Budget 0-20k low cost Home server

Witcher

Disciple
Low Cost Home Server

Q: What is your budget?

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

2GB DDR3 1333 laptop ram
500 gb laptop hdd 2.5"
1 TB 3.5 " HDD
500W Cooler Master Extreme Power Supply

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

2GB DDR3 1333 laptop ram (if i can used laptop ram its good else will buy new)
500 gb laptop hdd 2.5"
1 TB 3.5 " HDD
500W Cooler Master Extreme Power Supply

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
NA
AMD E350 Motherboard

Need suggestion for very compact Server Cabinet with low Power footprint small size with atleast 2 Hdd inside the case .

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes, final config

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Mumbai

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

NAS
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Transcoding Media Server

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

The brand should have good after sale service in India.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

No

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Headless home server

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Need suggestion here ....
Ubuntu Server / Win 2008R2 / FreeNAS

Need suggestion for low Cost and low power Footprint always on server with small size atleast 2 Hdd inside the case .

I bought a machine for the same purpose although transcoding will not be possible on it.
You can get a Intel Atom D425KT mobo for around 4K.It serves nicely as a 24*7 D/L rig and samba server but is woeful when it comes to video playback.I would suggest you get a AMD E350 based mobo.I had my eyes on this mobo as I was looking to upgrade my file server to a media server to hook up with my HDTV but it is now out of stock
Gigabyte E350N Motherboard - Gigabyte: Flipkart.com

The thing is that the Atom mobo supports laptop RAM but the E350 mbo doesn't seem to(At least what I thought from the picture).

I have a iBall Nettop 009 outfitted with a 2 TB HDD.
You can only put in a single 3.5" HDD in this cabby but this cabby has a 5.25" optical drive bay.You can get a converter with which you can put in a HDD in the drive bay

iBall NetTop 009 Price - Buy iBall NetTop 009 Price in India, Best Prices n Review

iBall Net Top 009 150 W Cabinet - price in India : Rediff Shopping

I want also to stream MKV files over network to TV using Serviio or any other media server. any suggestions ?
Also which is best setup OS for this ? ubuntu ? Win 2008 server or FreeNAS ?

i have tried freenas, should work fine on the setup you posted...

im planning to build one too, and my only doubt is if e350 can handle transcoding on the fly?

Back