Look Mom, No Moving Parts!

whatsinaname said:
It's an Intel Generation 2 SSD.

Dude, it's very confusing. What is it again ? Trust me I googled, but it was rather difficult to comprehend what it is and what it does :p

Can you provide a direct link to it's product page? Would love to read what it does and check out it's specs :)

No offense dude. Just too curious :D

By the way, congrats on the purchase buddy :)

Edit:

Emil said:
Congrats!

Oh and BTW smart thread title.

Ya...thats whats confusing me the most :p

ubergeek said:
congrats to the first indian to posses the ssd

You are hurting thousands if not lakhs of Indians who own a SSD by saying that. Its not even the first, Generation 2 Intel SSD in an Indian's hand.

Amazing purchase man, have heard only great things about that Intel SSD.....

@ravihpa: visit anandtech.com storage section for good articles on these devices...

I have also given in to temptation and got my coworker to order one for me - Crucial CT128M225 128gb SSD coming to around Rs 24-25k :D ... I should be posting showoff/pics Mon/Tue... will that make me the third TE member to get one of these babies?

Thanks everyone.

TechHead said:
Check sig ;)

@whatsinaname : Make sure you enable AHCI in the BIOS, and update to the latest, TRIM-supporting firmware. Good to go after that. Windows 7 loads in ~17 seconds to desktop on my X-25M. The best upgrade I've ever given my PC.

Yeah, I was waiting for the new TRIM supporting firmware to come out (a firmware that does not brick the drives :p) before I bought it. Didn't want the hassle of sending TRIM commands manually every day. That's the reason I didn't get the Gen 1, though it was a bit cheaper in some places.

I will use AHCI mode for normal operation, but I had one question. The Intel firmware update guide suggests that I put it in IDE mode for firmware update. Is that a necessary step? I am asking because I have seen some people say updating in AHCI is ok! What did you end up doing?

ravihpa said:
Dude, it's very confusing. What is it again ? Trust me I googled, but it was rather difficult to comprehend what it is and what it does :p

Can you provide a direct link to it's product page? Would love to read what it does and check out it's specs :)

No offense dude. Just too curious :D

By the way, congrats on the purchase buddy :)

Edit:

Ya...thats whats confusing me the most :p

No offense taken. :tongue:

It's basically an 80GB hard disk. HDDs store data in magnetic discs, SSDs use solid state memory (like in pen drives.) The drive, therefore, has no mechanical parts of rotating platters or moving read/write head.

whatsinaname said:
Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I was waiting for the new TRIM supporting firmware to come out (a firmware that does not brick the drives :p) before I bought it. Didn't want the hassle of sending TRIM commands manually every day. That's the reason I didn't get the Gen 1, though it was a bit cheaper in some places.
I will use AHCI mode for normal operation, but I had one question. The Intel firmware update guide suggests that I put it in IDE mode for firmware update. Is that a necessary step? I am asking because I have seen some people say updating in AHCI is ok! What did you end up doing?

No offense taken. :tongue:
It's basically an 80GB hard disk. HDDs store data in magnetic discs, SSDs use solid state memory (like in pen drives.) The drive, therefore, has no mechanical parts of rotating platters or moving read/write head.

Mine was in IDE mode. Flashed it before installing Windows 7.

whatsinaname said:
Pics from a cell phone camera. Don't own a proper one. Please make do. :D

Bloody, it's time you got a better one! Buzz me. :p

As for the SSD, it's time I got one too! :D Congrats bugger.
EDIT: Oh and 80GB is a perfect size considering my C:\ is a round 80GB partition and I have no need for more for my photo-editing needs. :D
Cheers!
Payne

-D.Payne- said:
Bloody, it's time you got a better one! Buzz me. :p

As for the SSD, it's time I got one too! :D Congrats bugger.
EDIT: Oh and 80GB is a perfect size considering my C:\ is a round 80GB partition and I have no need for more for my photo-editing needs. :D
Cheers!
Payne

@Payne :D I am not adding another sinkhole for my disposable income. (I am sure, once I start, I will not be happy with a basic point and shoot.

So after some delays receiving Windows 7 and the bay adapter, it's finally up and running. Someone asked for benchmarks, so here they are. I didn't run them on a fresh install. This is after moving all my steam games to the drive (and almost filling it up in the process) and then deleting games I wouldn't be playing any time soon.

SSD (CrystalDiscMark 2.2)

For comparison, my WD6400AKS

Back