Look Mom, No Moving Parts!

whatsinaname

Skilled
This just arrived in the mail today. :clap:

The X25-M G2. The mounting bracket arrives tomorrow and Windows 7 Professional on Friday. All set for the weekend. :D

Thanks everyone. Will be a tough two days, watching it sit there on the table.

Rockfella said:
What is this? Congrats anyway.
It's an Intel Generation 2 SSD.

sajitsm said:
How big is it?
Got the 80GB version. 160GB one is too expensive. 80GB should do fine for Windows, Applications and a few games.

anks22402 said:
aweosmee dudde !! i really wanna get one of these how much it costed u ??
After all cashback and discounts, cost me about 207.5$. So ~9.5k

malhotraraul said:
awesome mate, awesome, congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. :)

Its heard that certain precautions should be taken for SSDs...like indices should not be maintained..is that true?How difficult is to install them?I may get a 32 one if 7 can be installed in it...

sajitsm said:
Its heard that certain precautions should be taken for SSDs...like indices should not be maintained..is that true?How difficult is to install them?I may get a 32 one if 7 can be installed in it...

Windows 7 automatically detects an SSD (either by read speed or by device ID) and turns off auto-defragmentation, which is the only thing you have to check for.

The Intel G2 with the latest firmware should work perfectly out of the box.

People suggest that you turn off indexing, superfetch, pagefile etc to elongate the life of the SSD but you shouldn't bother about that. I think, for daily usage of writing/erasing about 20GB to the drive, it should last for ten years at least!

ubergeek said:
congrats to the first indian to posses the ssd

Check sig ;)

@whatsinaname : Make sure you enable AHCI in the BIOS, and update to the latest, TRIM-supporting firmware. Good to go after that. Windows 7 loads in ~17 seconds to desktop on my X-25M. The best upgrade I've ever given my PC.

Congrats.. Post a short review with bechies when you find time.

ubergeek said:
congrats to the first indian to posses the ssd

LOL.. Isn't that a bit too far fetched. Even the lowly Net books were sold with SSD's initally. Lots of people in India already use SSD's. I am not sure it's a even a first on TE.

Back