Audio Logitech Z5500 or Creative S750?

prasadr

Disciple
I am torn between these and can't decide which one to go with:huh: any suggestions are welcome:) Z5500 is around 26k (rediff shopping) while S750 is 34k (indiatimes shopping)

whoa!! 26k for the z5500?? totally gone case pricing.. i've seen ppl buying it for 12k and complaining when it was at 14-15k.

well i had the same question 3 years ago but i went ahead and bought the S750,since it had better midrange and high then z5500 which only had a deeper boomy bass,where as the s750 had a tighter fast base.

but the price difference is a lot in india,i bought it from the US at that time the Z5500 used to retail for $275 and S750 for $430 both price from amazon,com 3years ago.at the time i also considered the onkyo HTIB which was cheaper the S750 and came with a receiver but from US forums at that time when i had a discussion they said the S750 was much better,do note the same S750 under cambridge soundworks name costs about $1000.
but at 34k in india i guess u are better of with jamo S406 package or S606 package,whose floorstanders give much better bass then the above multmedia speakers.

^^ It generally sells for arnd 18-20K in retail shops :mad: I was the one who bought in ebay for 12K+ and few others on ebay too.. That seller is no longer selling z-5500 speakers

Thanks for all the suggestions
@adder: S750 is no longer available in US. It's only available in our dump-yard:eek:hyeah: If I am not wrong, S406 is only speaker package and not complete system like S750/Z5500.
@buBlez: Z5500 is still being sold by ebay.

+1 for the above ,was wondering y he wants to spend 34K for those multimedia speakers ,they sound crap when compared to HT setup ,no offence to the people who are using these speakers ;)

If you are particular about surround sound in games and movies, then go for the S750.

If you are going to be listening to music 99% of the time think about an amp + floorstanders. You will get kickass speakers for that budget.

Mate, at anything > 30k i would suggest a proper av setup.. in case you are looking for gaming and movies ... and only want to buy HTIB's you can check out Onkyo HT-S5105 and HT-S5100 for 32k and 40k respectively.

Both of them have a very nice presence and will serve you a lot longer and much better then z5500 or creative.

prasadr said:
Thanks for all the suggestions
@adder: S750 is no longer available in US. It's only available in our dump-yard:eek:hyeah: If I am not wrong, S406 is only speaker package and not complete system like S750/Z5500.
@buBlez: Z5500 is still being sold by ebay.

the s750 is basicaly a rebadged cambridge soundworks newton series,where each sattelite of s750 is sold for $80,so $80x7=$560 just for the sattelites.but in creative name it was selling a lot cheaper.also the sub had a 8inch dual voice coil woofer so it goes deep yet fast,powered by a 210watts bash amplifier,at most of time the volume of the sub is kept at the lowest settings.also the internal components of creative gigaworks is much better then the z5500,the second reason why choosed gigaworks .dont forget logitech is selling for much cheaper depsite have a onboard decoder ,3 years ago creative also used to sell a S700 gigaworks which had 5 sattelites for $320 in amazon.com ,but with the option to add two sattelites more for extra $100.
well for 29k u can get the jamo S406 package(2flrs,2rearspeakers,1centre,not sure about sub) with a marantz SR3001 receiver.

Usage: 99% music and the remaining movies:D

Yesterday I auditioned S606 with Marantz at ezone, Blore (S406 out of stock). To simply put, it was awesome but pricing is the biggest concern. S606 alone costs 53K (2FS with in-built SW+1SW+1CS+2RS) and Onkyo amp costs around 22k. It definitely costs a bomb and way beyond 40K. And the guy mentioned Onkyo amp is much better than Marantz. Forgot the exact model number of both the amps.

Then continued my searching and found ProFX system at around 40K (Fusion seris). Need to audition them but any idea??

I have not heard the creative S750. However I own Z5500 and Creative FPS2000 Digital (4.1 and ancient, bought in 1999)

My old creative FPS2K sounds better when listening to Music while Z5500 is awesome when watching movies.

If Music is paramount then dont go for Z5500 but at the same time Movies really rock on Z5500 :)

prasadr said:

Yesterday I auditioned S606 with Marantz at ezone, Blore (S406 out of stock). To simply put, it was awesome but pricing is the biggest concern. S606 alone costs 53K (2FS with in-built SW+1SW+1CS+2RS) and Onkyo amp costs around 22k. It definitely costs a bomb and way beyond 40K. And the guy mentioned Onkyo amp is much better than Marantz. Forgot the exact model number of both the amps.

Then continued my searching and found ProFX system at around 40K (Fusion seris). Need to audition them but any idea??

if your usage is going to be 99% usage, do you really need surround speakers?

A good pair of stereo speakers would be a much better choice and there'll be enough ppl here to advice you on selecting a good set.

prasadr said:
I am torn between these and can't decide which one to go with:huh: any suggestions are welcome:) Z5500 is around 26k (rediff shopping) while S750 is 34k (indiatimes shopping)

What rubbish !! I saw Z5500 for 18K in Ezone (Nirmal Lifestyle, Mulund, Mumbai) YESTERDAY :)

prasadr said:

If its 99% for music, why are you even considering a surround sound setup? All music (bar DVD-A which is essentially non existent) is stereo - 2 channels. For ~35-40k, you'll get pretty good quality bookshelves with an integrated amp.

The main reason I am looking for surround setup is to avoid investing again on 5.1 later:) If I decide to go with stereo setup excl for music, where to start from? Any pointer here would be really helpful. I believe stereo setup would only include 2 speakers + amp + SW. Can I extend this later to a 5.1 setup? Also, do I need to look for Bookshelf speakers or floor-standers?

prasadr said:
The main reason I am looking for surround setup is to avoid investing again on 5.1 later:) If I decide to go with stereo setup excl for music, where to start from? Any pointer here would be really helpful. I believe stereo setup would only include 2 speakers + amp + SW. Can I extend this later to a 5.1 setup? Also, do I need to look for Bookshelf speakers or floor-standers?

You can get a AV receiver and get bookshelf speakers to begin with, later on you can add sub and rear speakers.

Go through the following thread, lot of your questions are already answered there :p

http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/audioengine-a5-or-passive-speakers-amplifier-112996.html

Back