Low Cost PSU for Backup PC

Neotheone

Figuring stuff out
Adept
Hi everyone, I am putting together a i37100 based backup system and am looking for a reasonable PSU. Albeit I do not plan to spend too much for obvious reasons, including that it won't be used too much. I would also run my AMD 6500XT on it along with probably a sata magnetic storage HDD.

Are there any low cost options that are reasonably reliable? I will spend more if I must but Id like to keep it not much above 1K if possible.

Ideally, you shouldn't cheap out on the PSU. You must have heard this multiple times. Anyway, I've been in this situation before (where I had to find a PSU with a limited budget) and I would suggest 2 options:

1: Get a decent, 80+ bronze 450 watt PSU
2: Spent slightly more and get a 550 watt PSU

This depends on your upgrade path for that pc. As for your current setup, 450 is enough. But if you're looking to upgrade/get a new PC, you can use the same 550 watt PSU.

Online I've seen 550 watt bronze psus going for around 1800-2100.
For 450 watt, it's very common to find used for around 1200 to 1600.

A few common ones found would be MWE and VS series (cm and Corsair respectively)

If you're looking for new, you wouldn't and most importantly shouldn't get new for that price. Very bad quality PSUs meant for lower end parts.

So, I'd recommend used only. The lowest you could find a deal can be 1200 rupees ish.

Last edited:
No branded PSUs come in that range. You can get local PSUs from offline stores. Needless to say nobody will recommend those here. Even Ant eSports and Antec Atom PSUs cost more than that, and nobody recommends those either.

Cheapest PSUs worth buying are Deepcool PF series and Coolermaster MWE series. But they cost close to 3k.

No branded PSUs come in that range. You can get local PSUs from offline stores. Needless to say nobody will recommend those here. Even Ant eSports and Antec Atom PSUs cost more than that, and nobody recommends those either.

Cheapest PSUs worth buying are Deepcool PF series and Coolermaster MWE series. But they cost close to 3k.
I think @Neotheone 's only option is used

If you're open to used items, the marketplace here can help.
Hey I could explore that, could you give me a sense if older PSUs could have weaker capacitors or circuits by any chance? I read something to that effect on a reddit post. (Although I recognize that I do not have too much of a choice , given the price point that I hope to get it at).

Hey I could explore that, could you give me a sense if older PSUs could have weaker capacitors or circuits by any chance? I read something to that effect on a reddit post. (Although I recognize that I do not have too much of a choice , given the price point that I hope to get it at).
Theoretically, the psu components do degrade with time but practically it depends a lot on how psu was used (somewhat similar to a graphics card used for gaming vs one used for mining 24*7). I have a 6 years old psu which was in tier B of cultist psu tier list in its initial years of launch & it has been rock solid till now & I think it will easily give 5-6 years more if used in a typical pc with typical usage.

If you have the budget then I suggest to buy this asap, will be good even for future builds for next 6-7 years just like my psu I bought back in 2018.

Back