OC & Modding Making own Water Cooling kit

amit_talkin

Disciple
I m going to work on a water cooling project. making my own wc kit! I dont know I will succeed in this but I am trying my best to find out parts.

Parts I found.

1. 18w submersible pump ( very small in size, can circulate water up to 5 feet height ).

2. engine radiator ( found a radiator maker locally here, they can make any size radiators ).

3. 3x3x1 inch copper block ( give me some suggestion on this, how to make pole inside it ? or should get 2 copper plates/blocks and joint them? ).

4. tubes...

submersible pump works INSIDE water so it will be kept in reservoir.

here is the link for the pump

http://www.tullu.com/pump02_submersible.htm

give me some suggestions on parts .

Amit

Well I'll be damned. I was thinking the exact same thing. Infact I had decided on the Tullu submersibles too.

I believe the 18W Tullu is not good enough unless you would only use a single loop and 3/8" ID tubes.

For adequate flow, i'd recommend the THS-3000 which has a flow of 1200lph/300gph and gives the MCP655 a run for its money.

Here's what I have in mind:

20090606064016.png

^^
A submersible system doesnt need a T-joint.

Try using a automobile heatercore rather than a radiator. Much easier and smaller to work with. More efficient than a radiator too.

18W pump is probably sufficient, but with the huge losses in a submersible system, I would try a higher wattage pump too. I remember using a 40W submersible for my loop.

Try and get hold of a inline pump, they are way more efficient at delivering power, because they avoid losses in the reservoir.

thanks for your replies guys,happy to see you guys are interested in helping me out. I have PMed Rakesh regarding this.

@Free Radical,

have u also started working on ur project? I agree with ur suggestion on pump, I will get THS-3000. Now problem is that I dont have aqarium ( no space near my PC to keep it around ) and last one is CPU water block! how to make the block? and how much thick that CPU contact layer of the block I should keep or it doesnt matter for water cooling?

@Raghunandan, thnx for ur suggestions. which kinda inline pump and heatercore you talking about? any link to the site showing these 2? so I can easily get them from market.

Raghunandan said:
^^

A submersible system doesnt need a T-joint.

Try using a automobile heatercore rather than a radiator. Much easier and smaller to work with. More efficient than a radiator too.

18W pump is probably sufficient, but with the huge losses in a submersible system, I would try a higher wattage pump too. I remember using a 40W submersible for my loop.

Try and get hold of a inline pump, they are way more efficient at delivering power, because they avoid losses in the reservoir.

T-line is only for bleeding (I know overkill as the reservoir can be bled) or for adding another loop.

Wouldn't inline pumps produce additional heat in a case? I am contemplating a fanless(except on the rad) / caseless rig with the pump neatly tucked away in the res.

The heater core idea has been duly noted. i got that suggestion from others too :)

Thanks Raghu.I know you are speaking from experience. How much would a heater core cost. Also, do advice on the make/fan for the heater core.

Very good startup list for your W/C setup

Pump is sufficent for single loop. (you need to make a relay switch to ON/OFF pump with PC)

For Radiator Use Heatcore from any Car AC... You can easly fit 120mm X2 fans on heatcore.

For CPU Block... USe two 5mm thick copper plates. Make 4mm deep water channel on one block using a Milling machine or Lath Machine.(Can get help from any Machining shop). Drill two holes for inlet and outlet on second block and solder both blocks together....That's it...

For tubing use 1/2" high pressure and high gauge tube from local hardware shop.

Use tube tighteners to fix tubes with rad and block.

You can make a acrylic Reservoir like below with pump inside...

88404675.jpg

11751371.jpg

This can help you to kick start your W/C kit..

If copper block is difficult for you to make channels,
then you can start with a Acrylic block using old Mobo chip heatsink, like this
blockno6.jpg

This was my first block...and still running in my friends PC..I made him a W/C kit.

hey rakesh... you using pvc tubing or garden hose? also, are those hose clamps that you are using locally available?

what do I say to a hardware guy in vernacular terms.

nice water block. I'll try getting it done at some machining shop.

an approximate price breakup for each component will be very appreciated :)

I have that thread archived with me. Was waiting for your cocky reply :p

i guess I did mention it in Rakesh's thread.

who can forget ur hilarious chat session with Masky :D

now please suggest some cheap dc pump :)

I think garden hose would be too stiff to bend enough and will have a tendency to straighten up. PVC would be more pliable. Also those hose clamps can be found in hardware stores easily. But if u see the DIY linked previously, there is a much better, though slightly tougher way to get watertight seals.

i.e. small pvc tube piece on the pipe, then a larger pvc tubing piece slipped over it.

Back