Monitors Looking for a 27-inch colour-accurate monitor that can also game!

NinjaTheory

Disciple
I've used colour-calibrated monitors to date for work as a photographer and graphic designer. I have always prioritised IPS displays for their viewing angles and forgone faster refresh rates because quick refresh colour-accurate monitors were expensive.

Now I picked up a 7900XTX and want to game at higher refresh rates but still work on the same system with proper colour accuracy.

It needs to be 27 inches and I am quite happy with a 1440p resolution on it. Seeking suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

LG 27GN800-B is for you.

Things I like about this monitor -
IPS monitor
Resolution - 2K QHD 2560 x 1440
Refresh Rate - 144Hz
Color Gamut - sRGB 99% (CIE1931)
Color Depth - 10 Bit panel (1.07B colors) (This one is special not that 8 bit rubbish)
Seems to have G-Sync/FreeSync

LG claims it be color calibrated, whatever that means I trust them more than the other brands.

LG 27GN800-B is for you.

IPS monitor
Refresh Rate - 144Hz
Color Depth - 10 Bit panel (1.07B colors) (This one is special not that 8 bit rubbish)

LG claims it be color calibrated, whatever that means I trust them more than the other brands.
Thank you!

I need something that also does SRGB 100%, Rec. 709 100% and if possible Adobe RGB 100%. DCI-P3 can be anywhere around 95% though. My current monitor which will be retired to a secondary display as the colours are a bit off now due to age does all those already and is 10-Bit. Only misses the 144Hz refresh rate.

I need something that also does SRGB 100%, Rec. 709 100% and if possible Adobe RGB 100%. DCI-P3 can be anywhere around 95% though.
Then you are in the professional editing monitors category, which I think won't have the gaming aspects. If you try to get it all in the one monitor, it will not do all of those things perfectly, remember everything is a trade off.

Maybe other techenclave member can find you one.

Then you are in the professional editing monitors category, which I think won't have the gaming aspects. If you try to get it all in one monitor, it will not do everything perfectly; remember, everything is a trade-off.

They cost more, which I don't mind either. These monitors last a few years before the whites start not being white, and I retire them to just a secondary screen for Word documents, etc (vertical). Which is what is going to happen to my current one. That means I need first and foremost 100% colour gamut coverage plus factory calibration with a certificate. I can calibrate after that as and when required. It would be nice to get all that plus 144hz, at least right?

MSI MAG274QRF-QD (don't buy non-QD one)
It has 99.5% sRGB, 100% ARGB, 96% DCI P3 & 81% Rec 2020. I doubt you will get anything better as even OLEDs get close to it or are inferior, but OLEDs have non-RGB sub-pixel layout, which affects text clarity mostly. You might have to calibrate the display though, based on which colour space you want to use primarily.

What's your budget? I have seen Rec 709 mode being available on Acer monitors. These days most IPS with QD films can achieve near 100% coverage for adobe rgb and 95% p3.
Do you have a calibration device?

You can go through this list of panels and short list a few and search the panel model- https://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php?st=4&pl=&so_attr=&sizes[]=2700&st=11 . Pick models that are in produtcion and have active stock. Some results will show reddit post or displayspecification site links of the selected panel being used in monitor. You can then check the reviews for those monitors.
Alternative XD: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/picture-quality/color-gamut

Last edited:
I am in a very similar boat, looking for a 1440p monitor for gaming and general browsing / office work.

LG 27GN800-B is for you.

IPS monitor
Refresh Rate - 144Hz

Amazon has LG 27GN800 listed for 22k. Is that same as 27GN800-B ?

MSI MAG274QRF-QD (don't buy non-QD one)
It has 99.5% sRGB, 100% ARGB, 96% DCI P3 & 81% Rec 2020. I doubt you will get anything better as even OLEDs get close to it or are inferior, but OLEDs have non-RGB sub-pixel layout, which affects text clarity mostly. You might have to calibrate the display though, based on which colour space you want to use primarily.

Amazon seems to have this one for 30k, 28k after bank offers. Does MSI have on-site warranty for monitors? Amazon is only offering a Service Center Replacement on it, not sure how that works.

What's your budget? I have seen Rec 709 mode being available on Acer monitors. These days most IPS with QD films can achieve near 100% coverage for adobe rgb and 95% p3.
Do you have a calibration device?

