Budget 31-40k Looking to put together a 40K Used-Parts build

sid41299

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • None
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - BenQ GW2286
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Any capable CPU
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU - GTX 1060 or equivalent
    • PSU - Best Power Supply Units
    • RAM - 2x8GB DDR3/4
    • (please mention the rest in above format)
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Final
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Visakhapatnam
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Open-world - Red Dead Redemption 2
    • FPS - Modern Warfare 2019
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920*1080
    2. Desktop - Ditto
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • If possible
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

Looking to build a decent 1080p 60FPS build in the 40K range. Obviously not going to get new parts for that performance at that price, so I want to know what parts I should be looking for and at what prices, because I don't know what would be a good CPU/mobo to pair with a 1060 (or equivalent) now.

Thanks in advance.

For 1080p60 with a 1060, I think a Ryzen 3 or 10100f should do the job, and you can get that CPU+board+RAM+PSU+case in ~30k (new). 1060 is going for around 10-11k these days for the 6GB version I believe. Not entirely up-to-date with hardware though, so I might be mistaken.

I haven't looked into the cost of it and all rn but I made a list for a bud of mine a while back when he was planning to build one in june of this year, for the cpu the i5 10400f was a winner back then cost wise and stock wise. Ryzen 5 3600 was also an option but it was overpriced and was short in stock at that time (don't know about the situation now, could be worse).

Ram was also somewhat cheaper since apparently for intel CPUs, you didn't need the fastest ram so was easier to find cheaper ones.

Boards were more confusing in the intel department as proper reviews for the lower end mobos were hard to come by on youtube and sites itself but tbh I don't think you could go wrong with a mobo when the budget is below 7k.

Gpu wise i think he was planning to get the 1660 super? It was priced around 15k+ back then but i think it's all oos or op today.

Many people have recommended to build a ryzen based platform instead since the upgrade path would be better, but imo i think either platforms are a pain to search cpus for once a considerable amount of time goes by. Reason i put in a 10400f over the i3 is the cores and thread counts alone and my friend is certainly not the type of guy who will constantly monitor his framerates, frametimes or go antsy whenever his frames drop by a few or temperatures go higher than normal.

Hope this is of some help OP, but i would suggest you to take your time picking the parts like i did when i built mine, slowly and not expect all the parts from a wtb thread alone. Wait for some deals on here as well as in your local area and pick the parts first which will be still usable and new to use even after a year and not be outdated (PSU, Case, Ram). CPUs and GPUs are imo, the last parts one should get when building used.

Happy to reply any other queries

I haven't looked into the cost of it and all rn but I made a list for a bud of mine a while back when he was planning to build one in june of this year, for the cpu the i5 10400f was a winner back then cost wise and stock wise. Ryzen 5 3600 was also an option but it was overpriced and was short in stock at that time (don't know about the situation now, could be worse).

Ram was also somewhat cheaper since apparently for intel CPUs, you didn't need the fastest ram so was easier to find cheaper ones.

Boards were more confusing in the intel department as proper reviews for the lower end mobos were hard to come by on youtube and sites itself but tbh I don't think you could go wrong with a mobo when the budget is below 7k.

Gpu wise i think he was planning to get the 1660 super? It was priced around 15k+ back then but i think it's all oos or op today.

Many people have recommended to build a ryzen based platform instead since the upgrade path would be better, but imo i think either platforms are a pain to search cpus for once a considerable amount of time goes by. Reason i put in a 10400f over the i3 is the cores and thread counts alone and my friend is certainly not the type of guy who will constantly monitor his framerates, frametimes or go antsy whenever his frames drop by a few or temperatures go higher than normal.

Hope this is of some help OP, but i would suggest you to take your time picking the parts like i did when i built mine, slowly and not expect all the parts from a wtb thread alone. Wait for some deals on here as well as in your local area and pick the parts first which will be still usable and new to use even after a year and not be outdated (PSU, Case, Ram). CPUs and GPUs are imo, the last parts one should get when building used.

Honestly I was expecting a lot older than 10th Gen Intel and 3rd Gen Ryzen, so that's good news at least, won't have to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for older, less-supported hardware.

Also, I felt 10K for the GPU was a reasonable partition, but the way the market is, I'll be lucky to get any half-decent GPU for that price, let alone a 1060/RX580.

But I'm curious, GPU budget aside, what's the cheapest/oldest possible CPU generation I should stick to for consistent and smooth 1080p 60FPS performance? And would 2*4GB be enough, or is 2*8GB necessary for that performance?

