Make Moto flagships good again? Motorola announces X30 Pro with 200MP camera and S30 Pro.

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled

X30 Pro comes in black and white colors and starts at CNY 3,699 ($548 ~₹43.6k) for the 8/128GB trim and goes up to CNY 4,499 ($668 ~53k) for the 12/512GB model.

S30 pricing starts at CNY 1,999 ($326 ~₹25.9k) for the entry-level 8/128GB model and goes up to CNY 2,899 ($430 ~₹34k) for the top-end 12/512GB trim.

Motorola X30 Pro

Motorola X30 Pro is the first phone on the market with a 200MP camera. It packs Samsung’s ISOCELL HP1 - a 1/1.22″ sensor with f/1.95 aperture, OIS and 16-in-1 pixel binning.

gsmarena_002.jpggsmarena_001.jpg

The second camera sensor on the back is a 50MP ultrawide module while the third cutout is reserved for the 12MP Sony IMX663 telephoto which offers 2x optical zoom. There’s a 60MP selfie cam housed in a punch hole cutout on the screen which uses Omnivision’s OV60a sensor.

Motorola X30 Pro brings a curved 6.67-inch OLED with FHD+ resolution and a 144Hz refresh rate. The panel can crank out up to 1,200 nits of peak brightness, it’s also HDR10+ rated and has an integrated fingerprint scanner.

As with all recent Android flagships, Moto X30 Pro is equipped with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chipset alongside 8/12GB RAM and 128/256 or 512GB storage. The software side is covered by Android 12 with MyUI 4.0 no top.

X30 Pro gets a 4,610 mAh battery with support for 125W wired fast charging (0-100% in 19 minutes) and 50W wireless fast charging via an optional Motorola wireless charger.

Motorola X30 Pro comes in black and white colors and starts at CNY 3,699 ($548) for the 8/128GB trim and goes up to CNY 4,499 ($668) for the 12/512GB model. Open sales in China start today.

Motorola S30 Pro

Motorola S30 Pro is a Snapdragon 888+ equipped phone with a curved 6.55” OLED and 144Hz refresh rate. The device carries a 50MP main cam (Omnivision OV50A) with OIS, a 13MP ultrawide module and a 2MP depth sensor. There’s a 32MP selfie shooter housed inside a punch hold cutout on the front.

gsmarena_008.jpggsmarena_009.jpg

S30 Pro boots Android 12 with MyUI 4.0 on top and carries a 4,400 mAh battery with 68W fast charging support. The phone is available in black and blue colors the latter of which features a faux leather finish.

Pricing starts at CNY 1,999 ($326) for the entry-level 8/128GB model and goes up to CNY 2,899 ($430) for the top-end 12/512GB trim. Open sales in China start today.

Last edited:
Personally, I've stopped caring about high end hardware when it comes to phones. They don't matter if the software optimisation is not proper.

Iphone 13 pro max has only 4310mah battery yet it offers around 10 hours sot @ 120hz. Iphone 13 with 3227mah battery outperforms any android flagship in terms of sot. My current android barely offered 6 hours with 4300mah capacity during it's peak.

Last edited:
Megapixel madness aside, if they change their stance on software updates, I would consider them.
Always confounded by how Lenovo ran Motorola into the ground. It is as if it was purchased only for the brand name and it is the Lenovo mobile division from before the purchase calling the shots.

Also amusing that phones from all Chinese manufacturers are simply sold on specs, not on the quality of implementation or software.

For others:

Moto devices do provide a pretty good experience. The only major thing it lacks is regular updates, especially OS updates. With majority of their updates coming from Play Store and security patches being pushed in 2-3 months, I don't see it as much of an issue. Pretty happy with the near stock experience.

I still don't understand what makes oems to opt for a non practical curved display designs in 2022!
Curved display look's stunning although not practical. It's often used in "Ultra" and "Pro" phones as a marketing feature to justify those prices. I mean look at the S22 Ultra, it looks gorgeous.

Always confounded by how Lenovo ran Motorola into the ground. It is as if it was purchased only for the brand name and it is the Lenovo mobile division from before the purchase calling the shots.

Also amusing that phones from all Chinese manufacturers are simply sold on specs, not on the quality of implementation or software.

