Managing ernormous personal Photos/Videos and automating on PC/Android/NAS

Reading through the thread it appears you have decided your setup, but if you are willing to have a look at other options I would highly recommend you take a look at PicApport, it is a comprehensive photo management setup with server/client architecture, It supports sync/display/tag photos among others. The server is self-hosted and the client can be installed on your mobile devices and clients can be configured to sync only on certain time/ssid/certain folders/albums/etc.
Regarding photo organization, this is highly subjective and just like fingers each have their own opinion. So I will throw in mine and hope it gives you an idea. My setup is as follows
Event/Year/Person - ex -
if it is a solo Vacation/2023/Myself, if it is a family Vacation/2023/Family/Myself, Vacation/2023/Family/Wife, Vacation/2023/Family/Mother/ Vacation/2023/Family/ect
My major top level categories are, Trips(business), Vacation, Personal(shared by myself and wife only), Functions(At_Home, At_Outside), RollingSnaps(Pictures that we take everyday of things like flowers, random objects, etc), Family(Myself,wife,etc)
The photos gets sync into Top-level Family category and from there they are moved into other categories or left there itself if not necessary.

Hope this helps :)

Recently revisited this topic and found Immich to have grown and developed immensely. To me, it feels better than Google photos now. Sync is superfast, setup is nice, native mobile apps are robust enough.

What I really really liked is immich-go. I synced around 300GB of photos and videos into its library (albeit on local network) in around 90 mins or so. It also supports extracting all of your google photos library takeout (the zip files - all of them without unpacking) using one command which was pretty impressive for me. immich-go rocks!

Recently revisited this topic and found Immich to have grown and developed immensely. To me, it feels better than Google photos now. Sync is superfast, setup is nice, native mobile apps are robust enough.

What I really really liked is immich-go. I synced around 300GB of photos and videos into its library (albeit on local network) in around 90 mins or so. It also supports extracting all of your google photos library takeout (the zip files - all of them without unpacking) using one command which was pretty impressive for me. immich-go rocks!
So, is your experience with immich is very good now?
Wanted to know if people have tried other apps from https://meichthys.github.io/foss_photo_libraries/ and how will they rate it.
Thinking of trying something locally.

What would be best private cloud software for synology? I recently bought DS420J, haven't tried Synology's own Photos app yet.

Their own Photos app is pretty good. I haven't felt the need of getting any other app/third party software after using Synology Photos. Been using it for over 1.5 years.

So, is your experience with immich is very good now?
Wanted to know if people have tried other apps from https://meichthys.github.io/foss_photo_libraries/ and how will they rate it.
Thinking of trying something locally.
Tried photoprism for a year. No native apps. No multi-user/multi-library support so had to create multiple instances for each library. Sharing? What is it? Either make it all public or create another instance! Plus, library rescan have to be cron jobs or manuals, or let photoprism import from your syncthing folder and create another copy. (so double storage use if you want to keep original as-is - needed with syncthing or you have to set up syncthing in a way that phone only 'sends' not 'syncs' to it).
It was good enough for myself, but now need to find another alternative for all family members, as I am finally able to convince them to move from app/service-that-can-not-be-named.

Nextcloud Photos and Memories: You have to upload everything via Nextcloud. Nextcloud phone sync was hit and miss for me, especially large videos (1+GB). You have to configure the php upload limit and whatnot. There is an option to add external storage (SMB share/mapping volume) which I used along with syncthing. But the library does not get scanned automatically on such uploads, you have to use cron jobs.

Did not get to try the synology options as they are platform-specific.

Trying out Immich now.

Tried photoprism for a year. No native apps. No multi-user/multi-library support so had to create multiple instances for each library. Sharing? What is it? Either make it all public or create another instance! Plus, library rescan have to be cron jobs or manuals, or let photoprism import from your syncthing folder and create another copy. (so double storage use if you want to keep original as-is - needed with syncthing or you have to set up syncthing in a way that phone only 'sends' not 'syncs' to it).
It was good enough for myself, but now need to find another alternative for all family members, as I am finally able to convince them to move from app/service-that-can-not-be-named.

Nextcloud Photos and Memories: You have to upload everything via Nextcloud. Nextcloud phone sync was hit and miss for me, especially large videos (1+GB). You have to configure the php upload limit and whatnot. There is an option to add external storage (SMB share/mapping volume) which I used along with syncthing. But the library does not get scanned automatically on such uploads, you have to use cron jobs.

Did not get to try the synology options as they are platform-specific.

Trying out Immich now.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Have had a similar experience with nextcloud. Will like to see how your immich experience is in following months.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Have had a similar experience with nextcloud. Will like to see how your immich experience is in following months.
All jobs finished (creating thumbnails, faces, tags, folders etc) overnight. CPU was at 100% for quite a while. But I would say pretty smooth. Some 50GB photos were on my phone which were already backed up, surprised to see all of them sync without duplicates (The app showed 'synced' instead of 'on cloud' and no duplicates!). I am very much satisfied.

Back