MacBook Pro 14 and MacBook Pro 16 with new processors released

MacBook-Pro-Notch-Feature.jpg
Apple is calling the event 'Unleashed' and its expected that they would be demonstrating the true power of their new silicon which they introduced in the lower end MacBooks. Calling them lower end would not be accurate given how they outperformed the beefier Intel processors. So much so that Intel went scrambling in desperation to release a series of ads showing how non-apple laptops are better, not once comparing the actual performance of Intel vs Apple silicon.

The MacBook Pro laptops are also supposed to redesigned around the new processors which are extremely energy efficient thus leading to a more compact design. The screen bezels are supposed to even thinner than they are in the 16" MacBook Pro and introduce a new MacBook screen size of 14" instead of the regular 13" size. The displays are expected to be mini LED with higher resolutions.

The base models on the new processor, to be called M1X or M2, are supposed to start with 16GB RAM and 512GB storage. The processors themselves will get a bump up from 4 performance cores to 10 performance cores and 16 graphic cores from the 8 graphic cores. The cores are expected to run at a higher frequency. No wonder the event is being called Unleashed and Intel is scared out of their wits.

There are also rumours that the Touch Bar will go away in favor of regular function keys and we will have more variety of ports than just USBC ports currently available. A return to MagSafe charging is also expected.

All this however will likely cost 1,74,000 for the starting model here in India and would price it way out of reach for most of us.

Personally I would prefer that they introduce the redesigned chassis in the current base MacBook Pro model and take it from 13" to 14" with the current M1 processor in the market. I would happily take that model with a 16GB RAM option to replace my ageing MacBook 12. Had been saving every month for past 2 years for this day.

Last edited:
Can't believe another year has come and gone since M1. Mac rears its head again and its competitors have nothing concrete to boast about. Waiting for AMD and intel to show their class and years of experience soon.
One good thing in years to come, atleast 1080p webcam in upcoming laptops. Love the full panel display sans bezels. Loved it in latest XPS and yesterday's behemoth.

Can't imagine spending 2l on this and get shoddy service in India.

tsmc raised its chip prices by 20% and to that add the inflation due to jpow printing so many dollars. I think it still beats buying a 3080ti. I was hoping for a new ipad pro so little bit disappointed. also dont see a reason to upgrade from m1.

tsmc raised its chip prices by 20% and to that add the inflation due to jpow printing so many dollars. I think it still beats buying a 3080ti. I was hoping for a new ipad pro so little bit disappointed. also dont see a reason to upgrade from m1.
I think it is more like mobile 3060 something. Let's see what reviews tell. Must be some typo or are you hoping for a new ipad pro in this event?

"Apple MacBook Pro India prices
The new MacBook Pro models with M1 Pro and M1 Max are available to order today on the official Apple India online store. They will be in stores from October 26. The new 14-inch MacBook Pro model starts at Rs 1,94,900, and Rs1,75,410 for students. The 16-inch MacBook Pro model starts at Rs 2,39,900, and Rs 2,15,910 for students. Also note that macOS Monterey will be available as a free software update on Monday, October 25."

I love the part about the student prices. :p :p I guess these are the "student of the year" kind of students who have this kind of money lying around. :D

Regular m1 looking real value for money right now. My guess is that they will start selling out soon, after people take a look at m1 pro and m1 max prices.

Alright, off to buy the M1 MacBook Air with 16GB RAM. 2Lakhs for a laptop, as awesome as it is. No thanks.

View attachment 117616
Do not buy Air for any kind of pro work as it has no fan and can throttle under load which mean even before you see any kind of benefit from the additional ram the app would lag.
Totally getting your point, chip shortage is real. Even left over lot is now being sold at a premium prices.

Last edited:
Do not buy Air for any kind of pro work as it has no fan and can throttle under load which mean even before you see any kind of benefit from the additional ram the app would lag.
Not really, except for long renders (more than 15mins long). You can check out this review where the reviewer talks about this aspect between the Air and Pro, among others. Even then, the performance loss is only about 10%, nothing which will make the laptop lag as such. The difference between longer render times (shown later on in the review) are also not that big - barely 5-10% better. The Air with 16GB RAM and 1TB storage would make more sense than a Pro 13 at same price but lower specs. So unless someone is running renders 24x7, or really needs the extra 1.5hrs of battery life over the Air's already excellent 11.5hrs and an arguably better screen for pro level video/photo editing, getting the Pro doesn't make sense from an economical perspective.

Not really, except for long renders (more than 15mins long). You can check out this review where the reviewer talks about this aspect between the Air and Pro, among others. Even then, the performance loss is only about 10%, nothing which will make the laptop lag as such. The difference between longer render times (shown later on in the review) are also not that big - barely 5-10% better. The Air with 16GB RAM and 1TB storage would make more sense than a Pro 13 at same price but lower specs. So unless someone is running renders 24x7, or really needs the extra 1.5hrs of battery life over the Air's already excellent 11.5hrs and an arguably better screen for pro level video/photo editing, getting the Pro doesn't make sense from an economical perspective.
I can really notice a performance difference between Mac Mini and a fan-less Air. Also using 2019 MacBook Pro 16 side by side, which is not getting much of a use because there is night and day difference between Intel and M1 machines.