For others:
Lenovo did destroyed the Moto brand but you also need to know that Google also wasn't profitable with Moto, that was the reason why they sold it in the first place. The Moto brand had/has a good value because of the near stock Android which no other Chinese brands offers. Xiaomi did offer us some with the Android One programme but that was about it. Nokia also did it but their prices are unjustified. Which leaves only Moto. Take away the near stock Android and bloatware free phone and you get just another crappy Chinese phone. Also I personally don't care about updates save for security and bug patches.
I still don't understand what makes oems to opt for a non practical curved display designs in 2022!
I forgot to add something. I hate curved displays. Using curved display phones with a back cover can really a pain in the a.r.s.e sometimes.
Personally, I've stopped caring about high end hardware when it comes to phones. They don't matter if the software optimisation is not proper.

Iphone 13 pro max has only 4310mah battery yet it offers around 10 hours sot @ 120hz. Iphone 13 with 3227mah battery outperforms any android flagship in terms of sot. My current android barely offered 6 hours with 4300mah capacity during it's peak.
Aye that's the very impressive thing about the 13 series and why I want a 13 Pro Max if i could actually afford one. :/ Because Android phones has shitty battery life in general, the manufacturers have to come up with another means to temporarily fix that problem: give super fast charging!

What are you using to calculate sot on the iPhone?

I don't buy twice as good 'sot' on iPhones :D Standby has generally been good on phones and that has a bearing on sot. Don't expect that with face ID though.

A 0.5%/h standby on android is possible without much tweaking if you're careful.

6h sot is considered good with any phone. 8h would be exceptional which you won't get unless it's a mid-ranger with a larger battery.

5h decent and 4h average.
Motorola X30 Pro

Motorola X30 Pro is the first phone on the market with a 200MP camera. It packs Samsung’s ISOCELL HP1 - a 1/1.22″ sensor with f/1.95 aperture, OIS and 16-in-1 pixel binning.
Why only F1.95 in 2022? My V20 from 2016 had F1.8 the LG's after that were F 1.6 and some Chinese phones go as low (or is that large) as F 1.4

The second camera sensor on the back is a 50MP ultrawide module while the third cutout is reserved for the 12MP Sony IMX663 telephoto which offers 2x optical zoom. There’s a 60MP selfie cam housed in a punch hole cutout on the screen which uses Omnivision’s OV60a sensor.
What important parameter is missing there for both these cameras? Aperture. You need a large enough aperture if you expect to get anything usable in middling to low light.

Considering the main camera does not have a large aperture I'm not very confident the apertures on these secondary cameras are going to be that impressive.

They've decided they will fix it with software. Let's see what that is like.

View attachment 142735View attachment 142736

Motorola X30 Pro brings a curved 6.67-inch OLED with FHD+ resolution and a 144Hz refresh rate. The panel can crank out up to 1,200 nits of peak brightness, it’s also HDR10+ rated and has an integrated fingerprint scanner.
So this is like the S6Edge. Curved screens are a pain to deal with if you use screen protectors. Needs a good case to protect the screen read heavy.

No mention of whether the FPS is ultrasonic or not.
As with all recent Android flagships, Moto X30 Pro is equipped with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chipset alongside 8/12GB RAM and 128/256 or 512GB storage. The software side is covered by Android 12 with MyUI 4.0 no top.
Moto's claim to fame has always been their software and stock-like experience.
Pricing starts at CNY 1,999 ($326) for the entry-level 8/128GB model and goes up to CNY 2,899 ($430) for the top-end 12/512GB trim. Open sales in China start today.
For a Chinese company, I don't recall Moto coming under the ED's scanner. So they're in the clear.

Last edited:

I don't buy twice as good 'sot' on iPhones :D Standby has generally been good on phones and that has a bearing on sot. Don't expect that with face ID though

Galaxy s22 ultra with 5000mah battery: 8 hours 8 mins
Iphone 13 pro max with 4300 mah: 10 hours 27 mins

Samsung isn't even close. They are not going to be even in future.
Edit: *because of samsung affiliation with exynos. It has been downright shit since I remember

I don't buy twice as good 'sot' on iPhones :D Standby has generally been good on phones and that has a bearing on sot. Don't expect that with face ID though.
From last few years, iPhones have had 1 or 2 generation better lithography of processors compared to qualcomm. If Qualcomm is on 7nm, apple is printing their stuff on 5nm. Today, it's unfair to compare iPhones with android. iPhones have been better in performance as well as battery life.

Secondly, androids run apps in sandbox mode which is actually good but it costs in performance and battery life. In sandboxing, the code of the app has to be translated a few times before it can run on the metal. On iPhones, app usually runs natively (like windows). Given the option, I will choose sandbox mode for the security and convenience it offers. Anyway, these things are very trivial and phone processors are so fast these day that you don't have to worry about this stuff.

