macbook pro with ssd

cnctinc

Disciple
hi.. any one having used both a macbook pro with ssd and new macbook air...
what will be the difference in boot up time.. currently i use earlier version of macbook air with a ssd.. from sleep it jus comes on fast... does the new macbook air does it even faster... same for mac book pro with a ssd... which one of these two will have faster boot up times... and sleep/wake time...

does it matter?

my bros been using macbook pro for almost 2 yrs,he doesnt completely shut down atall, only sleep and back, the difference hardly matters, on his hd it takes less than 5 secs.

cnctinc said:
hi.. any one having used both a macbook pro with ssd and new macbook air...

what will be the difference in boot up time.. currently i use earlier version of macbook air with a ssd.. from sleep it jus comes on fast... does the new macbook air does it even faster... same for mac book pro with a ssd... which one of these two will have faster boot up times... and sleep/wake time...

there will be considerable difference with a ssd.me too considering to upgrade towards a ssd.its crazy because mac os is already very fast and it would be incredible if it gets even faster.

as for upgrading to ssd.kindly do not give it to apple.i would recommend you to replace it yourself[many youtube vids and its freakin easy].it will save you loads of money.

@salluks...thanks for the reply... btw even i don't completly shut down my air... i might have put the question wrongly.... basic thing i wanna know... will ssd on a macbook pro make it as responsive as my macbook air... as wen i compare it to imac.. this macbook air.. though lot less powerful.. still opens apps faster..... the imac is a normal hdd one.. no ssd...

@vantheman... yup i'll be doing it by myself... thanks for the reply...

cnctinc said:
hey... checked up... 512ssd cost is much higher in market than wat apple does it from online store...
if the market price is higher the ssd must be of a better quality than what apple is offering for sure.check primeabgb [google this].they have a decent stock of ssd's at a decent price.

vantheman5211 said:
if the market price is higher the ssd must be of a better quality than what apple is offering for sure.check primeabgb [google this].they have a decent stock of ssd's at a decent price.

yup i know prime guy... but guess no1 can buy one off ssd less than wat apple is giving for 512 build to order option... checked on newegg too... nothing less than 1250 usd.. if ny comes across 512ssd for under 1k... plz update me on it...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

lowest with prime is 256gig for 31500/-

512 from apple is 1100usd.. guess much better... as it won't void the warranty..

^^ but are apple revealing which ssd at the point of adding the ssd has a option? because there is a difference between ssd's.if there is no difference than go for it imo.

^ There's no real difference as such between SSDs and Apple wont use some fake Chinese manufacturer anyway.

$1100 for 512GB is a pretty awesome deal, I'd definitely go for it!

Anish said:
^ There's no real difference as such between SSDs and Apple wont use some fake Chinese manufacturer anyway.

not saying that they will use some chinese crap.just wanted too know whether the ssd is slc or mlc.

Anish said:

You have to be kidding me.
I hope you have used an SSD before making such a blanket claim.

On a related note, there have apparently been reports of data degradation on the SAMSUNG+Toshiba SSDs in current gen (non sandy bridge), MBPs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

vantheman5211 said:
not saying that they will use some chinese crap.just wanted too know whether the ssd is slc or mlc.
Don't expect Apple to use SLC.
These will mostly be Samsung drives with Toshiba controllers. Most OEMs use these. Pretty much nobody uses SSDs from manufacturers that make things for the retail market.
Put another way, don't expect to find SLC/Sandforce.

What about the new OCZ Vertex 3 (not Pro) recently featured on AnandTech? -> OCZ Vertex 3 Preview: Faster and Cheaper than the Vertex 3 Pro - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

The performance of this second generation of SandForce based SSDs is nothing short of astounding. The big questions really are about reliability and firmware maturity, both of which we can't really answer until we get final drives in hand with mass production firmware.

At the same time there are a couple of new SSDs headed to market in the coming weeks that will compete in this space. Next up? Corsair and Intel.

Back