Looking for Desktop search utilities?

shirish

Skilled
Hi all,
At the moment I'm using Yahoo Desktop search with the extra additional file types thing. then there is Google desktop search & I'm sure there are others which are better or not but don't know what else is out there. So looking for people's experiences with them.
Another point how much space should one keep for the cache. Is there a thumb rule like 1%-10% what? At this point it's something like 50% big & 50% small files. Looking for best practices in this regard. Thanx in advance.

I had used copernic in the past & it's o.k. not something really exciting although haven't tried the newest version so don't know if they've come up with some killer feature.

guru what kind of index, how much space is used by the index, some more info. perhaps a link. What has been u'r experience with it. How big is u'r hard disk. Some details wanted here.

---------------
Just so other people do know the following points I'm looking at :-
1. Have a clear idea as to how much space would be needed to store the index/cache/meta-data whatever u may call it.

2. How good is the interface? Some of them don't have an intuitive interface.

3. Are there any tweaks to enhance the indexing operation except changing the priority level in Task mgr.

4. How much time does the index take to build?

5. How accurate are the search queries?

I know most of them are relative questions. I give the no. of files & folders of atleast hdd 1 :-

30305 files 3923 folders c 7.37 GB
1531 files 201 folders d 3.03 GB
123809 files 10,242 folders e 22.2 GB
54117 files 3,320 folders f 28.6 GB
85288 files 4,884 folders g 20.2 GB
3014 files 206 folders h 5.77 GB

overall 86 GB out of 160 GB used.
HDD 1

I have alternated between using Google Desktop and Windows Desktop Search facilites. Somehow, I have come to prefer Windows desktop for simple reason, its speed.

shirish said:
guru what kind of index, how much space is used by the index, some more info. perhaps a link. What has been u'r experience with it. How big is u'r hard disk. Some details wanted here.

---------------

Just so other people do know the following points I'm looking at :-

1. Have a clear idea as to how much space would be needed to store the index/cache/meta-data whatever u may call it.

2. How good is the interface? Some of them don't have an intuitive interface.

3. Are there any tweaks to enhance the indexing operation except changing the priority level in Task mgr.

4. How much time does the index take to build?

5. How accurate are the search queries?

I know most of them are relative questions. I give the no. of files & folders of atleast hdd 1 :-

30305 files 3923 folders c 7.37 GB

1531 files 201 folders d 3.03 GB

123809 files 10,242 folders e 22.2 GB

54117 files 3,320 folders f 28.6 GB

85288 files 4,884 folders g 20.2 GB

3014 files 206 folders h 5.77 GB

overall 86 GB out of 160 GB used.

HDD 1

didn't see your reply

this link will answer most of your questions

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/desktop-search.ars

Thejo/Blog » Desktop search comparison