Looking for good quality 55" TV (Sony, LG or Samsung)

Warchief

Recruit
I am upgrading my TV from 32" IPS LG LCD. More info

Budget: Rs. 80,000 (can stretch to 1l max)

TV should be reliable (I am not sure how reliable Samsung and Sony are compared to LG. )

I am not interested in taking chances for burn-ins and such problems with OLED. I have also seen that OLED loses details in dark areas. Here is a sample:

My usage is mix of OTT and SD and HD Channels on DTH. I occasionally watch 1080p movies. the room receives medium bright light.

Also, is 55" too big for minimum seating distance of 6' and max of 8'? SD looks so bad on 50 and even 55 inch.

Sadly, my TV is in between drawing-cum-dining hall. So, smaller TV won't suffice.

Last edited:
The absolute best non-OLED TV right now has to be Sony X90L. The 55 variant should be under 1 lac during the Diwali/BBD sales.

Hisense and TCL both have Mini LED under 60-70K too. Sony/LG Mini LED will be above 1 lac. Samsung always has some features missing and only their top-of-the-line OLED models are worth it.

U7K with 4 year warranty should be the best VFM deal this sale season. But if you are only looking at Sony/LG, X90L should be the only recommended choice.

@buzz88 and others reading this…for someone with budget 50-60k, any suggestions?

U7K is the obvious choice in that budget. It's supposed to be better than TCL C835 which is listed at near 1 lac. Check some youtube reviews for MiniLED vs traditional LED vs OLED. I can't think of any other models in that budget that can beat it. Sony's comparative model will be X95L and those idiots have only launched the 85 inch variant here in India at 5-6 lac. I imagine if 55 inch variant is launched, it will be at least 1.5 lac. U7K pre-book was at 55K for 55 inch which is a steal. The sale starts on 29th September, I believe.

U7K is the obvious choice in that budget. It's supposed to be better than TCL C835 which is listed at near 1 lac. Check some youtube reviews for MiniLED vs traditional LED vs OLED. I can't think of any other models in that budget that can beat it. Sony's comparative model will be X95L and those idiots have only launched the 85 inch variant here in India at 5-6 lac. I imagine if 55 inch variant is launched, it will be at least 1.5 lac. U7K pre-book was at 55K for 55 inch which is a steal. The sale starts on 29th September, I believe.
U7K seems quite appealing. This is for my cousins. They are unwilling to spend on anything other than Sony, lg or samsung. Anything from these brands instead?

U7K seems quite appealing. This is for my cousins. They are unwilling to spend on anything other than Sony, lg or samsung. Anything from these brands instead?
Under 60K, those brands have really underwhelming options. If you are budget conscious, better to get top models of tier 2 brands. And if you are brand conscious, then increase your budget.

If you get a cheap TV from Sony or LG or Sammy, you are overpaying for trash that will have picture quality as good as a cheap 20-30k no name brands. A good TV in 2023 should at least have QLED and Full Array Local Dimming (FALD). All those good TVs from the big3 brands start at 1 lac at least.

I'm also in the market looking for a solid upgrade. Priorities are, 4K resolution, high refresh rate for gaming, good colour accuracy, viewing angles and mainly no fear of an OLED panel burn out. Keeping these in mind helped me zero in on the SAMSUNG NEO QLED 4K Q90B. Ticks all the boxes and seems to have a sturdy build as well. Can vouch for Samsung since my current TV is a 32" bought in 2010 and still kicking, working all fine. Also the QLED panel removes fears of an OLED but also performs quite well.

The 50" model comes to around 1L, with some card offers or bank discounts can probably get some further discount. The 55" model would exceed your max stretched budget by around 25k. But again recommending this anyway since looks like a very future proofed model overall in terms of performance and reliability.

The absolute best non-OLED TV right now has to be Sony X90L. The 55 variant should be under 1 lac during the Diwali/BBD sales.

That would be the QN90B. It handily outclasses the Sony.
Too bad Sony's pricing has become increasingly delusional. The X95L would have been a great TV if available in more sizes and at not insane pricing.

However, i concur with your point about buying during the Diwali sales. The pricing during then is the best across the whole year.

Back