Arun ? OMG! is this your source :banghead:

I would classify Arun's 'battery test' videos over the last five years as nothing more than entertainment. Recently, considering the way he pushed Nothing's earbuds when they launched I would take anything he says with a large grain of one's favourite white powdery substance. This guy along with MKBHD are nothing more than slick salesmen for the illiterate.

The first flaw in this test is there is no tap tap. It's a synthetic test. You interact with your phone, you go tap tap. The phone does not remain unattended. All that tap tap has a bearing on battery life. I can kill a phone in under 8h with lots of tap tap and still get 6h sot. That is still good sot btw in spite of dying in 8h. However, if it barely got 4h sot in the same run period then it would not be. The only time he is actually going tap tap is during the game. How long was that ? a few minutes at best.

If I run a YT video on my S20FE, without power saving, it averages 14h before the battery dies. In reality, I would be lucky to get 6-7h sot on wifi with it and closer to 4-5 on data because my signal is classified as 'moderate' at best. Which is better than poor but still not 'good' let alone 'great'. My YT test was done at 33% brightness which is what I use indoors. He mentions that the Sammy & Xiaomi allow to lower refresh rates but in my test I found the difference in refresh rates to be no more than 5%. Power saving mode where the CPU is limited to 70% max resulted in larger gains. I don't think any of these reviewers have ever done a test between refresh rates. That the Xiaomi dies second with even more refresh rate tweaking supports my findings.

The brightness on these phones isn't normalised. I see him fiddling with the brightness slider setting it at close to 90%. Do the Sammy's go brighter at that level than the iPhone? Don't know. He says they have been 'calibrated for brightness' but he's just eyeballing brightness not measuring nits. Each company could be using a different scale for brightness.

He had to include that 4k render which the iPhone was more economical with but this gives it a decisive lead over the others. How often do you do a render like that on your phone? Is including such a test representative of what you can expect? NO, it is not.

What difference would it make to the final result without that render? We won't know because Arun has to keep Apple happy.

I wish he monitored and displayed the battery temperature during these tests instead of speculating about thermals of one over another. That is an oversight.

He did concur with what i said earlier about how long sot you get with how good.

Galaxy s22 ultra with 5000mah battery: 8 hours 8 mins
Iphone 13 pro max with 4300 mah: 10 hours 27 mins
How much of an edge is that? 25% It is interesting that the pixel with the largest battery died the first. There are ways to tweak the pixel pro to improve that I guess.

It's not meaningful. Even though it looks like should be for the reasons mentioned.

When you said you barely got 6h sot when your phone was at its best THAT is representative.

You cannot compare your 6h sot to the 10h30 this synthetic test gets. His tests are NOT and have never been representative at all which is why I consider them nothing more than entertainment.

If you were to use the iP13proM you might get 7h+ or similar since iPhones lose more battery with calls. Assuming the iPhone has a way to measure sot. Until recently it did not and it is not clear whether what they have now is the same.

You do make calls on your phone yes? Did Arun do a call test? no

What is the standby drain on your phone? if you left your phone unattended for a minimum of 6-8h without touching how much % does it lose?

How old is your phone?

Samsung isn't even close. They are not going to be even in future.
Edit: *because of samsung affiliation with exynos. It has been downright shit since I remember
This is a never-ending drama with Samsung. Some years the Exynos is better than the SD and vice versa. In reality, the difference is much less than it's made out to be.

I have never heard of anyone returning or selling their phone early because it came with an Exynos.

There was one guy I used to follow for battery tests because this guy started out on YT to show the world the way it should be done. He spends as much time doing a battery review for one phone as Arun has spent on five. His tests are representative to the point I could trust them and know what is normal sot for whatever phone he tested without even owning the phone. He's not very active these days, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Arun ? OMG! is this your source :banghead:

I would classify Arun's 'battery test' videos over the last five years as nothing more than entertainment. Recently, considering the way he pushed Nothing's earbuds when they launched I would take anything he says with a large grain of one's favourite white powdery substance. This guy along with MKBHD are nothing more than slick salesmen for the illiterate.
That' cool. Show me any source where Galaxy S22 even comes close to Iphone 13 pro max in terms of battery backup. Again, keep in mind that Iphone battery capacity is less and yet it's far more efficient. Surely internet might have at least one genuine review for literate people
I have never heard of anyone returning or selling their phone early because it came with an Exynos.
Allow me to introduce myself. Owner of Galaxy S9+. I wouldn't wish that phone on my worst enemy. Got rid of it as soon as I could (which was more than a year)
How much of an edge is that? 25% It is interesting that the pixel with the largest battery died the first. There are ways to tweak the pixel pro to improve that I guess.
28% WITHOUT considering that iphone battery capacity is 700Mah less.
Aye that's the very impressive thing about the 13 series and why I want a 13 Pro Max if i could actually afford one. :/ Because Android phones has shitty battery life in general, the manufacturers have to come up with another means to temporarily fix that problem: give super fast charging!
That's actually a fair point. I never thought about it that way. Lol. Personally, I prefer if I don't have to charge my phone that often though.

