Budget 31-40k Looking to buy a laptop from US

Tinbed

Disciple
Guys,

I might be travelling in November to US and I think its time for me to move on from a desktop to a laptop. I however, will be selling my rig here on techenclave later on :) .Unfortunately, I am the sort of guy who ends up reviewing a lot of products and eventually getting totally confused about what to buy.

Here are some of my requirements
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? Surfing, programming (visual studio suite). Primarily a replacement desktop at home.
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? 14 to 15", don't want the "ultraportables" since they are known for overheating.
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? Nothing specifically I detest. Lenovo is my over all preference. But I have nothing against a Dell or even an Asus. Read some good reviews on that too.
  • Price range? up to $700, a little over shouldn't hurt
I just love the T430, but sadly, after I add in the 1600x900 display and an intel wireless card the price is close to $1000 dollars. Not to mention, I can't find many stores in Norwalk, CT, where I'll be staying, which stocks up on the Thinkpad series. Most of the retail stores only stock up on the Ideapads or the gaming models.

Any suggestions is welcome. Anybody experienced in buying from the US is also welcome to share their experience or discontent if any. Since is a big device and I'm just there for a month, I am vary about shipping deadlines and therefore would want to avoid wesites such Amazon or lenovo.com. Especially worried about DOA situations where I wouldn't have sufficient time to follow up on replacements etc.

Appreciate any advice.

keep checking slickdeals and techbargains to get info about deals...online and brick shops. Also it will black friday time, so u will get a good deal on others also.

Besbuy and Tigerdirect sometimes have exclusive machines. like popular machines with different specs and price only available through them. so doesnt hurt to keep an eye on em. If buying from them, get it from the shop itself. as the price doesnt vary.

Staples also will have some nice offers.. bottom line is the first 2 sites i told, keep an eye on em. ALWAYS

Thanks man. Didn't know about slickdeals and techbargains. Your right, I notice best buy has a P series Lenovo which is not sold anywhere else. It must be a BB exclusive.

Best part is.. when u go there itself, try to go to few shows.. Buying an item in US is extremely good. Even though the reviews will say a million things good about an item, when you personally use it u will find something u don't like. Happened to me. :). Problem - Didn't like the keyboard tactile feedback of a HP 17". too wobbly. Reviews said average keyboard. for me it was a dealbreaker. But the laptop had everything else i wanted.

Hmm, I'll check out the local best buy and staples there. I have a colleague there who has costco membership, I'll take him along to costco too.

Costco? For laptop??

Let me know how that goes. As I though Costco is for bulk purchases on things that are not electronics.

Costco do have laptops for sale in their Electronics section along with most appliances, i am an active Costco member and bought a LG 50LA6970 Smart 3D tv day before.

Back