Little Dot Micro Tube amping

Vandal

Skilled
Had this for 2 months now. Just got time to take a few pics. Bought for 200$ US, comes with two extra tubes, and an upgraded PCB.

Drives my Audio Technica A900 beautifully. My cans have become a lot more revealing, the top end has got a touch more detailed and the bass now comes with a real whump, but tight, precise and low...

Stuff in Pic:
Little Dot Micro Tube hybrid headphone amplifier

Below is the power unit. Its kept discrete from the amp, to iron out any interference.

The Cans (Still haven't recieved my uber cans ;))

Will add more pics soon. PS - Tubes have a lovely glow in the dark ;)

greenhorn said:

220$. It has the upgraded PCB, and I got two extra tubes. Its a hybrid, based around a CS4398 DAC which is the same as the X-Fi Elite Pro, and a very good DAC I might add. Not sure of the opamps in this one. What I'm looking at is either a Little Dot MK IVSE or then the Meier Audio Opera amp after this, but that'll be after at least 2 years.

For the cans, I've done a lot of background research and reading and settled on the HD600 not the bassier HD650. Accd to a lot of owners the HD600 is halfway between a K701 and the HD650, and I wanted a little more sparkle in the highs. The K701 doesn't do male vocals as well, and the HD650 needs a very high end system to get the slightly receded highs, also its bass might be a little more thumpy than what my ears like...

Seems like a lot to pay for just something to drive headphones...

..Isn't it less tiresome to listen with speakers or are you not allowed to do that ?

..you live next to a busy road and the only time its quiet is when you ought to be in bed.

SO, if you want to get some good listneing done, then cans is the only way to go ?

hehe, i bet that's the case for most ppl :D

..or...if u want the best sound on the cheap this is the way to do it, the setup u have with the amp+cans is sufficient.

It's tiring tho, cpl of hours with cans and my ears would be aching, especially if there was boom-boom in there.

However with speakers, i could easily do a 12 hr session without probs.

Lol, I must be the only one here with a lousy setup in the sound dept. ( I REALLY have to upgrade to those A2s I've been drooling over, if only to stop the comments on my Mercurys :eek:hyeah: ).

Congrats. Though your setup would be wasted on a tone deaf like me :p

i use my headphones for 12hrs per day without any problems :D

i do that on hot days without a air conditioner too ;)

blr_p said:
hehe, i bet that's the case for most ppl :D

..or...if u want the best sound on the cheap this is the way to do it, the setup u have with the amp+cans is sufficient.

It's tiring tho, cpl of hours with cans and my ears would be aching, especially if there was boom-boom in there.

However with speakers, i could easily do a 12 hr session without probs.

lol I'm neither living in a noisy area nor does any family complain, but the sound I get from these would be hard to get from a 50K speaker system. With a better source like my EMU 1212m which is on the way, and possibly a senn HD600 and an Audio Technica W1000 (woodie can) as an exchange with my A900 It'd be hard to get that kind of sound for 10 times the price.

If your ears ache your cans are crap, its that simple :p. I do 4-5 hours, 12 hours havnen't done cause well I don't have that much idle time :p.

Naga - here's the thing - if your mercs are the HT5800r they're a good speaker set. I suggest bookshelves and an amp for you, as an upgrade, don't even think PC speakers, why not the A5? Then get a good low impedance headphone and use that when you want the house to resonate with the sound of silence.

Cans are personal, feed sound directly to the ear. A good audiophile can with a good amp and proper cabling and source will blow your ass off, and you'll be a slave for life.

Wow congrats ! Tube amp !

For $220 it is worth every penny you paid for it. A good amp is really needed to drive those 300 ohm Senn HD600.

And you are right in saying that no speaker set up below 50k will match your set up. After listening to my dads HD650 with his amp, no music system at Croma could match that sound !

Wish i had the money to spend $200 for a tube amp and another $300 for a nice set of cans for myself !

Vandal said:
I do 4-5 hours

And you are able to sit still for that amt of time ?

Course not, just remember to remove each time you get a refill or take a break ie interruption-of-music.

You don't have these restrictions with a speaker setup :cool2:

blr_p said:

Course not, just remember to remove each time you get a refill or take a break ie interruption-of-music.

You can't really compare the two, it's like tea and coffee... do your own thing!

blr_p said:

And if you could mention a speaker set-up within 20k that can match up to the sound of the headphone set-up .... :bleh:

I personally would spend money on a speaker system rather than an expensive headphone set-up (if I had 20 - 25k !), but a good headphone setup is leagues ahead of a budget speaker set-up.

Back