Android Lost Samsung Galaxy s3 - Looking for comparable phone for approx15k

sun244

Disciple
Friends,

Someone flicked my S3 (from my shirt packet) in Bangalore. I was told by police this is a common thing in Bangalore.

Anyway, Having lost an expensive mobile, I am looking for a phone with comparable features but for approx 15k. Main requirements will be:

Good photo/Video camera
Good browsing and for SMS

This will be also used for checking my office mails ...etc...

Can you please suggest a phone that is comparable to S3. I do not mind if they are from Chinese. I am thinking of going for Levonovo high end model OR Sony Experia M.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

Thank You
Sun

Sad you lost it. S3 is a great phone. Why don't you look for a used one. I remember seeing a deal on TE with 16.5k shipped. And if I remember correctly that guy was form Bangalore.

At around 15K, Xperia L or Lumia 720 or L9
These are your best bets. I Suggest one among the first two though, as their CAM is lot better.
Xperia M is also fine, if you are okay with average quality cam.

You can't get a 'comparable' phone for 15k. Look for second hand.

How do you lose a phone from a shirt pocket, this must have been a pocket on the side i suppose rather than the top.

Get a Xolo Q800 for like 9.5k. I owned one until recently, and it can do almost everything the S3 can. Save the cash until you can buy yourself a high end flagship.

Thanks for the responses.

1. Anyone here tried micromax Canvas4 Cam quality, will be curious before I jump on it.
2. Ashrr : Were you happy with Camera and Video recording quality? You say jump to high end flagship, Do we need one or we can manage the micromax's of the world?

For everyone : I had kept the phone in my shirt packet (Top). There was too much rush in the restaurant and some one had pocketed. I came to know that this is every day affair from police i.e. High end phone getting picketed (Especially the Darshinis are the target) . They were unable to crack the case as of now.

For everyone : I had kept the phone in my shirt packet (Top). There was too much rush in the restaurant and some one had pocketed.
See, that's what i don't get. Its really hard for somebody to pull something out of your top shirt pocket. Less hard is front pants pocket. Easiest is back pants pocket. What scares me about top shirt pocket is if you bend over it empties itself. I've had that happen so many times with other things that i don't dare put a phone in there.

I came to know that this is every day affair from police i.e. High end phone getting picketed (Especially the Darshinis are the target) . They were unable to crack the case as of now.
High end phones are easy to sell, they are definite targets. But people forgetting them somewhere for a little moment is what I would have thought is the most common.

The reason I kept in shirt packet is for the same above reasons. If you had visited Darshini cash counters and parcel counters in Bangalore there will be lot of rush at peak times. In Basavanagudi: Roti Ghar, South thindi and UD are targets. When 20 people crowd around a counter, pushing each other and you are screaming for the attention amongst lot of noise, your attention is in collecting your change or your parcel or placing order. That is when these crooks strike. I was totally unaware of these things.

I'm thinking of getting all the pockets in my pants fitted with velcro. That should solve the problem right?

Thanks for the responses.

1. Anyone here tried micromax Canvas4 Cam quality, will be curious before I jump on it.
2. Ashrr : Were you happy with Camera and Video recording quality? You say jump to high end flagship, Do we need one or we can manage the micromax's of the world?

For everyone : I had kept the phone in my shirt packet (Top). There was too much rush in the restaurant and some one had pocketed. I came to know that this is every day affair from police i.e. High end phone getting picketed (Especially the Darshinis are the target) . They were unable to crack the case as of now.

To be very honest and at the risk of sounding like an advertisement, I felt like my Xolo Q800 was everything I needed. It ran all the apps I threw at it, lasted all day and had a really good screen for the price. I don't use phone cameras too much but it seemed quite decent, probably not comparable to something from HTC or Samsung though. It was just a solid all round phone and is dirt cheap right now. It was EXCELLENT for browsing, texting, Reddit and all that. I even used it a lot to take notes at meeting (audio, text and quick pictures with Google Keep).

I bought the phone as an experiment to see what the fuss was all about with these local brands offering "quad core phones." I don't know about Micromax, but I was pleasantly surprised with the Xolo. Build quality was very good too. Dropped it a couple of times but it didn't get scratched.

The only reason I sold it is because I fancied the Nexus 4 with 4.3

If you had visited Darshini cash counters and parcel counters in Bangalore there will be lot of rush at peak times. In Basavanagudi: Roti Ghar, South thindi and UD are targets. When 20 people crowd around a counter, pushing each other and you are screaming for the attention amongst lot of noise, your attention is in collecting your change or your parcel or placing order. That is when these crooks strike. I was totally unaware of these things.
Trying to imagine the picture and its a good situation for a pickpocket. But its also very risky because if you catch him then he cannot escape. The guy also has to be taller than his victim. If the cops are aware of this then they should do a sting with plain clothes and bust this ring. Five phones pinched a month and you are looking at close to a lakh in value. Two or three guys required.

So i tried to place my hand over my pocket and shake it and in my peripheral vision i can see my hand shaking but when i look in the opposite direction then i can't see the hand.

Say your front shirt pocket is where your heart is. Now, so long as you look in front or to your left, then any hand that appears you will easily see. But if you look to your right then you will not see a hand. So if this is where your pocket is located then next time you are at a counter, either stand in front of the counter or to the right of it. Do not stand to the left of the counter because then you will be looking to your right and will notice anything coming from the left :)

Which front shirt pocket you put the phone in and how you stand at the counter is what matters here. Always try to look in the direction of your pocket. Simpler still, in such a situation just place one hand on your pocket.

Last edited:
I was wearing a polo tshirt with packet on LHS. Crowded scenario is like this : You will be pushed pushed and moved around from all sides. When people hold their bill copy above shoulder level, their elbow will hit/touch your shirt packet. And the thieves use the same technique. They come in a gang of 3 one of them will push another will raise the arm and hit with his elbow while other guy uses his fingers to take out to pass the phone. Of course, I learnt all these after the incident. I also heard that a phone was clipped to a cop's belt also got flicked. One of these guys were caught and let off since he was connected to political party. Whole thing makes me wonder in what kind of law and order situation we live in. Granted, I should have been careful. But looks like, one need to be careful 7x24. These guys roundup all hi value mobiles and exchange with outside city (example : Bagalore team will give to Hyd team) crew to be sold in black markets. Hope this helps others. That is why I am going for cheaper phone.

I totally agree with @blr_p.

If you think that you should buy a phone as a consolation; you will never be satisfied as it will always get compared to S3, eventually resulting in a let down feeling. If you don't have the budget you can buy some el cheapo and buy S3 or better later; or you can buy the one you like on EMI to spread the cost.

IMO do not spend lot and remain dissatisfied. And yes, treat the loss as an incident and be careful next time.

Morale of the story is don't punish yourself, further. Some people would use this as an excuse to pamper themselves and go for an S4 :D

Treat this as a lesson of life in which there will be many.

The Lumia 720 is an excellent option and suits all your needs. Plus since the UI is buttery smooth you will begin to like it :) Give it a test drive at some Nokia Centre in Bangalore and see for yourself. If WP8 is not your piece of cake then its better to get the Xperia L or M or the LG Optimus L9.

Back