Longhorn Build 5048 sneak peak

Shripad

ex-Mod
I installed the newest Longhorn Build 5048 and here are some of the screenshots for you guys.
I will also put down the bugs list. The first impression of mine is ok. Not something that i expected but not bad. But some things are really screwed up.
But for now here are the screenies.

Problems so far

1. Firefox dosent work.
2. NF4 LAN dosent work even after installing drivers, so must use marvel.
3. Directsoound screwed up totally. Audigy2 is no go. Onboard audio works but no advanced directsound options available.
4. The search option is screwed. can only search c:
5. Even when firewall is enabled windows keep saying its not.
6. zonealarm wont install.

definitely not for this build. There is nothing that much new in this build. Almost same as XP with little nice touch to it. Even XP drivers work for the most pheripherals.
4073 was much more exciting.

In fact i am about to format my HDD ;)

Life without firefox is hell ;)
If i am to choose between longhorn and firefox i choose firefox :p

longhorn is good but the problem is.. it will take lotsa time... they wanted longhorn to match tiger... but i dont think longhorn will even be able to match Mac os 10.5 leave alone tiger... i'd go on to say that even panther(10.3) looks a lot better than longhorn.. and yes apple releases a new OS every 1.5-2 years.... and most importantly with new, innovative and bug-free :p features.

Hey guys, please tell me how to get Longhorn. Did you get it through the transformation pack or did you download the full OS.

If there are links where I can download Longhorn Beta please post.

Will be very grateful.

anishcool said:
Hey guys, please tell me how to get Longhorn. Did you get it through the transformation pack or did you download the full OS.

If there are links where I can download Longhorn Beta please post.

Will be very grateful.

There is no legal way to get Longhorn as of now! Try your luck on BitTorrent or IRC or other P2P networks! Since this forum does not allow the posting of warez links publicly, you may PM funky on where he got his "Version" of Longhorn! :eek:hyeah:

AlbertPacino said:
OK,lets not change the subject,if he has a question he can pm him.

Let's all please forget the "warez" for now...

Yeah, forget about "Warez"! There's no such thing on the planet! Its only in the imagination of the people! Its just a misunderstanding! :eek:hyeah:

Decided to give little more time to Longhorn.
Tested some games and benchmarks.
Results are almost same as Windows XP pro x64 edition. Within 5% of it. Little on slower side and thats imaginable cosidering the drivers I used were not optimised for Longhorn.

Office 2003 works, M$ antispyware works, all games i have worked just fine.
Internet seems zippy. I dont know how but my CSS pings have come down below 100 all of a sudden which never happened before.

I am surprised to see this kind of stability in Alpha version, though it could be bcoz this is based on Win2k3 code.

Overall the most stable ALPHA I have ever tested. Now only if the FireFox worked ;)

And yeah there is legal way to aquire Longhorn. MSDN :hap2:

And yeah this is DVD only build. No CD setup and from the official news final Longhorn will be DVD release only. And yes this is PUBLIC alpha build.

funkymonkey said:
And yeah there is legal way to aquire Longhorn. MSDN
Well...mate, what I meant to say there is that there is no legal way of getting Longhorn for free. You have to pay for the registration at MSDN!

BTW, good short review!

Back