PC Peripherals Major problems with PSU

PrK

Disciple
Jan 25, 2010
So i got a new FSP PSU... what happened now is that my bloody ups which was by mistake plugged into an outlet which is supplied by the home ups, started supplying well over 300volts (~340v :() to the computer during a long power cut.

Apparently its voltage stabilizer screwed up with the stepped wave output of the home ups. This naturally took out my psu which now does not give the power good signal to the motherboard, and what happens on switching it on happens to be just like if there was no processor installed since it does not switch on without the power good signal (same symptoms as when a processor gets fried, fans spinning at top speed, no power on light, hdd spinning, no POST).

I got the psu just a week back. Its in warranty but the major problem now is that the warranty void sticker that was on the extreme rear on the side got scratched off by half partly exposing the screw underneath it, due to the psu holder clips on the case :O. Now what should i do?? Am i screwed??

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Is the sticker completely tampered in a way that exposes the screw beneath? You could try explaining the situation to the dealer and he might oblige assuming that the internal components don't show any signs of damage like burns/melting!

BTW how is it that the home UPS supplying over 300~340V to the outlet? Isn't it faulty in the first place?

Aug 11, 2009
Austin,TX
I guess you should have spent a lot of money on your PSU. Always use a good UPS for your computer than a cheap brand.

Try explaining to the dealer. I guess he should replace it given the fact that all the internal components are not burnt or melt

PrK

Disciple
Jan 25, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. the guys replaced it with a new one. had to go to the service centre and what was surprising was that the psu was working perfectly with one of their own systems without the power good signal; it was a gigabyte model dunno the exact number..n the guy started explainin which wire goes where n what not pissing me off...

i had to phone the distributor twice to get them working then and there on the psu.. n then they were even unwilling to check the voltages, nearly had to threaten them to check it all up... the guy got a great surprise on that gray power good wire. lol...

about the high voltage by the ups, i think its some kind of a conflict with regulating the stepped wave output of the home ups. the voltages are within range when the ups is plugged to the mains supply directly which i have done now..