Looking for GIT help.

Xarzu

Recruit
I have just started using git after not using it for a while.
I have created a repository.
Then, as I was instructed, I made a “git clone” command which consisted of “git clone” followed by a path.
I expected this to get the contents of the path and put it into my repository – meaning the directory I made. This did not happen. What do I do?
How do I get a local copy of a remote work space for me to work on?

I am wondering if there is something like a "fetch" command I should be using.

The video tutorial I was looking at instructed how to make a local repository. But if I am trying to get code from a network location, how do I go about making that happen?

I was instructed at my job to run this command (copied here in pseudo code)
git clone blah-blah:/blah/git/noogie/dork_monkey/
and when I did this grom git-bash it did not produce any errors which led me to think it was the command I needed to do.
But I did this from the local directory that I used
git init
to set up as a locak repository.
I assumed that typiing a "git clone..." command would have copied all of the files on the blah-blah server over.

But it did not.
I wonder if all this might have something to do with the fact that I need to get my network up and running first.
In my File File Explorer window, when I click on the "This PC" icon on the left, I can see I have five Network locationis mapped to drive letters.
But when I click on the Network icon I get an error.

You should really go to youtube or udemy to freshen up on your git skills.

To make a local working copy of your pre-existing remote repository you need to clone it. You were instructed right...

Git:
HTTP/HTTPS:

git clone https://github.com/xxxxx/repo_name.git

OR using SSH:

git clone git@github.com:xxxxx/repo_name.git

You don't need to create a folder it creates a folder with the repo_name itself and when the clone is done you just need to "cd" into the directory and start working.

The "fetch" command is used on existing local copy of your git repo to look for any remote changes but not apply changes to your local copy yet, that's done by "pull" command.

Back