You can go through this list of panels and short list a few and search the panel model- https://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist.php?st=4&pl=&so_attr=&sizes[]=2700&st=11 . Pick models that are in produtcion and have active stock. Some results will show reddit post or displayspecification site links of the selected panel being used in monitor. You can then check the reviews for those monitors.
Alternative XD: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/picture-quality/color-gamut
My budget would be up to about 50k I guess. You can get sort of accurate monitors at about 30k so the extra I am willing to pay is for the gaming aspect of it all.

Panelook is nuts and I got lost there. Rtings is alright, but not as comprehensive given the market it caters to and models available there vs here. Price also factors into their ratings and what is cheap for them can be expensive for us changing the relevance of the score. Meanwhile, Benq makes great monitors but rarely features in detail on their site.
I am in a very similar boat, looking for a 1440p monitor for gaming and general browsing / office work.

Amazon seems to have this one for 30k, 28k after bank offers. Does MSI have on-site warranty for monitors? Amazon is only offering a Service Center Replacement on it, not sure how that works.
Do you need colour accuracy to a professional level? If not, most gaming monitors will meet your needs.

You can get sort of accurate monitors at about 30k so the extra I am willing to pay is for the gaming aspect of it all.
Then you can settle for MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD. With Auo M270DAN08.2 it's rated for 100% Adobe rgb out of factory.
Only issue I could nitpick would be black uniformity not being good (thats actually prevalent in all IPS panels these days). To confirm panel on your unit you can access the service menu.
As for certification, I haven't bought any MSI monitor to confirm that, I have seen acer provide sRGB calibration certification.
From multiple reviews the avg cct is around 7000k, which is quite cool (I personally use 6200-6300 for my eye comfort).
Thats the conundrum with budget models lack of color modes separating different color spaces and out of wack average cct, and high Delta e.
Other alternative are LG nano-IPS (aka ksf phosphors) which favors P3 more than A-RGB. Add to that poor contrast.
Having a color calibrator or renting one would make your life very easy...

Last edited:

Sadly because of Flipkart's anti-consumer policies, amazon is lowering their standards. But wrong or damaged product will still be replaced by amazon, unlike FK.

Suffix of LG monitors change with region, I think. GN800 is same as the one rtings.com reviewed. IMO you don't have to spend 30k on MSI, can get Acer XV272U V3 & save 10k (whenever it gets back in stock on amazon) or get the LG (which I personally will avoid because of contrast ratio but not everyone is as sensitive).

My budget would be up to about 50k I guess. You can get sort of accurate monitors at about 30k so the extra I am willing to pay is for the gaming aspect of it all.

Panelook is nuts and I got lost there. Rtings is alright, but not as comprehensive given the market it caters to and models available there vs here. Price also factors into their ratings and what is cheap for them can be expensive for us changing the relevance of the score. Meanwhile, Benq makes great monitors but rarely features in detail on their site.
Get MAG274QRF-QD & calibrate it. Will be enough. It has better colour spectrum coverage than 4K 144Hz monitors available for 45k, if you prioritise colour accuracy that much. 80% Rec 2020 coverage is pretty rare. Check its review by Hardware Unboxed as well.

I think if you would wait a few more days then Diwali sale would drop the price from 22 to atleast 20 (hopefully 18-19 with all card discounts and what not)
Also is this better than Gigabyte M27Q from mostly a gaming standpoint and slight content consumption?

get the LG (which I personally will avoid because of contrast ratio but not everyone is as sensitive).
Most of the IPS panels from all the brands have the contrast ratio of 1000:1. They all state that this is the contrast ratio, but what the actual contrast ratio is could be slightly different.

The more bigger problem than contrast ratio is the inconsistent back light bleed around corners, which may seem like it's a contrast ratio problem because it affects blacks, but in reality it's the back light bleed which makes the blacks go dull more than the contrast ratio.

The back light bleed dominates the contrast ratio.

The 1:1000 contrast ratio is good enough for normal tasks, but once you are spoiled by the infinite contrast ratio of the OLED panel, nothing feels right.

Last edited:
Most of the IPS panels from all the brands have the contrast ratio of 1000:1. They all state that this is the contrast ratio, but what the actual contrast ratio is could be slightly different.

The more bigger problem than contrast ratio is the inconsistent back light bleed around corners, which may seem like it's a contrast ratio problem because it affects blacks, but in reality it's the back light bleed which makes the blacks go dull more than the contrast ratio.

The back light bleed dominates the contrast ratio.

The 1:1000 contrast ratio is good enough for normal tasks, but once you are spoiled by the infinite contrast ratio of the OLED panel, nothing feels right.
I have no issue with 1000:1 contrast ratio of IPS panel. Check GN800 or other high end nano IPS panel LG monitor's contrast ratio, it is close to 800:1.

