Budget 51-70k Looking for a new GPU: Considering All Options from RX 6800 and Up.

PH0ENiX

Skilled
hello folks, I am upgrading from a 6 year old GTX 1070 driving a 1440p ultrawide. This is purely a gaming rig, my budget is 65k tops and I have to make a decision in the next 24 hours.

My first choice was buying a RX 68/6900 XT or an RTX 4070 from USA, comes to about 35 to 45K. That is till I found a reddit discussion about attractive GPU deals on Flipkart (I cant find any myself lol) I would prefer buying a GPU in India if the price difference isn't much more than about 10K. I'm willing to consider any GPU starting from the RX 6800, the crucial question is: what's the best GPU deal weighing Price-to-Performance Ratio?

Thanks!

GPUs and almost everything you get from US won't have warranty here, so factor that into the equation as well. If there's an issue with it you'll have to send it back to US.

Those were sale prices, which ended. AFAIK the "best deal" currently is on Amazon: 6800xt @ 60k & 6950xt @ 70k... minus card discounts.

4000 series is powerful, but with lower VRAM than AMDs, Nvidia wants you to depend on DLSS (which not all games support) to upscale.

i have seen rx6800xt consistently @50k in flipkart . (msi and asrock ones)
also 3080ti colourful and msi models were on sale @50/52k respectively.
NOTE- this was without any card/cashback offers and during the last 5-8days

GPUs and almost everything you get from US won't have warranty here, so factor that into the equation as well. If there's an issue with it you'll have to send it back to US.
Those were sale prices, which ended. AFAIK the "best deal" currently is on Amazon: 6800xt @ 60k & 6950xt @ 70k... minus card discounts.
I wholeheartedly agree with your thoughts on the warranty. You may remember when the RX 480, which was $200 (12-13K) at launch, was priced at 30K in India. There are instances when purchasing from the USA is a smart choice. However, this does not seem to be one of those occasions. It's unfortunate that the deals are no longer available.

I understand your point about Nvidia's push for dependency on DLSS for upscaling and while I don't disagree with your facts, For me, added features offered by Nvidia make the card worthwhile: Path tracing, better VR performance, and at least 200W lower power consumption. - unless there is another critique of the 4070 that I am missing out on.

After scouting for the past few hours, the best deal (to me) looks like an RTX 4070 from Vedant for 59k~ that's even lower than the initial launch price. It's noteworthy that this pricing is on par with what the card costs in the US (with taxes). What's the catch? Also, can i negotiate an even lower price in person??

1683835678674.png

As a 3070 owner, RT is not worth the performance dip for most games. Games are getting heavier, so with 4070 you will likely run the game at 1440p ultra/high w/o RT at 70+ fps for a smooth experience in new games. Just check CP 2077 benchmarks for an idea. DLSS/FSR at quality mode is definitely usable at 1440p as render resolution will be slightly below 1080p.

IMO 4070 at that price can be considered. It is very power efficient, this is its main advantage. 6800XT will likely still age like fine wine because of the 16GB VRAM. You can run games at max. texture quality w/o worry.

Usually, AsRock & Sapphire models are the cheapest for 6800XT, which isn't ideal. Heard of RMA issues of Sapphire, AsRock is relatively new for GPUs. Not sure who handles RMA for both of them or which will be better for RMA.

1440p ultrawide will likely consume more VRAM than normal 1440p, so keep that in mind.

As a 3070 owner, RT is not worth the performance dip for most games. Games are getting heavier, so with 4070 you will likely run the game at 1440p ultra/high w/o RT at 70+ fps for a smooth experience in new games. Just check CP 2077 benchmarks for an idea. DLSS/FSR at quality mode is definitely usable at 1440p as render resolution will be slightly below 1080p.

IMO 4070 at that price can be considered. It is very power efficient, this is its main advantage. 6800XT will likely still age like fine wine because of the 16GB VRAM. You can run games at max. texture quality w/o worry.

Usually, AsRock & Sapphire models are the cheapest for 6800XT, which isn't ideal. Heard of RMA issues of Sapphire, AsRock is relatively new for GPUs. Not sure who handles RMA for both of them or which will be better for RMA.

1440p ultrawide will likely consume more VRAM than normal 1440p, so keep that in mind.
why does ultrawide consumes more vram?
isnt ultrawide like a strecthed res/different aspect ratio?
or is it like a different resolution altogether?

As a 3070 owner, RT is not worth the performance dip for most games.
Completely agree. Other than reflections, RT does not seem to make games better to look at. Perhaps more accurate but you probably will have to be a lightening expert to see that. At best it makes say a 5% diff to me with large hit on frame rates. Even Screen space reflections can get close - saw that in GTA 5 mod - NaturalVision Evolved.

DLSS is probably more important when it works - because it seems to be better than FSR, esp at lower quality settings. But even that is not foolproof. Control was blurry in DLSS quality 1080p for me.
So all things being equal these are bonus features. But looking at it now ( have 3080 10gb), i wouldnt trade it for higher VRAM/raster perf. Textures make things look good too, much more so than RT.

why does ultrawide consumes more vram?
isnt ultrawide like a strecthed res/different aspect ratio?
or is it like a different resolution altogether?
Ultrawide monitors gobble up more VRAM because they're a different resolution altogether. 3440x1440 (QHD ultrawide) VS 2560 x 1440 (QHD)

Completely agree. Other than reflections, RT does not seem to make games better to look at.
Its true, but one notable exception is path tracing, which is a different beast altogether:

Ultrawide monitors gobble up more VRAM because they're a different resolution altogether. 3440x1440 (QHD ultrawide) VS 2560 x 1440 (QHD)

Its true, but one notable exception is path tracing, which is a different beast altogether:
In future things might change, but today probably not.

Quake 2 had path tracing mod that i played through. Its nice, but the frame hit is massive for a game like cyberpunk (20fps at 4k wo DLSS for 4090) so its irrelevant and i still don't think it makes proportionate image quality diff. That said i have not played cyberpunk with path tracing and wont anytime soon. I wont buy a 12 gb expensive card today for that certainly. Low VRAM = planned obsolescence. Just look at medium vs high textures in many games and you will see what i mean. Textures have no performance cost if you have VRAM, so having more means you can keep up with future games with best quality textures.

Look at the image comparisons here. Its subjective, but definitely not worth the cost for me ( frame rates/money) and certainly not with VRAM as compromise. Its usually just very subtle differences.

Another factor - not clear yet but in unreal 5 games, maybe RT performance is similar for Nvidia and AMD cards. I think that happens in fortnite and i have seen somewhere else too ( cant remember, perhaps matrix demo). Doom Eternal too i think if i remember right.

If i was buying today, its either 4090 ( crazy price .. ) or AMD cards as amd has better raster and better VRAM for the same price. Perhaps would wait for 6800xt replacement to avoid large power draw of 6950xt. Or used Nvidia if I really want nvidia..

Last edited:
The system you have now could be a starting point for upgrade. For example, any 6 core CPU from 2020/21 will be able to keep up with most of the current gen GPU. You'll need at least a 650w PSU as well. So it would be a good idea to list your complete system specs.

I would recommend the RX 6800 XT, for VRAM, no other reason. You can expect software RT to come along with newer titles due to UE5, so hardware RT is not something that should be kept in mind while purchasing a GPU rn. More VRAM is also necessary for pushing more pixels, something that you'll definitely appreciate down the line.
Check this for a thorough comparison-

Back