PC Peripherals Logitech Z-5500: Is it Worth it ?

shadow2get

Recruit
I will be buying the Logitech Z-5500 shortly. I enquired the price here in Bangalore. Was quoted around Rs. 18,500 + TAX.
FYI, I will be using the speakers for connecting to :
-> PC
-> DVD Player
-> Digital Set Top Box

I wanted to know from people who have these speakers
* About the issues it has
* The audio quality with an Onboard / Dedicated soundcard
* Is it worth the money you spend on it ?
* What is the length of the wires you get for Front / Rear speakers ?

I have been reading here that
* Onkyo HT-S3100 is much better than this
* The Fuse issue which can be resolved easily

Shortly, will be buying a Core i7 System with Asus P6T Deluxe. Is the onboard soundcard good enough ? If not, which dedicated soundcard should I be going for ? Asus / Creative ???

Could someone clarify the above queries ?

shadow2get said:
* About the issues it has

Just make sure you are using a good surge protector rather than overcrowding substandard extension sockets.

shadow2get said:
* The audio quality with an Onboard / Dedicated soundcard

Good enough for mediocre speakers- but sound and sight perception differs from people. It will under utilise good speakers though

shadow2get said:
* Is it worth the money you spend on it ?

Some will say yes but many will say its not worth it. I haven't heard it though.

You 2 are a glutton for punishment...

Let me say how good it is..

Its the best 5.1-Off-The-shelf-PC-Desktop-Speakers. Nobody can argue about this.

Its worth the money.

Issues... the control pod LCD...the new SKU's do have bad circuitry...

Price of Z5500 was best at Home Town, Marathahalli and you can also have a demo of this set.

PS: I prefer Onkyo HT-S3100 (<20k) over Z5500. YOu can get demo of this at Croma (saw one in Koramangala)

Its the best 5.1-Off-The-shelf-PC-Desktop-Speakers. Nobody can argue about this.

and why not, the Onkyo has far more expandibility options, and a mucho better amplifier/processor than the 5500

^^^

Just coz i said PC desktop speakers...

Onkyo is Not a PC speaker system..its a HT system, thats how its branded and positioned..... get the facts straight.... There are tonnes of better alternatives for z5500. but for the category its in, nothing comes close.

I use Z5500 and heres my info on it:

I have purchased it around 8months back from Home Town, Marathahalli for Rs.14,999!!

I have NEVER faced any fuse problem!

But there is a problem with Backlight of the Control Pad.

Coming to the main question, whether it is worth.. well if you can get it for 15k, then its superb value for money.

Atleast try to get that for 17k incl all taxes....

No , at that price you can get stuff which is "WAY" better. Also , plus one to deathvirus_me , you really don't require it unless you use that much sound. You probably wouldn't be able to listen to it for too long.

m-jeri said:
I know on a online forum people tend to be smart.... :hap2:

Heard of goldsmund?? ... B&O ??.... :rofl: :rofl:

the buyer asked wether z5500 is worth it or not...
and being a user of the same from past 1 and half years i totally agree with jeri :)

it is worth it 100%

avoid it like the plague if your primary use is music unless of course your idea of good quality sound is faint highs drowned out by loud boomy bass.
i was (un)lucky enough to be amongst the first people to get the z5500, more than 3-4 years back. i had heard the z680 (which are imho better than the z5500) at my friends place and decided to get the z5500 for 24k and sell off my mx5021 to another friend.
i was horrified with the speakers the first time i set them, trance/house sounded awesome but when it came to metal/prog. rock they sounded pathetic. thinking i got a bum set i rushed back to the shop and got it changed only to find out the same boomy bass blasting out.
Later on (for a loss of 3k) i managed to palm them off to the same friend who was supposed to get my mx5021 :p .
lesson learnt : quality 2.1 speakers >>> average 5.1 speakers.
btw they are good vfm if you plan to use them for movies and games :)

Thanks for all your informative answers. I will have a look at the Logitech Z-5500 demo in Hometown, Marathahalli if available and will go to the Onkyo showroom / Croma for demo of HT-S3100/S3200.

I am trying to see if I can get Z5500 for less than 18k. Have asked Redbull if there is any offer on Z5500. Is anyone else on the forum dealers offering for lesser prices ?

Will be using it mainly for Games, Movies & Music.

BTW, some queries remain unanswered:

* Control pod LCD display issue - could someone explain in detail
* Other Alternatives to Z5500 within 20k budget
* Length of the wires you get for Front / Rear speakers

i never faced that LCD pod display issue ever... (used 2 sets)

dunno about any other alternatives

length of wires with z5500 can be extended like anythin... as much as u need

shadow2get said:
* Other Alternatives to Z5500 within 20k budget

I remember Sangram aka cranky guiding Jediknight to buy a similar 5.1 set of speakers. IIRC he ended up spending slightly more and getting a JBL system.

Back