Budget 41-50k Looking for a NAS, NVR, Plex solution for home

nitin_g3

Adept
I'm looking for a solution which can serve my below requirements:
  1. NVR for at most 6-7 IP cameras
  2. NAS for multimedia storage and personal photo backup.
  3. Plex for streaming.
I've checked Synology DS224+ which serves all above requirements. Not sure how much will it cost in total with 8-16 TB HDD.

I'm looking out for suggestions, whether synology is best for my requirements? Are there any other options which are simple and plug and play, don't require much maintenance, don't consume much electricity with 24/7 operation, is reliable?

TIA.

Synology is great for your use case. It presents the simplest plug and play option with, what is, probably the best NAS UI in the planet.
You will have to factor in the cost, however, as the model you mentioned comes at more than 30k from what I see online. You need to add the cost of HDDs, additional RAM, if needed and surveillance license ( the default supports a max of two cams, I think).

Additional license from Synology or camera manufacturer?
Synology, and it's not cheap -
The license is to enable adding devices (more than what it supports by default for that NAS model) to Synology's own Surveillance Station software.
I am not sure if you can use other Surveillance software; you will need to research or let others help.

Last edited:
The license is to enable adding devices (more than what it supports by default for that NAS model) to Synology's own Surveillance Station software.
Just checked this, on Amazon it's 30k for 4 additional cameras.

It's expensive, not sure if it's worth it.

Do I still need the license if I only need to store the stream and not do any detection and all AI stuff?
Basically I'm fine as long as it can simple store the stream 24/7.

Last edited:
Do I still need the license if I only need to store the stream and not do any detection and all AI stuff?
Sorry but I am not sure about this. From what I understand, the Surveillance Station software may not work if you want to configure more than 2 cameras (max. default) with it for that specific model. You will need to do your own research.

Just checked this, on Amazon it's 30k for 4 additional cameras.

It's expensive, not sure if it's worth it.

I have read that you can run a different NVR software in docker to bypass the limit from Synology. Their pricing on camera licenses is ridiculous.

Back