Honestly I was expecting a lot older than 10th Gen Intel and 3rd Gen Ryzen, so that's good news at least, won't have to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for older, less-supported hardware.

Also, I felt 10K for the GPU was a reasonable partition, but the way the market is, I'll be lucky to get any half-decent GPU for that price, let alone a 1060/RX580.

But I'm curious, GPU budget aside, what's the cheapest/oldest possible CPU generation I should stick to for consistent and smooth 1080p 60FPS performance? And would 2*4GB be enough, or is 2*8GB necessary for that performance?
Ivy lake is one hell of a fighter, and i know that cause I'm currently running a pc which i built as cheap as i could (e3 1230v2 being the cpu) and it is able to run most of the games at said 1080p 60fps with an rx 570, however i cannot say the same for anything beyond 2020 now with new gen.
8gb doesn't cut it anymore these days, still playable but 16 gigs is the standard now

Ivy lake is one hell of a fighter, and i know that cause I'm currently running a pc which i built as cheap as i could (e3 1230v2 being the cpu) and it is able to run most of the games at said 1080p 60fps with an rx 570, however i cannot say the same for anything beyond 2020 now with new gen.
8gb doesn't cut it anymore these days, still playable but 16 gigs is the standard now
How much did you buy the CPU for, and when? What sort of pricing can expect for a decent used 4C/8T or 6C Xeon these days, and what Xeons should I look out for?

you could consider ryzen 4650 ,check its GPu benchmarks on YouTube whether they would satisfy your needs on gaming side because if that covers your GPU needs than you could get new components as b450 have really dropped down in prices and easily available in second hand you could totally avoid GPU mess for a while , and if you move on to newer gpu in futuere than you still have a cpu which is comparable to ryzen 3600 ,this is my general advice to those who are in a situation that they have to build a new PC and cant afford crazy gpu prices and could wait or are ready to compromise for time being . the moment gpu price stabilize you will loose money on rx 580 /1060 and you are living dangerously as they wont be under warranty. Ryzen 4650 looks a good bet

Last edited:
How much did you buy the CPU for, and when? What sort of pricing can expect for a decent used 4C/8T or 6C Xeon these days, and what Xeons should I look out for?
That's one of the problems again, aliexpress has more or less completely shut down it's shipping options to india. If not there were honestly a wide range of old xeon cpus that you could choose from. There was this channel called Phil's computer lab which goes quite in dept with some of these xeons

Can you pls recommend a mini-itx mobo for the i5 10400f . I am in the same boat . Want to upgrade from i5 4Gen . No gaming . Have everything except CPU and Mobo . Dont want to spend more than 20/23k on both . 13k is i5 10400f so another 8-10k for mobo . And i have not been able to find any . Seems AMD build will be cheaper with min-itx solution
But i am no fanboy , whatever works in the budget
Had made my own thread but purchase got delayed due to availability https://techenclave.com/threads/itx-build.194711/
Ordered CX650 and received . Ordered SUGO 14 Mini-ITX Cabinet SST-SG14B from prime which is in transit . Have rest all stuff including RAMs, SSDs , HDD etc ..
OP hope you dont mind me bumping in ?

Last edited:
Can you pls recommend a mini-itx mobo for the i5 10400f . I am in the same boat . Want to upgrade from i5 4Gen . No gaming . Have everything except CPU and Mobo . Dont want to spend more than 20/23k on both . 13k is i5 10400f so another 8-10k for mobo . And i have not been able to find any . Seems AMD build will be cheaper with min-itx solution
But i am no fanboy , whatever works in the budget
Had made my own thread but purchase got delayed due to availability https://techenclave.com/threads/itx-build.194711/
Ordered CX650 and received . Ordered SUGO 14 Mini-ITX Cabinet SST-SG14B from prime which is in transit . Have rest all stuff including RAMs, SSDs , HDD etc ..
OP hope you dont mind me bumping in?
No problemo, but I agree with @burntwingzZz . Mini-ITX is harder to pull off on smaller tight budgets as compared to ATX. You're better off just grabbing whatever you can find as cheap as possible, or as @Rezep said, take some time and build it up slowly from various sources.

Small form factor . Media PC , office , zoom classes etc
than buy a nuc

than buy a nuc

Already have i3 8gen NUC . Want PC form factor .
Intel mini-itx are mostly out of stock
AMD has it with ASRock Fatal1ty B450 which is avilable . Any better choices on AMD platform ?
Shifting to my own thread as not to crap his thread

Last edited:
Back