Budget 0-20k Looking to upgrade my Ryzen 3600 and maybe a soundcard?

Sumi

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • 15-25K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Ryzen 3600
    • Motherboard - MSI B550 A Pro (Latest BIOS Flashed)
    • GPU - RTX 3070
    • RAM - ADATA 4X16GB 3200Mhz CL16
    • Monitor - LG 27GL850
    • PSU - Cooler master MWE 750 gold v2
    • Cooler - Deepcool AK400
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Everything except the CPU
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - 3900x
    • Creative Sound Blaster Play! 3 USB DAC Amp and External Sound Card
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the CPU
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Online/Offline
    • Techenclave members
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Adobe Software (Mostly Photoshop & AI)
    • Gaming
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • AMD since I have an AM4 motherboard
    • For souncard, I have no idea
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Fortnite
    • Elden Ring
    • ARMORED CORE™ VI
    • CSGO
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1440p
    2. Desktop - 1440p
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes (Only if it's auto like XMP)
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 Education

I'm really starting to feel my CPU is holding me back in both gaming and workload, my primary usage is Adobe softwares and games like Fortnite. From the recent change to RAM capacity from 16GB to 64GB, I've seen my Photoshop loading and usage get a little smoother, but my CPU seems to lag the software when working on heavy files.

So what CPU should I upgrade to? I was planning on getting a used 3900x for cores and it's relatively cheap in the used market for now. Gaming isn't much of an importance at the moment as new games have stopped getting exciting and the only newgen game I've played recently is Elden Ring and Fortnite before/after the Unreal Engine 5 update.

------------------------------

Now for the soundcard query, I don't know much about these things but will getting Creative Sound Blaster Play! 3 USB DAC Amp and External Sound Card improve my sound? I use an Audio-Technica ATH-M20x. The soundcard looked relatively cheap and heared it's definitely going to make a difference/better quality then the onboard motherboard soundcard/realtek audio. There was another option Ant Esports 7.1 USB Gaming Sound Card but I don't trust the company and the reviews are also a little on the iffy end.

Last edited:
ignore 3900x go for either 5700x or 5900x
Looking for a long-term upgrade so want something good enough to last for a while. Will the 8 cores on 5700x suffice?

Will you be wanting to upgrade your motherboard as well? I have an x570 board that I have posted up for sale.
I'll be keeping the motherboard the same since Zen 3 is supported and everything just works fine, appreciate the offer.

Looking for a long-term upgrade so want something good enough to last for a while. Will the 8 cores on 5700x suffice?

End of cycle, pick your poison 5600, 5600x, 5700x and 5900x. For your needs these should work fine. 5700x is the middle ground, 5900x will be overkill + more heat to manage.

Best buy for low budget would be 5600 on a deal for 11k and OC it to near 5600x level and sell the 3600 for 6.5k.

End of cycle, pick your poison 5600, 5600x, 5700x and 5900x. For your needs these should work fine. 5700x is the middle ground, 5900x will be overkill + more heat to manage.

Best buy for low budget would be 5600 on a deal for 11k and OC it to near 5600x level and sell the 3600 for 6.5k.
5700x it is, added to cart. Will wait for discounted price or if any TE member looks to sell theirs. Will have to buy some thermal paste.

You don’t need more than a 5600 or the 5600x imo. Better to save now and jump on the new platform when you get a chance.

Won't recommend AM5, it's too expensive right now. Also, you can compare prices of DDR4 vs DDR5.
Ofcourse, it doesn't matter if you have lots of money but price to value is lower on AM5 right now.

Back