Video Make split AC water cooled

Hi All

If the outdoor unit of split ac is put on the floor then we can do the following to make the AC more efficient.
Put a 5 inch deep water tray below the outdoor unit of split ac and give it water connection with float valve. Now put a small water pump which we use in domestic air cooler and give it parallel supply from compressor so that when compressor starts water pump also start and water flows from this pump. The output pipe of this pump to be put on the coil of the outdoor unit.

Now AC will take less ampere and will be more efficient even in very temperature.

Comments and critics welcomed

^^
Tap water is corrosive to Aluminum fins. Rest assured that the coil will get damaged soon due hard tap water and scale deposits.

Risk of water damage to high electricity device, apart from obvious mechanical damage. Also, cost of running a water pump with the a/c should be added right?

I think it's easier, more eco-friendly and cheaper to just provide your external unit some shade.. e.g. a bamboo thatch roof with a layer of clay pots.

These days most of ACs come with rotary compressor which is not very efficient when it is very hot and humid. Last year I changed my 1.5 ton assembled Azure split AC with reciprocatory compressor and installed 4 star 1.5 ton samsung AC which has rotary compressor. But when it was too hot I found it was less effective than my assembled AC. My out door unit is kept on floor outside my room. I put water outlet pipe of indoor unit over the coil of outdoor unit. I had no problem with this and I think AC worked better(but not like my assembled AC)

I remember around 20 years back when my father bought first window AC it came with a small water tank which was put over the AC and from the small tap water drops were allowed to go over the outer coil. We used to fill this tank daily in morning. From this I got the idea if somehow water can be put on the outer coil of AC it would make it more efficient.

Must've been a cooler m8, have not come across any water cooled a/c for home use...

Water Cooled Evaporative Air Conditioning

A small water pump continually sprays water over the condenser coil, which cools the coil primarily via conduction from the copper coil to the water, sprayed on the coil. The coil is solid copper; approximately three times the thickness (i.e. 0.032" vs. 0.012") of that used in air-cooled condensers, and the copper is coated to prevent corrosion. Magnesium anodes are included to treat the water and reduce coil corrosion.

Water removes heat from the condenser coils far more efficiently than air. The heat transfer and evaporative process is increased via a fan on top of the condenser.

The primary benefit of an evaporative water cooled condenser unit is a 25 to 40 percent reduction of overall power consumption relative to a SEER 10, and a 40 to 50 percent reduction in peak power consumption (i.e. temperatures exceeding 95° F) relative to a SEER 10, according to the manufacturer.

Back