Budget 71-90K Looking for laptop for college

Hey there. Looking for a laptop for college. Gaming is the least of my concerns when it comes to this. I will be typing a lot on the go and hence, would prefer a good keyboard and something that's compact and has good battery life.

• What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? (e.g. web surfing/office apps/Casual Gaming)
    Majority of the times, I'll be typing, surfing the net, and maybe some very little Photoshop. No gaming, though if a laptop has the capability to provide insane battery life and decent gaming performance (for games like Valorant), it'd be cool, but otherwise it's totally fine. Some coding here and there (nothing too intensive, maybe a little too much web dev) and sometimes (like once in every 3 months) video editing.

• What size and weight considerations do you have? (e.g. Do you want a 17" desktop replacement or you want an ultraportable 12" or something in between)
    13-14 inches would work fine. Something very portable. If thin, would be an added bonus.

• Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? (e.g some would prefer to stay away from Acer or Dell)
    At this price point, I dunno what brands are good.

• Any other considerations? (e.g Battery life; Widescreen/non-widescreen; Glossy/Matte screen etc.)
    Great battery life, good keyboard, backlit keyboard and it'd be great if it could last me for the next 6-7 years (until I finish my graduate studies as well but I am sure that's a tall order.)

I was mainly considering M1 MacBook Air (83K after student discount) and I know people will tell me to wait for the next gen (coming in November or something, I guess, correct me if I am wrong) but the rendered leaks don't seem promising. I don't like the new design, with the different colors and white bezels. I'd rather get the M1 MacBook Air. Another reason I considered it is because I heard MacBooks tend to last for a very long time, even for more than 4-5 years and since this is a big buy, I'd like for it to last me until I finish my MEng. If you have any other suggestions, I am open to it.

Maximum would go upto 85K but no more, so please keep that in mind.

Thanks y'all and have a great day!

just get the m1 air if you don't mind new gen coming in a few months. period. it's just toooo good. only thing i miss is oled/mini led while watching videos. it punches way above its weight in terms of everything. speakers, display, performance, battery, keyboard, build quality, trackpad. everything.

just get the m1 air if you don't mind new gen coming in a few months. period. it's just toooo good. only thing i miss is oled/mini led while watching videos. it punches way above its weight in terms of everything. speakers, display, performance, battery, keyboard, build quality, trackpad. everything.
Was considering the same. Didn’t like the next Gen design anyways and at the end of the day, I’d be happy if it serves my purpose well.

Last edited:
M1 would be a good purchase for such needs. I'm also in the market for a laptop, and most new gen Ryzen ones are OOB (> 1 lac). Can wait, and hence will look at the M1x or M2.
Wife has an M1 air. Extremely snappy, superb keyboard (just amazing - it makes you want to type), great battery life (she is on work video calls almost 4-5 hours everyday, and this workhorse doesn't give up), great screen (better than usual laptop ones. Rich blacks, high res).
I hate the port situation, it's just astoundingly stupid. You'll need a dock, no two ways about it.
Get a good TB3 and you're game. Include the cost of TB3 dock too in your final pricing. And maybe an external HDD. For me, it's super tiny (have 2 TB SSDs currently, but I'm a data hoarder with 20 TB of external storage).

M1 would be a good purchase for such needs. I'm also in the market for a laptop, and most new gen Ryzen ones are OOB (> 1 lac). Can wait, and hence will look at the M1x or M2.
Wife has an M1 air. Extremely snappy, superb keyboard (just amazing - it makes you want to type), great battery life (she is on work video calls almost 4-5 hours everyday, and this workhorse doesn't give up), great screen (better than usual laptop ones. Rich blacks, high res).
I hate the port situation, it's just astoundingly stupid. You'll need a dock, no two ways about it.
Get a good TB3 and you're game. Include the cost of TB3 dock too in your final pricing. And maybe an external HDD. For me, it's super tiny (have 2 TB SSDs currently, but I'm a data hoarder with 20 TB of external storage).
Whoa, 20TB! That’s mental.
Looks like it's the M1 way for me then. Thanks to allthose who suggested it! Hopefully, it lasts at least 6-7 years. Should I get a cover for it? Any accessories (beside what AlekhKhanna has said?)

Last edited:
Back