Machine went for a toss after Symantec client remote install

SOM1

Disciple
Hi all,

to start with I was using TeamViewer to remotely install symantec client 9.0 on my

Papa's laptop -winXP. The AV successfully installed and then the issue started when it was updating itself. all of a sudden the machine hanged .. never to recover !!

When hard booted the machine booted up but the start button nevr came and all the desktop apps were just small boxes !!

Recovery Steps that i took :

I booted the machine in the safe mode and tried to uninstall the symantec but the windows installer does not run in safe mode !!

tried to follow a tutorial on the web to create a registry entry :
To create a Registry entry, open command prompt ( Run->Cmd). Type the following command in the Window-
REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer/VE/TREG_SZ/F/D %Service%

then "net start msiserver" to start the windows installer to install/uninstall app in safe mode ...

unfortunately it din workout i still get error 1084 “the service cannot be started in the safe mode”.

What should i do now how do fix the issue !!

how do get the laptop working in normal mode !!!

I am not in favour of re-installing the OS ... it may be the obviuos thing to do ..
i wish to take the pain and try to fix the issue and learn in the process ...

kindly please help ...

regards,
som

STEP 1: Install another copy of Windows in different partition with enough space (WITHOUT FORMATTING) and then boot from that partition. Then Backup all the important files to another computer using USB drive or a LAN cable.

STEP 2: Format the laptop using original format/windows that came with the laptop. Install all necessary drivers and software and copy files from other computer to laptop.

STEP 3: Install AVG or ESET Nod 32 Antivirus

STEP 4: Return Lappy to your Dad.

Hey thanks for the reply but at present re-installing the windows is somewhat not so much an option :( .. lets see if i get some help and figure out something ...

Use a BART PE CD from the net, boot up a windows xp from this cd, and try to use this to tinker around maybe. I feel ur reg is corrupted. So, if you can also try to use "system restore" to get back a good config, you can be back running.

Also, at windows boot, press F8, and if you see a last known good config option, use it.

Last, you can use bart pe to take ur data out to usb drives, and then go ahead and reinstall windows.

Back