I can really notice a performance difference between Mac Mini and a fan-less Air. Also using 2019 MacBook Pro 16 side by side, which is not getting much of a use because there is night and day difference between Intel and M1 machines.
Ah that's interesting to know. Are there any specific apps where you can notice a difference, or does it just feel slower overall? I've used a friend's M1 Pro 13 and M1 Air for a couple of days for just regular day to day usage (web browsing with 50 or so tabs, music playing from local folder), and didn't really notice a difference between the both except for the Pro being slightly heavier.

Ah that's interesting to know. Are there any specific apps where you can notice a difference, or does it just feel slower overall? I've used a friend's M1 Pro 13 and M1 Air for a couple of days for just regular day to day usage (web browsing with 50 or so tabs, music playing from local folder), and didn't really notice a difference between the both except for the Pro being slightly heavier.
Yes I usually run Xcode simulators 24x7, due to which I feel Air gets throttled often especially in high humidity summer days. If I had a choice now, I would have picked Pro over Air.

Ambient temp difference between India and where these youtube reviewers are sitting ie. North America, there is huge gap. Air is perfect office laptop though ie. web browsing, office apps like excel, powerpoint etc. Just not suited for pro users who are under heavy load environment, that's all.

Last edited:
"student of the year" kind of students
kota factory type students, now they will win those laptops instead of BMW.

Honestly, i was holding on for this.. but im disappointed with the pricing. doesn't look very realistic for any user case.
Developers working in faang can afford it, average can't, and poor photographer & artists who need this at most dont stand a chance. :(
Can we avail home loan to buy this?

HDFC has internal association with apple India, you might want to check with them. Real Estate in bad shape - they might give you this loan :p

I'm really excited about the new models!

The last great Macbook Pro was the 2011 17" one that eventually died a horrible death from unfortunate GPU issues. I had one and it was pretty amazing for the two years that it lasted. It was bittersweet that they ended up discontinuing it for the 2012 models, which was the last time a Macbook Pro could be upgraded to the point it didn't seem too far behind Windows laptops. There were growing pains with the Retina models, and none of them actually were appealing until about 2018/2019 when they solved the thermal throttling issues they had. Even then, they weren't much of an incentive to move on from a 2012 15" because they were priced unreasonably for the performance and expandability they offered.

But these new model are so cool! the design harkens back to their Powerbook G4 days, and the performance gains is absolutely stunning. My travelling days are over, so I have no real need of a portable, but I'm looking forward to seeing theses new chips in an updated Mac Pro or Mac mini.

powerbook_g4_12-02.jpg

Can you even get the 16GB M1 MacBooks in India ?

They're a configure-to-order option available from Apple.com, It's Rs 20k jump up to 16GB from 8GB.

kota factory type students, now they will win those laptops instead of BMW.

Honestly, i was holding on for this.. but im disappointed with the pricing. doesn't look very realistic for any user case.
Developers working in faang can afford it, average can't, and poor photographer & artists who need this at most dont stand a chance. :(

HDFC has internal association with apple India, you might want to check with them. Real Estate in bad shape - they might give you this loan :p

I don't understand this notion that artists and photographers NEED it. There are enough Windows based workflows that can at times out do/performApple's hardware (and software)

Last edited:
Apple really made a huge price gap between the pro and non-pro machines with this release. The M1 laptops are really too VFM for the price to performance ratio but the Pro/Max ones are really asking for a huge premium.

Also I don't understand the reason for adding a notch without having FaceID sensors. All in all I am sticking to my 13' 2018 Intel MBP till it dies. Hope my employer would give me the new pro when I join in November.

I don't understand this notion that artists and photographers NEED it. There are enough Windows based workflows that can at times out do/performApple's hardware (and software)
its doesn't work like what you might be thinking. It has nothing to do with "workflows" rather colour calibration and reproduction.

In a profession environment, i am yet to see a windows setup, except in only one instance ( had linux+win hybrid environment), where the monitors were custom made HP and NEC and costed in tune of 4L in INR, those had be calibrated with hardware tools at periodic intervals - but again the final images were colour-matched in thunderbolt display before it went online.

One retail company got sued due to wrong colours in US, few years back.

edit :
talking about windows, it is shit.
It cant even display colours right within windows.. it will change with gpu, monitor etc etc ..
and it cant maintain same colour profile with its own application. see this: same image two application day and night colour difference.
Capture_.jpg

Last edited:
There are enough Windows based workflows that can at times out do/performApple's hardware (and software)

It has nothing to do with "workflows" rather colour calibration and reproduction.

This is true and it stems from the way Mac software is designed, every program is colour space aware. You can make Windows colour accurate, but it's never going to be system-wide across every program. This really needs to change, but it hasn't yet so it might never change.

Back