Login problems in Win 2k

Recently, when i log into my account( archana), though i enter the correct password the follo messag appears:

Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry.

and then, it logs me onto a temporary profile, warning me that i may lose all changes done, if i work wit this login profile..

:huh:

also, now, in my firefox, i am not able to use the middle button thing, for "open in new tab". The mouse detection thing had come up in that short duration of that unknown-profile logon...

Due to bad sectors on hard disk,your profile may havebcom corrupted. Possible causes could be as specified at MS Support.
Permissions on the local %system root%\Profiles have been modified. The EVERYONE group needs Full Control to load the profile.
• Lack of resources. If the system partition is low on space, or the registry size limit has been exceeded, the profile can fail to load.
• The profile is corrupted. Either the local Ntuser.dat (or .man) or the roaming copy of Ntuser.dat is corrupted. When this occurs, there is usually an event indicating a RegLoadKey failure.

found this possible solution: You can copy an existing profile to a new location by doing the following:
Copying or Restoring a Profilehttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/09w2kadb.mspx
1.Log on to the user's computer, and then start the System Control Panel utility and open the User Profile tab.
2.Select the existing profile you want to copy using the Profiles Stored On This Computer list box.
3.Copy the profile to the new location by clicking the Copy To button, and then enter the path to the new profile directory in the Copy Profile To field. For example, if you're creating the profile for JANEW, you could type: \\GAMMA\USERPROFILES\ JANEW.
4.Now you need to give the user permission to access the profile. Click the Change button in the Permitted To Use area, and then use the Select User Or Group dialog box to grant access to the appropriate user account.
5.When you're finished, close the Copy To dialog box by clicking OK. Windows 2000 will then copy the profile to the new location.
i suggest you check out the above link from the MS site which has lots of otehr guides to reverting,creating and handling such problems.

thanks for the reply..and links ;)

but doesnt it point out to another possibility like bad sectors :O

oh not again.. :(

EDIT : its confirmed! cudnt copy the profile files.. CRC check error! :cry:

this problem is not leaving me :(
since bosky said there is chance of bad sectors i tried HDD regenerator.. it showed some about 45 bad sectors within first 5 GB and as usual HDD regenerator said it recoverd them.. but still the problems are again coming. also the pc is behaving strangely sometimes.. once when i switched it on.. after showing the HD n RAM info, it said: "Keyboard locked out- Unlock the key" :S
i dint mess with k/b anytime...
someone please help me out soon..

search for this File "cd050303.iso"
google gave me "http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/"

else google & u will get it or else PM me & i can send it to u through mail. Its a 3mb ISO which u can Burn on a CD & boot from it. It provides easy wizard type system that can be used to reset ur pass with ease. I've tried it so many times & it always helped me

Back