Make Windows XP as fast as Longhorn !!!

dipdude

Skilled
try it at your own risk :)

source : http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24749
The only reason why its faster is they added a superfetch feature to the prefetcher. If you look at the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\Prefetcher you will notice in windows xp EnablePrefetcher = 3 and you will notice in windows longhorn EnableSuperfetch = 1 Well, guess what? You can put the EnableSuperfetch = 1 in windows xp and get the same speed. Wow, Microsoft just added a feature that was already there in xp. snakeye

QuickFire said:
no such key in my registry editor :S
i think u r supposed to create a new dword value called EnableSuperfetch and set it to 1 ...

i dont use prefech so cant really vouch if it works or not :)

you can also try knocking off all the entries in your windows/prefetch folder. I find prefetching quite silly because useless applications that I only run once in a while are prefetched when the OS loads.

Wow ! I dont have the guts to edit my registry and yeah my XP is fast enough :p

BTW, waiting for Ferrar!'s comments on this !

Hmmm... Ill try it when I get back home .. But from what I got from here I gather it can slow boot performance .. The WinXP default setting sets it to prefetch both App launch and boot prefetch .. So dont think it will improve that much ...

Anyways .. here is a great article on prefatching ..

yes this tweak worked on my XP SP2 with 512MB RAM. I did notice a quick boot after changing the "EnablePrefetcher = 3" to "EnablePrefetcher = 1"

The Win XP bootscreen goes off in 2 secs and I get the Win 2000 style Login dialog quickly

Regards.

It said EnableSuperfetch=1, you did something else?
Also, when u changed it to 1, aren't u switching off boot prefetch? So how come it goes faster? Something is screwed up in MS's product here.
Holy cow! I changed it to 1 and my comp is finally behaving like an A64!! Wooo!! It started up in 2 slides of that blue bar, normally takes several hundred!

i checked out my registry and found that "enable prefetcher" is already at 1 :O
Dont remember when i did that.
Do i need to add a new DWORD "enable superfetch" to see the difference?

my windows still takes some time to load:(

Back