Low power download system suggestion

M4SH

Disciple
Hello all,

I'm in need of a low power download system. Please suggest solution based on below requirements.

1. I will be using it for downloading torrents for the most part.
  2. I will be using ADSL connection with unlimited plan from BSNL for downloading.
  3. Will be connecting pen drive mostly as I don't have external hard drive right now (and don't plan on buying it until 6-8 month).
  4. Want to configure the device as WiFi hotspot for surfing using an Android phone and laptop (Will this require any additional hardware to be attached to the device?).
  5. Later, I plan on using it as NAS and want to host a personal website.
  6. I won't mind if any additional modification/custom modding is required.

Please suggest in budget within 3K INR. Can stretch it upto 3.5K max.

TIA.
<

#M4SH, get either a pogoplug or a Seagate GoFlex Net as #dinjo suggested. If you have a modem only from BSNL, you would need to to get a simple switch too, but if you have a modem cum router, no additional switch will be necessary.

Support for both is good, and if you are not very sure on which to go, would suggest to go for the pogoplug as it is newer and more faster.

Neither will be able to be used as a wifi hotspot. In this case, go for the ASUS RT N13U B1 wifi router, but it might be slow.

Using additional modding/scripting, you can make it run a website.

If you have a modem only from BSNL, you would need to to get a simple switch too, but if you have a modem cum router, no additional switch will be necessary.

Some BSNL modems of TYPE I are modem+router with only one LAN port out. you need a switch in that case. Other higher modems+router like TYPE II come with 4 LAN ports out.

• Want to configure the device as WiFi hotspot for surfing using an Android phone and laptop (Will this require any additional hardware to be attached to the device?).
  • Later, I plan on using it as NAS and want to host a personal website.
  • I won't mind if any additional modification/custom modding is required.

[font=arial, sans-serif]Please suggest in budget within 3K INR. Can stretch it upto 3.5K max.[/font]

ASUS RT-N13U B1 fits the requirements.

For a quick info on the device and everything you need to know can be found in this thread made by dinjo

http://www.techencla...upports-dd-wrt/

Dont know about Pogoplug Pro's Hotspot functionality

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
<
I think ASUS RT-N13U meets my requirements and budget. Planning to get this one over PogoPlug Pro as it don't support WiFi hotspot OOTB. Quick question though. There is revision B1 also for this model. What's the difference between these two?

RT N13U B1 - 2900

[sup]Pogo - 2600[/sup]

You will need a ethernet switch or your router should have more than 2 LAN ports for Pogo.

Pogo Plug Pro has wifi and Sata connector and Pogo Pink has better hardware but no wifi or SATA.

Thanks sharing that information. I will keep an eye out for the Pogo Pink then
<

Anyone from this forum tried installing some other linux distro on it?

Back