Looking for cheap VPN

honest1

Adept
I travel frequently and connect to various Wi-Fi networks( (both on Windows laptop and Android phone/tab), so I'm looking for a basic, affordable VPN service for some essential protection. I don't need any extraordinary features—just something simple and effective. Can you recommend any services that fit this description? Also, are there any options that allow sharing?

I liked this but they removed the ability to select from the free servers, and honestly it's become quite slow as a result.
I'm aware but your use case fits perfectly since you only want to use it on public wifi which are usually slow and how long would you be using it anyways...

If you want a better solution you could host your own private VPN at home (with tailscale) or host it on the cloud by buying a cheap VPS.

I'm aware but your use case fits perfectly since you only want to use it on public wifi which are usually slow and how long would you be using it anyways...

If you want a better solution you could host your own private VPN at home (with tailscale) or host it on the cloud by buying a cheap VPS.
I'm not the OP though lol... I was just adding a caveat of sorts to your reco.

I used to use Mullvad and that was 5 euros every month. Still significantly cheaper than most if you like to pay month-to-month. Since then I've switched to Proton, the paid version. Got it for 3.3k a year. You can get it with India specific pricing through the mobile app.

I'm using it now. It's 1.5Euros per month.
I have 5+ clients between my desktop/server/family. So it wouldn't make sense to buy a shared account. Besides that, Proton gives you up to 10 clients while Mullvad is 5. One of the reasons why I switched. Along with the support for port-forwarding, residential ips for streaming and generally fewer slowdowns.

I am indeed using it but its very slow. Morever, I need to use VPN 30-35% of my time due to travelling.

Last edited:
Since then I've switched to Proton, the paid version. Got it for 3.3k a year. You can get it with India specific pricing through the mobile app.
Is the plan for proton restricted only to mobile devices? I mean if I want to use it on desktop using the mobile subscription, will they allow?

It tried finding Indian pricing for Proton on desktop but couldn't. Now that they have listed the pricing on their mobile app, don't know if it's mobile specific only.

Back