Mac OS X Leopard

Pichingo

Disciple
Hi, I'm trying to decide between a mac and a pc, and to say the truth i'm scared to migrate to vista; is leopard a better option? can I run windows' programs on leopard?

There is nothing to be scared abt in vista, if its a new pc, rest assured that there will not be any speed issues..just ensure u get 2gb ram, which is pretty cheap these days..

As for mac, there r people here on the forum who love mac...And prob will help u in migrating from a windows environment...

Natively windows programs cannot run on leopard...but thre are a few applications which allow u to run windows programs, But remember their compatiblity is limited...So try before u make the decision,

OR, Buy a copy of leopard,Go to mac forums,Know which hardware x86 hardware is totally compatible wid Leopard, And build yourself a Hackintosh(Leopard on a Windows Pc-x86).This way you get the best of both worlds..

get a mac. you can dual boot OS X and Windows now without the need for emulation. unless you play a lot of games, i don't think you'll be using windows a lot when you have OS X installed :)

i personally can't stand windows at all. i use it only for gaming... and even that is still XP

Here is the thing: I'm gonna buy a new laptop, which will be basically used
for browsing the internet, working on office stuff and mostly music :dj::cool2:

So what may be the pros and cons of each OS? would i have to buy every apple program? Can i use pirated software on XP? on mac OS? Which is faster on equal configurations (core 2 duo 800 mhz fsb, 2gb ram)

I'm starting to have an inclination towards apple cause you can run windows on it, and you cannot run OsX on a pc right :huh: (unless i could make a hackintosh out of a laptop):huh:

Sounds like you're looking to get a Macintosh because you perceive it to be cooler or something.

Have you ever used OS X?

I think at the end of the day by the the way your post goes you'll be mostly running windows. I'd recommend you just get a windows laptop.

Since your needs are limited to internet, music and office stuff you are a perfect candidate for Mac and OSX. There are MS Office versions for mac, Office 2004 is available and Office 2008 is about to be released, maybe it already is.

OSX is nice, it is simple yet feature rich. Very easy to use, very little banging your head, just switch on and you are productive. IMHO its better engineered and Apple puts a thought into the end user experience. Why don't you try it at a mac store and see if you like it. Plus you can dual boot to XP as you said.

no you don't need to buy each and every apple program.. there are plenty of places to get good freeware and shareware.. you just have to know where to look. Mac OS X Software Updates and Mac OS X Downloads - VersionTracker and MacUpdate: Apple Macintosh Software & Game Downloads are two.

going by your needs, i'd really recommend a Mac. it shouldn't take you very long to get used to even if you haven't used one before. dual booting into xp if you really need can also be done so i don't see why you shouldn't get a mac.

apsk121 said:
Sounds like you're looking to get a Macintosh because you perceive it to be cooler or something.
Have you ever used OS X?

I think at the end of the day by the the way your post goes you'll be mostly running windows. I'd recommend you just get a windows laptop.

Actually a Mac is cooler than most brand name pc's; and no, I've never used mac OS, but dude, an old dog can learn new tricks; the less 'computer savvy' people like me learn a lot in this forums you know... I think I'll be asking how to install the dual boot on mac os in a couple of weeks :cheers:

........... hey what about linux? can you install that on a mac?:eek:ppo:

Pichingo said:
Actually a Mac is cooler than most brand name pc's; and no, I've never used mac OS, but dude, an old dog can learn new tricks; the less 'computer savvy' people like me learn a lot in this forums you know... I think I'll be asking how to install the dual boot on mac os in a couple of weeks :cheers:

........... hey what about linux? can you install that on a mac?:eek:ppo:

I was able to boot an Ubuntu Live CD. Installed Linux through VMWare.

See feature wise none is less than the other...But atm windows has much better flagship products..

From what i heard abt office 08 is its nowhere near office 2007 for windows, Off 2007 simplified things, but u dont see the same in office 08..Also no ribbon interface...
Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Office 2008 for Mac Review

Go for the most mac compatible x86 hardware...You'l hav the choice of windows mac and linux...

Or if u decide to go for mac check out a running one for some time...U generally love it or u dont..

from ur requirement any experienced person will have only one thing to say :

Go for a Mac.

As someone already said,

" OSX is nice, it is simple yet feature rich. Very easy to use, very little banging your head, just switch on and you are productive. IMHO its better engineered and Apple puts a thought into the end user experience."

Rightly said.

But there are negatives too.

Windows is proprietary only in software domain, while Apple has complete lock down on both hardware and software....

so if i would have been in ur place (looking for bringing some change in my computing experience from Windows and just hate proprietary software), i would have bought a laptop with full support for Linux.

With Linux you have the full freedom and ability to use your computer. With Linux, computer is your slave, not vice versa.

And mind u bro, Linux is going big places.....

Ok dudes I've attached a photo of my brain right there; all this information you give me takes time to penetrate in the brain so... i will dare to say this from what i've been able to absorb:

- I will be able to have a dual boot with my mac book; hell I could have triple boot system! Mac OS, Windows xp or vista and linux ::D :eek:hyeah:

- The system will boot windows, but with limited hardware compatibilities.

- Linux is easier to manipulate nowadays.

- A mac is faster.

Attachments

• roca.jpg
    roca.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 89
- I will be able to have a dual boot with my mac book; hell I could have triple boot system! Mac OS, Windows xp or vista and linux ::D :eek:hyeah:
yes most probably..But double check before buying
WAt limited capablities r u talking abt..A little more specific?
- Linux is easier to manipulate nowadays.
People say dat, But my personal experience says otherwise
- A mac is faster.
A myth..depends on the hardware..Any recent comp wil give good performance wid windows too...
What u shud hav understood is, Looks wise macs are good.
But if u dont want to pay the premium, there are Better alternative at cheaper prices, full functionality...

for your usage, a mac running windows will probably do everything you need it to. however, i really doubt you'll be using windows once you spend a week or so with OS X.

Party Monger said:
WAt limited capablities r u talking abt..A little more specific?

Ok, lets say i'm running windowsXP on the mac and i connect a pocket pc; is it gonna work allright? What about Usb devices, routers. Does windows XP have drivers for the mac's hardware i/o components?

Pichingo said:
Ok, lets say i'm running windowsXP on the mac and i connect a pocket pc; is it gonna work allright? What about Usb devices, routers. Does windows XP have drivers for the mac's hardware i/o components?

everything will work just like on a windows pc.

ashr said:
i haven't had a problem with anything so far. afaik, it's very close to running XP on any Intel based PC.

I guess it isn't close enough becouse of the mouse... ?

Well i'm 97% sure I'll buy a macbook, unless I can't find one with the configuration I demand :p

Back