Budget 31-40k Mac Mini, RAM, Warranty

Maestro

Adept
Hi,

My office is planning on purchasing a Mac Mini (2011, 2.5ghz model a.k.a the higher-end model) We are going in for this one because this model has 4gb RAM compared to the base model's 2gb. The dedicated graphics and higher-capacity hdd are not deciding factors. However, the difference is price (nearly 15k) is quite large.

Therefore:

• If we choose the base model and later need to upgrade, can we buy third-party Mac certified RAM (Crucial, Corsair, etc) and have Apple install it for us?
  • Also, if we upgrade the RAM ourselves, what is Apple's warranty policy? Google says that Apple will cover everything but the user-upgraded RAM. Does this apply to India too?

Thanks,

Yeah get it and upgrade yourself.nothing happens to your warranty or anything.
If you are not doing anything graphic intensive in terms of productivity then i do recommend the base version and add an ssd with the remaining cash.
Your machine will smoke other machines twice the price and size.cheers.

I got a mac mini 2.3 Ghz Core i5 with 8 GB 1333Mhz upgraded ram by myself, how can I install SSD ? The 2011 version only given RAM upgrade option for user.

Yeah get it and upgrade yourself.nothing happens to your warranty or anything.
If you are not doing anything graphic intensive in terms of productivity then i do recommend the base version and add an ssd with the remaining cash.
Your machine will smoke other machines twice the price and size.cheers.

Thanks for the reply.

The answer is no. Nothing graphics-intensive at all. The developers need it to test plugins on OS X. As such, I don't think the SSD is a necessity, though I will keep this in mind.

On another note, is Mac-certified RAM available in India?

Back