That' cool. Show me any source where Galaxy S22 even comes close to Iphone 13 pro max in terms of battery backup. Again, keep in mind that Iphone battery capacity is less and yet it's far more efficient. Surely internet might have at least one genuine review for literate people
When someone does a real-world test you will know. See, that takes time which reviewers don't want to spend.

And that's the thing with battery. Lots of time and effort to get data you can rely on.
28% WITHOUT considering that iphone battery capacity is 700Mah less.
28% with a 4k video. How much without ? eh

How often do you shoot 4k videos? I will take 100 photos before I do a video.

Allow me to introduce myself. Owner of Galaxy S9+. I wouldn't wish that phone on my worst enemy. Got rid of it as soon as I could (which was more than a year)
Midrangers with lower end CPU's and disproportionately large batteries will wipe the floor with any flagship each time and every time.

Redmi Note 3 & Lenovo P2 are good examples from years gone by.

If you want a better battery get the latest equivalent for your next phone.

Last edited:
When someone does a real-world test you will know. See, that takes time which reviewers don't want to spend.
So, not a single source. Okay
28% with a 4k video. How much without ? eh
28% with all sorts of stuff not just 4k rendering. Again with 700mah less battery. if it gives an advantage to iphone, well then it's not iphones fault :D
Midrangers will lower end CPU's and disproportionately large batteries will wipe the floor with any flagship each time and every time.

If you want a better battery get that for your next phone.
Cool. But now you know there are people who have suffered because of exynos.

EDIT: My opinion may seem to insinuate that I'm an Apple fanboy. Honestly, I'm not. I've never owned any apple product, though I've bought one for my brother. Even today, I wanted to buy a phone for my wife who's using a Vivo(chinese) phone because of which she can't access work stuff. My first choice was S21FE but found that in India it only comes with Exynos processor. Going above that I don't know if Samsung makes sense. I'll probably go for S20FE or used Iphone 12

Last edited:
So, not a single source. Okay
A single source is acceptable if it's a real-world test. Reviewers who do that are rarest of the rare. On the user boards, you will find people doing this but there are so many who post its hard to get a feel for what is normal since they don't follow common testing conditions. The guy I linked tests his phones under similar conditions.
28% with all sorts of stuff not just 4k rendering. Again with 700mah less battery. if it gives an advantage to iphone, well then it's not iphones fault :D

Cool. But now you know there are people who have suffered because of exynos.
6h SOT is suffering for you ? My V20 averages 5h and my G4 before that rarely got to 5h

If I were to estimate the iP13 promax sot I think 7-8h sot would be possible. Even more with a good signal.

Comparing with S21/S22U, with a good phone signal, i'd give the iPhone a 1h advantage with SOT or 10% with a smaller battery.

But if the phone signal is average then no difference.
EDIT: My opinion may seem to insinuate that I'm an Apple fanboy. Honestly, I'm not. I've never owned any apple product, though I've bought one for my brother. Even today, I wanted to buy a phone for my wife who's using a Vivo(chinese) phone because of which she can't access work stuff. My first choice was S21FE but found that in India it only comes with Exynos processor. Going above that I don't know if Samsung makes sense. I'll probably go for S20FE or used Iphone 12
The difficulty with sot on iOs is they introduced this term 'Usage' which isn't a true representation of SOT. It goes up even when the screen is off.

To be frank, SOT is an android thing. Apple and windows to this day have no such concept.

Junaid did test the iPhone X. Usage is 8h51 which he estimates to be 6h-6h30. I'd trust him on that. Man, how I wish this guy was still at it. He's the best in the world on this topic. When i started watching his videos, they were like college lectures. After watching ten of them i got what he was doing.

He tested the S9 as well but not S9+

In any case going by his latest comments on the S22, he says to avoid the Exynos variant.

And I wouldn't get the iPhone 12 either as the 13 has better battery life.

Last edited:
I read a report that Samsung said they will not use their own chips on their flagships.
Why only F1.95 in 2022? My V20 from 2016 had F1.8 the LG's after that were F 1.6 and some Chinese phones go as low (or is that large) as F 1.4
Why are you asking me lol. Only god knows lol.
How often do you shoot 4k videos? I will take 100 photos before I do a video.
Who even shoots 4k videos lol.

Last edited:
Back