!)
EK Loop Tester Flex Pump
2. Ordered 5 Litres Distilled Water
WTC Distilled Water De-anodised 5 lts
3. I Have - Lots of Tissue Papers; Iso-Propyl Alcohol; All other Tools

MY FEARS & WORRIES IN THE CLEANUP MISSION:
(This is where I need Guidance of TE Folks)

Not to screw up or damage any of these expensive components in this entire cleaning process!
Cleaning the GPU Block of corrosion & CPU - removing and refitting back again.
Not sure if White Vinegar or Toothpaste is required for cleaning GPU Block Corrosion.
Not sure if I need to connect an spare PSU to power Up and Run these Water Blocks for a few hours (especially as I will now have the EK Flex Pump) - as I am afraid of dismantling & correctly re-connecting loads of Cables!

The BUILD: (Courtesy from my Nephew)
Thermaltake - The Tower 900 Snow Edition
Intel i5-4690K
Asus Z97 Pro Wi-Fi
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
32GB RAM - G-Skill Ripjaws 2400 MHz
Seasonic SS 850KM Gold
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB
NZXT Hue+ LED Strips plus and internal 6" Display Panel
EKWB (ordered from Slovenia) - Complete Water Block Kits for GPU + CPU + Coolstream SE 240 & 360 Radiators (2 sizes); Plus EK Vardar 2200 rpm (6 fans)

Looking forward to all your HELP brothers.

Terry

Attachments

• IMG_20220608_121050__01.jpg
    IMG_20220608_121050__01.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220603_183908_02.jpg
    IMG_20220603_183908_02.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20220603_183737__01.jpg
    IMG_20220603_183737__01.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20220603_184026.jpg
    IMG_20220603_184026.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
The Tower 900 is an overkill. I'd say better to get a mid tower and move these parts there. Start draining from the pump at the bottom, since these are soft tubes it should be comparatively easy to drain. Then the radiators on the back. Then the GPU and CPU.

Remove the psu just to be safe. Also, 2 pumps is too much you can have single pump. you can use some toothpaste to clean the blocks.

A Learning
The Realization
The TRUTH
- As I go about on this Mission to SALVAGE this DREAM BUILD
#ThermaltakeTheTower900 #SnowEdition with Dual Loop Liquid Cooling

Is the Ultimate DREAM of Any Modder or Compute
r (save for Liquid Nitrogen Builds) and the REAL COST of JUST This Liquid Cooling Kit from EKWB is DOUBLE or Triple :rolleyes::astonished::screamcat: the Cost of ALL other Components (Thanks to Crazy Customs Duties imposed by India - which very often are DOUBLE the cost of the Actual components/parts)!

Truth be told, I have NOT Calculated the REAL Cost of this Build as It also has loads of peripherals!

My Nephew was a Crazy Die-Hard Gamer (until he got married :angelic:) and then Stopped using this system that he so lovingly Build over a Period of 18 months.
WHICH IS WHY I AM SO DESPERATE TO SALVAGE IT
WITH HELP FROM #TechEnclavians

@Crazy_Eddy @renegade @logistopath

Terry
The Tower 900 is an overkill. I'd say better to get a mid tower and move these parts there. Start draining from the pump at the bottom, since these are soft tubes it should be comparatively easy to drain. Then the radiators on the back. Then the GPU and CPU.

Remove the psu just to be safe. Also, 2 pumps is too much you can have single pump. you can use some toothpaste to clean the blocks.
Will keep in mind your suggestions.
But Sincerely - I WISH to give a SHOT to a COMPLETE Flushing and Cleaning up of this DREAM BUILD Thermaltake 900 The Tower - especially since I have ordered this expensive Air-Tester Pump (which Speeds up the entire process) into a few hours only - rather than a few days :fearscream::fearscream:
EK Loop Tester Flex Pump

Last edited:
You said the rig has stopped working so assuming its not working at all since a long time now is the pain of doing all this really worth the investment?
Instead you should first check in a simple way if the parts are alive as in TS what went wrong and try to bring the rig back live before doing any needless cleaning etc. tedious maintenance.

Update
Communication with @EKWB via @youtube
EK Flex Loop Tester Querries
Can this also be used to DRAIN OUT / FLUSH and Clean an EKWB dual loop (GPU+CPU) on a Thermaltake 900 The Tower System.
[This was before I placed the order]

Their Reply Today:
The EK Leak Tester Flex's intended use is to check the systems/components for possible leaks and won't be of much help when draining the system. However, you should always check for leaks after cleaning the system.

My Further Querry Today:
I have ordered the latest EK Flex Loop Tester (Order No#200197875) & will be delivered on June 13th, 2022 at Mumbai - India for my Thermaltake 900 The Tower Snow Edition which has Dual EKWB Water Blocks and Radiators. BUT PLEASE HELP ME NOW ...... Would I STILL need to connect a SPARE PSU to Power up & Check the Blocks after Cleaning & Flushing is done? Is this an ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT?

I am Confused as I wish to Avoid the above Testing using a Spare PSU!
You said the rig has stopped working so assuming its not working at all since a long time now is the pain of doing all this really worth the investment?
Instead you should first check in a simple way if the parts are alive as in TS what went wrong and try to bring the rig back live before doing any needless cleaning etc. tedious maintenance.
Thank you @nRiTeCh
(and it is these sort of responses that will HELP me Move ahead with better Clarity on this MISSION) - of CLEANING & FLUSHING the Thermaltake 900 with EKWB Blocks.
TE Guys Rock.

My conclusions as to why this RIG Stopped Working:
1. Not Flushed or Ever Drained for Over 5 Years (when a recommended is at least once a year)
2. There are visible signs of a collection of Calcium, Other Residues and Oxides Corrosion on GPU Block & Reservoirs.
3. Is Maintenance (Periodic)/ Annual an Essential Part of Such Rigs?

Appreciate all comments.

I hope this is not an #MissionImpossible Venture Guyz .... Hai

Last edited:
UPDATE:
I have not given up.
Deep Cleaning of this System is 90% done.
I have used a combination of all possible Cleaning Solutions - From Vinegar (over 4 bottles); Colgate Toothpaste; Isopropyl Alcohol; WD-40; NIKAVI Electrical Contact Cleaner & even a Kitchen Degreaser (Blueoxyl) - see image below.
Lastly used Distilled Water.
Realised that some copper-oxidation issues on GPU Block cannot be eliminated 100%.

Now stuck with GPU Water Block AIR LEAK - Even with the EK-Flex Loop Tester Pump (image below) - I am having an issue currently. The new EK-Flex Loop Tester is a remarkable tool as you can check & monitor any drop in air-pressure on your loop in a few minutes. But somewhere - some valves need to be re-checked.

Note CPU Block was tested and is 100% leak proof.

MISSION IS ON STILL!

Attachments

• Comp_Cleaning_01.jpg
    Comp_Cleaning_01.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Comp_Cleaning02.jpg
    Comp_Cleaning02.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Comp_Cleaning02_EKFlex.jpg
    Comp_Cleaning02_EKFlex.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 63
Back