Mac OS X Leopard

ashr said:
for your usage, a mac running windows will probably do everything you need it to. however, i really doubt you'll be using windows once you spend a week or so with OS X.

Ok dude, i'm now running windows XP on my macbook; runs great. Boot camp installed all the windows drivers with no hassle. But i think i made a little mistake :p; The windows partition is to small to store the music files (my mistake). I left all my music on the mac partition... How can i access the files on the mac os partition from within windows? :huh:

Some things to note about getting a Mac Book

1. Boot Camp is used to install Windows on Mac Machines, Theres a limitation in this thing and its that it will run only when theres a single partition present when launching it. So that means you cannot install Mac OS + Windows + Linux as easily as you make it sound. There are ways to avoid using Boot Camp completely, but be ready to mess with some partitioning tools and hacks to get the work done.

2. Apple recommends using FAT32 partitions rather than NTFS, this limits the size of the partition. You can also use NTFS, but you will loose write access to that volume under Mac OS (You can still read the files).

If you really want to try out Linux or even Windows Vista without messing with the current setup you have, then get Virtual Box for Windows or Mac OS X. Its a software similar to VMWare to setup virtual machines and and run OS on top of it. I found Virtual Box to be very functional and its free for non commercial use. If your Processor has Virtualization, it makes it all the more easy.

Heres a Pic of my PC running Two different flavors of Linux on top of Win XP at the same time, I can go full screen on any one.

Thanks, these are certainly great tools, but I would like to install as less crap as possible on the computer, having said that:

Can I run the windows xp (the one I installed with boot camp) with virtual box? and again, Can I access all files on on the leopard partition?

Example:
I start up the pc in leopard and proceed to open windows through virtual box. I'm in windows now, and decide to open a media playing software and add songs to the playlist, but the songs are in a folder on macintosh HD. will the program be able to even read these files? Because if not possible I'll just make a bigger windows partition.

just an FYI: For NTFS read/write, you can download and install Macfuse.

There are also a lot of explorer tools out there to read the Mac partition from windows.

^^Dude, what do you think he has just done?

Pichingo, get Macfuse as Smith said to install the NTFS write driver on Mac OS X 10.5.x Leopard. For Vista/XP, I currently use this program called HFS Explorer which basically allows me to read files off HFS partitions.

Tried hfs explorer... works BUT can't modify the archives directly. It's of no use for my purpose.
Tried MacDrive and like udayrulz says: "works a charm". I was able to sync my desktop's data to the laptop's HFS partition :hap2:; BUT I don't have 50 bucks :ashamed: (and could'nt find a working generator for the version i downloaded).

Are there any free apps that work just like macdrive?

WTF! somehow the mac OS boot volume has been lost! I'll just start everything all over again the easy way. Thanks dudes.

(where's the smiley of the dog with the tail between his legs?!):mad:

Pichingo said:
WTF! somehow the mac OS boot volume has been lost! I'll just start everything all over again the easy way. Thanks dudes.

(where's the smiley of the dog with the tail between his legs?!):mad:

How did that happen..:S :S

Back