Long USB 3.0 male to male cables or USB 3.0 Male diy connector

nitin_g3

Adept
I'm looking for 2 USB 3.0 type A male to male cables of 3 meter length each. Need to use those with a kvm switch.
I'm not able to find that long male to male cables online. There are plenty of male to female extension cables but can't find 3 meter long male to male.
I was also thinking of making my own cables if I can find the right 3.0 type headers and quality cable. I know there wouldn't have been hassle of doing all this if my monitor had a usb hub, but it doesn't, so.
Please let me know if anyone knows where I can buy any of them.

Why dont to you add a male to female cable to male to male cable, that way you will have male ports on either side.
You might have considered it , Asking out of curiosity why dont you want to do that

Can you try this?
Usb c to c is available in many sizes, maybe get those tiny/non cable female c to male a adaptors.
Not sure if usb 3.0 will work or not.

You might have considered it , Asking out of curiosity why dont you want to do that
I just thought that they may not work as good as a single cable. Also kvm switch will have to power through 3m long cable compared to 1m cable which comes with it.
Do you think there won't be any issue if I use an extension cable?

Btw this is the link of the kvm switch I have:
Can you try this?
Usb c to c is available in many sizes, maybe get those tiny/non cable female c to male a adaptors.
Not sure if usb 3.0 will work or not.
That's a good idea, USB 3.0 requires 9 connections, let me some research on it first.
Also if anyone has I idea where I can get a 9 wire cable then please let me know.
Based on thia USB 3.0 diagram, it has 9 wires:
usb3-type-a-male.png

If I can get a 9 wire cable which is used in a USB 3.0 cable from somewhere then I can solder that wire to already provided male to male cables and increase their length based on my requirement.

@SunnyBoi, I know you made custom wires for your custom keyboards, can please help if you know where I can get a 9 wire cable?

Last edited:
So ended up extending one USB 3.0 cable to 3 meters by soldering a 2 meters CAT 6 ethernet cable. Only soldered 8 wires and it works:
IMG_20210823_114941.jpg

IMG_20210823_121705.jpg

IMG_20210823_215227.jpg

I don't know it'll have all the features of a USB 3.0 or not but it serves my purpose.

Last edited:
Back