Looking for a retail Win 7 HP copy. Where to buy?

Sarath_

Adept
I would like to know of any online store selling Win 7 HP copies or locally in Bangalore where I could get them for the lowest price.

FK had them for 7800 but I remember seeing them for much lower (now OOS) . I can only buy a new one.

I don't need Win 8.

Thanks for looking

There is one option you could use. If you know someone who has a genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium DVD, install the OS from that DVD, and for registration, you can buy the key from the Microsoft Store US, or from Amazon. The prices are 120 and 91 $ respectively on those sites.

Otherwise, use the links in the first post in the thread below. They are NOT illegal.

Alternatively, did you try to contact Microsoft and see if they can help?

Can't find the MS e-mail for Customer service. Last time I asked they just asked me to search for a shop. The shop guy told me why did I want to "buy" it.

Is it better to buy from US? It's definitely cheaper but what about support?[DOUBLEPOST=1364646160][/DOUBLEPOST]MS rep says it is only available in US right now :|

I am not going to pay for the W7 license because I am not happy with the W8 preinstalled and I cannot ask for refund - OEM versions do not qualify.

If you plan to do this on a device with 8 pre-installed, please remember to disable secure boot. Else, AFAIK, 7 wont work.

Alternatively, if you still want to buy a copy of 7, look for deals in the US and get the key. Get any version of 7 from HB to U, delete the ei.cfg file. Install the correct edition and give the key when asked.

The problem is it is difficult to make out which ones are legit and which not, especially when the price is discounted a lot.

I have a PC I assembled myself and want to do a fresh install. What are the cons of an OEM copy which is 4.5k in US while the normal ver. is almost 8-10k

The problem is it is difficult to make out which ones are legit and which not, especially when the price is discounted a lot.

I have a PC I assembled myself and want to do a fresh install. What are the cons of an OEM copy which is 4.5k in US while the normal ver. is almost 8-10k

As to making out which ones are legit and which are not, there is no way out for that.

The only con of the OEM copy that I know is that its meant for that particular machine only. Once activated, you will need to do phone activation if you wanna activate it on a different machine AND you will need to mention that the mobo has been replaced etc.

I have a copy of 7, but I dont use that key. Instead I use a loader as it saves me from the activation headache.

Any specific reason for not liking the Windows 8? Overall its been one of the most stable Windows. Windows 7 was also great but with windows 8 you also have one touch refresh and restore options which can be of great help to bring your system back to the original state. Further, it gives you two options the touch option with all the app icons and the age old desktop layout. I have it at the desktop layout and actually had Windows 7 on the laptop and made use of the upgrade scheme to upgrade to windows 8 and have been quite happy with it.

^ do not want to adapt right now. I would prefer it on a touch based laptop though[DOUBLEPOST=1364756855][/DOUBLEPOST]I forgot to mention, I already have a copy of Win 8. I will be dual booting it.

Any specific reason for not liking the Windows 8? Overall its been one of the most stable Windows. Windows 7 was also great but with windows 8 you also have one touch refresh and restore options which can be of great help to bring your system back to the original state. Further, it gives you two options the touch option with all the app icons and the age old desktop layout. I have it at the desktop layout and actually had Windows 7 on the laptop and made use of the upgrade scheme to upgrade to windows 8 and have been quite happy with it.

I use a desktop for productivity and not for trying out useless things. Ditto for the laptop. I had an old laptop for testing which no longer is in proper testing condition. I do not have any touch screen. Although the touch pad is decent, I see no point in wasting my time with large oversized tiles+charms+hot corners.Yes, with WP I can accept the same, but not on a productivity device. And tried out a sorta trial version of those apps which put the start button and sometimes they don't work.

Short version W8 is garbage. Fast or not, it wastes more time trying to get to some app. So its 10% faster maybe and wastes 20% more of your time.

I can put it down this way

Windows 7: Press Windows key, type app you want, press down to select and enter.

Windows 8: Press start, then tab, then down, then left, then select if you want a system setting.

And if I want the desktop versions of some apps, that's a big PITA to explain.

I use a desktop for productivity and not for trying out useless things. Ditto for the laptop. I had an old laptop for testing which no longer is in proper testing condition. I do not have any touch screen. Although the touch pad is decent, I see no point in wasting my time with large oversized tiles+charms+hot corners.Yes, with WP I can accept the same, but not on a productivity device. And tried out a sorta trial version of those apps which put the start button and sometimes they don't work.

Short version W8 is garbage. Fast or not, it wastes more time trying to get to some app. So its 10% faster maybe and wastes 20% more of your time.
Like I mentioned you do not need the Metro Interface. you can very well shift to the Desktop interface.

With regards your point
Windows 8: Press start, then tab, then down, then left, then select if you want a system setting.
Well simply hover your mouse on top right screen > search > done!

Tiles are just an option > in the last 6 months not used them most of the time! I select the desktop interface and it works perfectly as my other computer which has the Windows 7 Ultimate.

The new home screen supports type on the go (or whatever that is called). You can just start typing and it would start the search immediately. No other key combinations to be hit to get there.

I can put it down this way

Windows 7: Press Windows key, type app you want, press down to select and enter.

And if I want the desktop versions of some apps, that's a big PITA to explain.

There's no need to do all that if you want to fo to some system setting. Just hover mouse on left bottom of screen where you get thumbnail of start screen and right click on it to get most commonly used system and administrative settings.
startrclick.jpg

windows 7 didn't have such time saving shortcuts.

Like I mentioned you do not need the Metro Interface. you can very well shift to the Desktop interface.

With regards your point

Well simply hover your mouse on top right screen > search > done!

Tiles are just an option > in the last 6 months not used them most of the time! I select the desktop interface and it works perfectly as my other computer which has the Windows 7 Ultimate.

Heavy keyboard user here. I do know what you mean, but pressing the start button brings me back to the metro interface. Which I do not like.

The new home screen supports type on the go (or whatever that is called). You can just start typing and it would start the search immediately. No other key combinations to be hit to get there.

Yes, I know that. Have mentioned that already.

There's no need to do all that if you want to fo to some system setting. Just hover mouse on left bottom of screen where you get thumbnail of start screen and right click on it to get most commonly used system and administrative settings.
startrclick.jpg

windows 7 didn't have such time saving shortcuts.

Yes, and although this is default, had it in my old lappie before it crashed. Registry mod to w7. But would prefer to use 7.

Would not like the thread to go too OT.

@OP believe there is a sale on new egg for 7HP for 99 USD. try to pick that up. Also, you could try to get a copy of 8 pro and use downgrade rights.

Back