Looking For A Cheap Netbook

Arjun

Skilled
I need a netbook or other similar internet device , dont have a budget, as cheap as possible , i have never owned a laptop/netbook so cant provide details on what exactly i am looking for i will mainly use it for browsing net plus watching xvid/youtube videos, will prefer to run win7 on it. Will be used mainly inside my house using wifi broadband.

this one is cheap and good ASUS X101H with 3 cell battery

i bought this for my father this december Samsung N100-MA05IN Netbook (6 cell battery )

I upgraded RAM to 2GB and I watched HD highlights of some EPL matches on that and it played fine.

they both will come with a custom linux OS called meego but i installed Win 7 on it and runs perfectly well.

Try buying offline as flipkart prices are more than 500 above local prices

There was an offer on the Acer Aspire One on Ebay for 14.2k. Look out for similar offers. Anything less than 15k is a good price generally.

Despite cheap prices I would advice you not to go for Acer (Acer = junk after few months of use) as its build quality and components inside are usually compromised and their service is also bad. Asus would be a much better option. Also keep battery backup in mind as I believe this will give you greater mobility.( although you did say you will use it inside your house)

Here are some models below 15K

1. Asus 1015PX - comes with DOS or linux but you can always install Windows

2. Asus X series X101H - Intel Meego OS which can be again replaced

3. Asus R051PX - Windows 7 starter, Intel N570 but not available online currently. You have to enquire locally.

Thanks for the suggestions guys , should i go for atom based or there are some other value for money alternatives? even if slightly higher priced.

For your requirements, an Atom based processor is more than enough. Get the 11K Meego based Asus netbook as suggested above. You can install Win 7 over it.

These two questions will probably decide what to filter out.

1. Windows or Linux ? Are you comfortable with using Linux as the primary netbook OS ?

2. Will the netbook be used while travelling ? Then 3-cell will suck big time and you NEED to get 6-cell.

Oh and avoid Acer like plague. They have serious quality control related issues. Asus, MSI are the best cheap brands right now.

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/l...7c026e7b&cid=20210&layout=grid&sort=price_asc

The above link should help you select a laptop yourself
<

[font=arial, sans-serif]Win7 is a must , i already have the OS, will be used very rarely while travelling but i will still get a 6 cell , can the ram be upgraded without voiding warranty in all netbooks like in the Asus netbook used in the mod by rakesh_sharma ?[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]How is this Amd fusion based @ 18999 [/font]HP Pavilion DM1-3210AU | HP laptops | Saholic.com[font=arial, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Going by the reviews for it , this is a good netbook and will give you good battery life of around 5 hours too. Though I believe the specs given on saholic.com are a bit off the mark But the catch here seems to be the AMD processor which is given as E 300 and not E350 as given on many other sites. The battery life is certainly more than 3 hours provided you are not watching movies on it non-stop.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I would suggest you go for it but I don't know much about the reliability of this particular site. This same netbook is avaialble on flipkart , right gadgets and infibeam but the cost is around 2K more. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Other than deciding on the site, I guess this should be a good buy. [/font]

http://liliputing.co...ips-can-do.html - Here is a link to a video from AMD about the E 300 processor. They are claiming 9.45 hours battery life but in real life scenarios I guess 6 would be a safe bet.

http://notebooksnews.com/processors/amd-e300-review-benchmark/

I will suggest you to grab a Fusion based product. Either the Aspire 522 which is a lower end ontario model with C50/60 chip.

The chip is capable of churning out full hd content with ease, given the software can utilise the UVD engine. (Mplayer Classic for example)

Even ATOM are decent for general needs but the issue is, ATOM processors are inorder execution. Compared to AMD Fusion (out order execution), working with ATOM will require higher cpu utilization as a result more heat and lesser performance and a dent in the battery performance.

So better off with Fusion to be on the safe side. http://www.flipkart....e9-b8667abad64d | http://www.flipkart....af-507ae0fdb27c

There are other models available from Sony, Dell and Asus. So you have plenty of options to choose.

^ Will go for fusion thanks , If the price is accurate i think this is a good deal , has a bigger screen too , have to check with SMC what the current price is after the dollar/rupee fluctuation Asus X53U-SX067D Laptop

Available for the same price at H18 ASUS X53U-SX067D (AMD - 2GB - 320GB - DOS - 15.6'') Laptop . Buy Best ASUS X53U-SX067D (AMD - 2GB - 320GB - DOS - 15.6'') Laptop at Lowest Price Online

Also getting MSI Amd E-450 based netbook with HD 6320 gpu & usb3, 14" screen for 18500 /-

^ the requirement was a netbook because i did not want to spend too much but if i can get a fusion based laptop for around 6k more than a atom netbook then according to what i have read here and on sites like anandtech about fusion its a good deal and when the hardware is faster it will probably be able to do more than what i originally wanted it to.

Back