Low end rig

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. As cheap as possible :ashamed:

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Laptop

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Nothing

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. CPU - AMD Athlon X2
2. Motherboard - any compatible mobo
3. GPU - Looking for a good onboard solution with HDMI (if possible)
4. HDD - 500 GB WD Green
5. Monitor - 16.5in +
6. Cabinet - Some low end Coolermaster
7. ODD - something reliable here
8. K/B + Mouse - Basic Wireless Combo
9. PSU - Again something reliable but under 2k
10. RAM - 4gigs of Corsair VS

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. No.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Delhi/Noida (If any)

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Browsing
2. Watching the occasional HD movie

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1. Making this rig for my parents so want it as maintenance and trouble free as possible therefore looking for stuff from all the better brands.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

1. Mostly all the old cRPG's (Fallout, Baldur's Gate, etc)
2. Some of the Old Sim Games (SimCity, Capitalization, etc)

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Desktop - anything

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows 7 64 bit
2. Windows XP 32 bit

Simple theme of the above rig is a cheap reliable PC for my parents, I'm willing to downsize on a few components if I can get a better brand with better A.S.S and will insist on reliable components rather than the performance oriented ones. Not looking for anything extra as PC will be mostly used to run a few astrology software's and other basic stuff.

Another thing is I want this rig as cheap as possible so please don't advice me to get a better more future proof product. Currently have 4 laptops in my home and 3 of them are 3+ yrs old and the one good one has been donated to my brother. So anything I buy will be faster and a lot better.

TIA :)

I really dont have a budget but would be look to keep it as low costing as possible, say something under 25k would be good, under 20k would be brilliant.

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD Athlon II X2 250/AthlonII X3 440 2700/3300

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H 4100

RAM Corsair 4GB DDRIII 1333MHz Single stick 2100

HDD 500GB Seagate 7200.12 1750

GPU Raedon HD4250 -

Monitor Dell 1920IN 5550

Cabinet Zebronics Bijili w/o SMPS 1100

PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w/400w 1500/1900

Key Board+Mouse Logitech Cordless Blk MK250 1200

ODD L.G./Samung/ SOny OEM SATA DVD-Writer 950

Speakers Altec Lansing BXR1121 2.1 950

Total 21900/22900

This would be a ideal rig for ur usage. Since you have mentioned HDMI as a need are you planning to connect you rig to a LCD TV? Else get a 22" monitor like the Benq G2220HD ~ 7.5k

note : Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H needs a 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector .

that's why i prefer the cm 350+, it has 4 & 8 pin conn and 4 sata conn.

PoBoy said:

Oops :ashamed:

@OP: Then u can consider the MSI 880GM-E41 or a good PSU like the Corsair CX400/ Seasonic S12II 430w ~ 2.6k for the Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H.

PoBoy said:
note : Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H needs a 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector.

AFAIK, that depends on what CPU you're gonna pair it with with. If you're gonna pair a 125W quad core with it, then it'll need ATX 12V 2x4. On a brand new GA-880GM-UD2H (or any latest Gigabyte board), only 4 (of the ATX 12V 2x4) pin sockets are visible. Rest 4 are covered by a plastic cap that you need to take off if you wanna connect a ATX 12V 2x4 connector (if your PSU has one). An ATX 12V 2x4 adapter can also be used. AMD Athlon II X2/X3 /X4 (w/o overclocking) and Phenom II X2/X3 & X4 (840 & 925 - w/o overclocking) will run just fine on ATX 12V 1x4. Just make sure the PSU isn't an el cheapo one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PoBoy said:

i have built a PC for my neighbor using this mobo (880GM-UD2H)... His PC runs fine on a gigabyte Superb 460w PSU which has only one EPS12v 4pin connector...

Thanks for all the inputs guys. Today I went to Nehru Place and bought all the stuff.

Got these from SMC International

AMD Athlon X3 440 - 3.4k

Gigabyte 880G-UD2H - 4.3k

Corsair VS 4GB (1333MHz) - 2.4k

WD 500GB (BLUE) - 1.75k

LG SATA DVD-RW - .85k

Dell ST2220M 22in - 8.4k

CM Elite 310 - 1.5k

CM 350W - 1.5k

Logitech Cordless MX250 - 1.2k

Creative 2.1 - 1k

Logitech Webcam - .4k

Philips Headphones - .7k

UPS Microtek - 1.5k

Netgear Wireless Card - .7k

CM Thermal Fusion paste - .4k

I paid around 30K INR for all of the above, was in a really hurry as my dad was threateningly close to buy a Dell Inspiron desktop worth 33k so just went into the first shop and bought all the stuff, might have paid 1k extra as the rates were marginally higher in almost all the items (100-200 bucks) but I'm happy :D.

Also tried a minor OC of 3.4G's with the proccy and it was stable and temps were below 36 but reverted back to stock as I'm not sure of the SMPS or the poor cooling of the stock heatsink.

Congrats Buddy!!! :D

Audi0slave said:
Also tried a minor OC of 3.4G's with the proccy and it was stable and temps were below 36 but reverted back to stock as I'm not sure of the SMPS or the poor cooling of the stock heatsink.
have u tried to unlock the 4th core :D... may b u wud b able to do it... Best Of luck... :p

Hades. said:
Congrats Buddy!!! :D

have u tried to unlock the 4th core :D... may b u wud b able to do it... Best Of luck... :p

Will try it today only :eek:hyeah:

btw edited previous post with price details. Purchased this from SMC International.

stockfly said:
Just incase he wants to add a Graphic card, this CM 350w is not enough. He should hv bought atleast CM400w? But anyways, good buy...
GPU will not be added. Its just a basic home purpose rig, will not be in upgraded in a long time.

Back