My old monitor was Acer VG240Ys, then I moved to Asus 1440p 170Hz. I could notice a bit lower contrast ratio on my Asus, might be 1100:1 vs 1000:1 difference, but many reviewers have said that 800:1 of nano IPS is on low side but most people upgrading from inferior monitors will surely get used to it.

OLED is a different beast for sure. I am still waiting for prices to be more affordable.

Thoughts on the

ALIENWARE 27 GAMING MONITOR - AW2723DF?​

It's going for 57,699 on Dell India.
Poor value as usual from Dell. Generally, I found Dell products overpriced relative to competition in India vs USA.

Gamers can buy Samsung G7 1440p 240Hz for 35k. For your colour-related usage, it is worse, even if factory calibration is better.

As I mentioned earlier, you can buy MSI & buy hardware for calibration as MSI has a panel with wider colour coverage on multiple colour spaces. Spyder X pro is under 16k now on amazon. If you are serious about colour-accurate work, a monitor colour calibrator will be a long-term investment. Search more on how to use it, other benefits, etc.

IMO 240Hz is not worth it for most gamers, unless they are serious about esports gaming.

Poor value as usual from Dell. Generally, I found Dell products overpriced relative to competition in India vs USA.

Gamers can buy Samsung G7 1440p 240Hz for 35k. For your colour-related usage, it is worse, even if factory calibration is better.

As I mentioned earlier, you can buy MSI & buy hardware for calibration as MSI has a panel with wider colour coverage on multiple colour spaces. Spyder X pro is under 16k now on amazon. If you are serious about colour-accurate work, a monitor colour calibrator will be a long-term investment. Search more on how to use it, other benefits, etc.

IMO 240Hz is not worth it for most gamers, unless they are serious about esports gaming.
Waiting on the Spyder from a friend travelling. Price in US is half Amazon India.

Yeah I don't need the 240Hz TBH, the only concern I have with MSI is service support overall and in India. They don't have a stellar reputation I felt. Then again, if nothing is wrong with it on delivery, chances are it'll be fine till it dies a natural death in a few years.

Agreed, Dell is overpriced but in my monitor experiences over the decades, LG has died on me, never owned Samsung but saw it in a store the other day and it felt cheap and flimsy. The same applied to Gigabyte. Dell Ultrasharps were excellent till they died too. But my Dell did last a while. Benq has been rock solid though.

As us ProArt was tempted and its on a good deal now and is good for work, just not gaming.

It seems like no one is rocking the monitor market.

Waiting on the Spyder from a friend travelling. Price in US is half Amazon India.

Yeah I don't need the 240Hz TBH, the only concern I have with MSI is service support overall and in India. They don't have a stellar reputation I felt. Then again, if nothing is wrong with it on delivery, chances are it'll be fine till it dies a natural death in a few years.

Agreed, Dell is overpriced but in my monitor experiences over the decades, LG has died on me, never owned Samsung but saw it in a store the other day and it felt cheap and flimsy. The same applied to Gigabyte. Dell Ultrasharps were excellent till they died too. But my Dell did last a while. Benq has been rock solid though.

As us ProArt was tempted and its on a good deal now and is good for work, just not gaming.

It seems like no one is rocking the monitor market.
MSI has a bad reputation for after sales for laptops. For others, it is ok, in general the after sales services in India is inferior to ones in developed countries, can't do much about that. MSI is a very reputed PC part maker.

I bought 2x budget 24" 1080p 75Hz monitor for my parent's place, one was Dell S series & some cheaper Samsung one. Samsung one ended being the better monitor, so being used as a monitor whereas Dell is used as CCTV's display. I am personally using Acer VG240Ys for 3+ years now. IMO most such parts work without issues for long, but sometimes you get unlucky. Also, in general, electronics have lower life now vs maybe 10 years back.

You do realise that monitors are a niche market. Most people use laptops or phones. Still, we have some good options in India, sadly have to live with those.

the only concern I have with MSI is service support overall and in India. They don't have a stellar reputation I felt. Then again, if nothing is wrong with it on delivery, chances are it'll be fine till it dies a natural death in a few years.
It's premium dog shite tier. Carry-in warranty only for monitors (not sure about premium models though), and I've seen 2 msi simply dying within 2 to 3 years of 2 of my acquaintance. Yeah speaks enough for quality. Stick with Dell ultrasharp, or LG premium range of monitors. Absolutely make sure to check the maker of the panel, those basic Auo or other entry range are simply poor and should never be considered.

Back