Storage Solutions Liteon Blu-ray (reader only) for $ 60

tracerbullet

Skilled
The Liteon iHOS104-06 Blu-ray drive is available on Zipzoomfly.com for 60$ including shipping. Check this link out: LITEON iHOS104-06 4X SATA Blu-Ray Reader Black Drive Bulk at ZipZoomfly

It seems like a great offer to me and I'm buying it. Just thought I'd let you guys know about it.

Update: It's available on Newegg.com as well for the same price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325 May Phoenix or KMD can buy it in bulk and ship it to whomever is interested on TE.

I suppose people will only buy these drives when *ahem* bluray movie discs are out or better the movie libraries start keeping Blu-Ray movies with them and offer on rent as they do now with DVDs

raksrules said:
I suppose people will only buy these drives when *ahem* bluray movie discs are out or better the movie libraries start keeping Blu-Ray movies with them and offer on rent as they do now with DVDs

Nah, i think it begins when you can also get a writer for the same price :p

$60 for just a reader is bloody rip-off !!

@SumitB

No, actually *ahem* blu-rays are not available here too. In fact i have seen less of blank Blu-ray media here. Even in the electronics shopping malls here in Shanghai, i have seen only one or two stocking blu-ray drives.

The funny part is that the *ahem* road side DVD disc covers have Blu-Ray logo and on the back it is written 1080p and all.

blr_p said:
$60 for just a reader is bloody rip-off !!

I paid close to 6k for my first Lite-On 4x DVD burner! There're peeps who've spent close to 10k for the first DVD burners and perhaps the same for the first CD burner! Talk about maturing technologies. :bleh:

The best deal by far was the LG GGW H20L Blu-Ray Burner + HD-DVD reader for close to 6k which was retailing at the Chroma outlets as a result of clearing away the old stocks. :p

Gannu said:
I paid close to 6k for my first Lite-On 4x DVD burner! There're peeps who've spent close to 10k for the first DVD burners and perhaps the same for the first CD burner! Talk about maturing technologies. :bleh:

So tell me how long it took for that CD-writer to come down from 10K to umm 4-5K ?

CD writing was a first because there was no other competiting way to portably save upto 700MB on a disc. How many floppies would it save ? How many DVDr's does a Blu-ray save ?

But having been through the CD, DVD cycle i fail to see why getting ONLY a reader is worth it.

So you have lots of Blu-ray movies, you watch those where, at the computer or elsewhere ?

blr_p said:
So tell me how long it took for that CD-writer to come down from 10K to umm 4-5K ?

CD writing was a first because there was no other competiting way to portably save upto 700MB on a disc. How many floppies would it save ? How many DVDr's does a Blu-ray save ?

But having been through the CD, DVD cycle i fail to see why getting ONLY a reader is worth it.

So you have lots of Blu-ray movies, you watch those where, at the computer or elsewhere ?

Perhaps a couple of years or even lesser? This was exactly the case with DVD burners.

Sorry but I've no blu-ray movies nor a blu-ray burner or a reader. I do not belong to those leagues anymore. I prefer keeping a backup on the hard drive instead!

blr_p said:

If you have a large screen telly, then simply buy a Blu-ray reader like this one and use the computer to output to the TV via HDMI. Simple solution!

Your second option is to buy a discrete Blu-ray player which, at a minimum, costs 15k right now. The former option suddenly seems a lot more economical, no?

^^ For that you will also need a computer with HDMI output and better processor (i think) and if by default we don't have a config then the blu-ray reader may not be that good.

PS: I have limited know-how of blu ray stuff :ashamed:

tracerbullet said:
Your second option is to buy a discrete Blu-ray player which, at a minimum, costs 15k right now. The former option suddenly seems a lot more economical, no?

I was not aware a stand alone Blu ray player currently costs so much :(

Only read of how happy ppl are that their playstation can do the job but then it isnt an option, if you're not a gamer.

Yes, if you are pushed, do as you say but its only temporary till prices drop.

Back