Storage Solutions Looking for a PCIe 4.0 SSD

Nanda_G

Recruit
Hello!
I am looking for a 1 TB PCIe Gen 4 SSD for my laptop, do you all have any suggestions? I am looking at Silicon Power UD85 for 4185 Rupees on Amazon and it has upto 3600 MB/s and 2800 MB/s read and write speed respectively, is there anywhere I could compare the different SSD performance such as the Samsung/Crucial ones to choose one? Or if you know any other SSDs that considered the best in performance and price, let me know.

Samsung 980 pro / 990 pro are quite efficient and strike a good balance between performance and power. Crucial cheaper drives are QLC, and not that efficient. Avoid the 970 evo, runs relatively hot. Newer WD SSDs like sn770 are decent, but they lack the dram cache (tho has hmb). Firecuda 530 is also a high end drive, and really efficient too.

I understand that all the drives I've recommended don't come cheap, but efficiency is a recurring benefit and paying slightly more upfront makes sense to me.

I just bought a laptop as well, purchased one 2tb 980 pro from a reseller here, after considering the same parameters.

Avoid the XPG s70, it's a good drive on paper but prone to failures.

Samsung 980 pro / 990 pro are quite efficient and strike a good balance between performance and power. Crucial cheaper drives are QLC, and not that efficient. Avoid the 970 evo, runs relatively hot. Newer WD SSDs like sn770 are decent, but they lack the dram cache (tho has hmb). Firecuda 530 is also a high end drive, and really efficient too.

I understand that all the drives I've recommended don't come cheap, but efficiency is a recurring benefit and paying slightly more upfront makes sense to me.

I just bought a laptop as well, purchased one 2tb 980 pro from a reseller here, after considering the same parameters.

Avoid the XPG s70, it's a good drive on paper but prone to failures.
Any opinions on Silicon Power?

Do you specifically need Gen4 speeds for a particular usage? Gen3 drives are still relevant for general usage and much cheaper.

Hello!
I am looking for a 1 TB PCIe Gen 4 SSD for my laptop, do you all have any suggestions? I am looking at Silicon Power UD85 for 4185 Rupees on Amazon and it has upto 3600 MB/s and 2800 MB/s read and write speed respectively, is there anywhere I could compare the different SSD performance such as the Samsung/Crucial ones to choose one? Or if you know any other SSDs that considered the best in performance and price, let me know.
Brands to take into consideration are Crucial, WD, Seagate. Samsung have disappointed recently with the ssd due many issues. Samsung 970plus is a good one but is gen3. I would recommend FireCuda 530 for gen4. personally have Samsung 960plus and FireCuda 530. works flawless.

You didnt mention the usage, whether the drive is going to be used as boot drive+general storage or purely storage drive?
Silicon Power us85 is similar to Kingston NV2, which is good for storage but consumes a bit more power due to using hmb (your systems RAM) whenever its used or even on idle. Every mW counts in a laptop.
To know which drive is similar to which this link would help (*).

Apart from that these plots would help get a general idea-
Link 1 (Idle Power draw, Aspm disabled, boot drive)
Link 2 (Idle Power draw, for general storage)
Link 3 ( Avg Power draw for write)
Link 4 (Avg power draw for mixed usage)

The plots cover most drives and if the one you're looking for isn't on it look for a similar one using the link above (*). Similar means having same controller and nand type.
Lastly as other members have suggested if possible try sticking with good known brands but going for something that is more budget oriented isn't bad either.

is there anywhere I could compare the different SSD performance such as the Samsung/Crucial ones to choose one?

I usually browse through the synthetic charts for the latest SSD review over at techpowerup.com: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/team-group-mp44s-1-tb/4.html

In my experience, there are too many factors in play for real-world SSD benchmarks to be a realistic comparison statistic.

Keep in mind the charts by themselves aren't enough — there's more information to be gleaned from the forum discussion of a review, like the fact the Kingston NV2 scores high but there's also a version of it with wildly different components that scores poorly, and that's the version being sold in India. Or that ADATA's S70 Blade model is plagued with hardware failures.

For high-end performance, Kingston's KC3000 is my preferred choice. For a more budget option, the Samsung 980 non-pro is a decent.

WD's SNxxx options are also very good, they have their own proprietary controllers.

Last edited:
You didnt mention the usage, whether the drive is going to be used as boot drive+general storage or purely storage drive?
Silicon Power us85 is similar to Kingston NV2, which is good for storage but consumes a bit more power due to using hmb (your systems RAM) whenever its used or even on idle. Every mW counts in a laptop.
To know which drive is similar to which this link would help (*).

Apart from that these plots would help get a general idea-
Link 1 (Idle Power draw, Aspm disabled, boot drive)
Link 2 (Idle Power draw, for general storage)
Link 3 ( Avg Power draw for write)
Link 4 (Avg power draw for mixed usage)

The plots cover most drives and if the one you're looking for isn't on it look for a similar one using the link above (*). Similar means having same controller and nand type.
Lastly as other members have suggested if possible try sticking with good known brands but going for something that is more budget oriented isn't bad either.

Ah, it's going to be a primary boot drive. Thank you for the links, I'll look into them.

I prefer the xpg s70 blade, it's really good and on my years of using many adata drive they have never given me any issues
Plus it was going for about 9k on onlyssd

There have higher failure chances on SSDs with that Innogrit controller, like S70 blade. So take your call. Check reddit or amazon.com reviews. The failure chance might be like 5% for Innogrit vs 0.1% for others, but you don't usually hear complaints of drive just failing within months or a year for most other SSDs.

Back