Market Section - Product Pricing n Discussions [NO Price checks]

Guys, I would like an input as to whether I have priced everything reasonably in my listing. Please do take a look at it and let me know. (Hopefully this is the right forum for it)

The prices are on the higher side considering it's a last-gen platform. DDR4 platforms just aren't holding up resale value as DDR3 ones did.

You could take as a general rule to remove ~30% of current new pricing for each year of ownership regardless of how much warranty is remaining.

Power supplies, liquid coolers and cases do not hold onto their value at all, maybe because they have moving parts or maybe because they accumulate dust/allergens/dead skin cells over time, it's just how it's always been. Cases are the most difficult things to sell (maybe everyone wants something new to peel), so they're often priced at half price or less.

For motherboard pricing, like in your case where it's discontinued, start with the lowest priced model with the same form factor, chipset and VRM cooling and subtract the depreciation from that amount. Because it's last-gen, a potential buyer wouldn't be looking at value-add features or bundled items — they would be looking for something priced significantly lower than buying new.

This is speaking from experience — I had an insanely expensive Z390 Aorus Xtreme (42k) which I never got to use. I ended up selling it to a forum member at almost half price. When a new model is released, no one is going to pay a premium for top end features just because it's already last-gen.

The same applies to hardware replaced by RMA, though the depreciation is much better. Still the question would be, would I (you) want to save 2500 by buying a AIO with three years of warranty instead of five?

Of course there are exceptions, if you have something rare then people might want to pay whatever price you'd ask, I'm one of those kind of people and there are others.

The prices are on the higher side considering it's a last-gen platform. DDR4 platforms just aren't holding up resale value as DDR3 ones did.

You could take as a general rule to remove ~30% of current new pricing for each year of ownership regardless of how much warranty is remaining.

Power supplies, liquid coolers and cases do not hold onto their value at all, maybe because they have moving parts or maybe because they accumulate dust/allergens/dead skin cells over time, it's just how it's always been. Cases are the most difficult things to sell (maybe everyone wants something new to peel), so they're often priced at half price or less.

For motherboard pricing, like in your case where it's discontinued, start with the lowest priced model with the same form factor, chipset and VRM cooling and subtract the depreciation from that amount. Because it's last-gen, a potential buyer wouldn't be looking at value-add features or bundled items — they would be looking for something priced significantly lower than buying new.

This is speaking from experience — I had an insanely expensive Z390 Aorus Xtreme (42k) which I never got to use. I ended up selling it to a forum member at almost half price. When a new model is released, no one is going to pay a premium for top end features just because it's already last-gen.

The same applies to hardware replaced by RMA, though the depreciation is much better. Still the question would be, would I (you) want to save 2500 by buying a AIO with three years of warranty instead of five?

Of course there are exceptions, if you have something rare then people might want to pay whatever price you'd ask, I'm one of those kind of people and there are others.
Honestly this whole message can be a pinned thread just so people (who haven't sold their used goods before) can take a look at this before posting classifieds. Thank you for taking the time to come up with this.

Well the whole reason I am selling all my stuff is because I'm moving abroad and I won't be able to carry my current (extremely heavy and HUGE) PC. I was thinking about downsizing it to an ITX build just so I can carry it on the plane. But to downsize I need to change my motherboard, cooler and power supply. x570 itx boards are so rare, even if you find one you end up paying like 20k+. I was thinking NZXT H1 V2 just because it comes as a whole package. But now I've been thinking, I'll have to spend a lot more because the stuff I want to sell isn't going for the price I expected. I might end up carrying just the parts and get a SSUPD Meshroom S, in which an ATX board fits. I just have to change the power supply.

I guess now my option is to just wrap all my computer parts in clothes and stuff it in a suitcase.

I think we can put this as a neon display on every FS.
Given that computers and electronics depreciate @40% annually this can be a nice starting point.

I think we can put this as a neon display on every FS.
Given that computers and electronics depreciate @40% annually this can be a nice starting point.
For normally available items yes; but try to factor this for hard to obtain items or for a scenario where such items are not even available like a GPU couple of years back.

For normally available items yes; but try to factor this for hard to obtain items or for a scenario where such items are not even available like a GPU couple of years back.
In my listing I have posted an Aorus X570 elite. Won't that be considered somewhat rare given there aren't many x570 boards in that budget in stock? For those who are interested in building a PC with a budget, they can get a 5th gen processor, which is pretty affordable (5800x goes for 20k) and pair it with this board, won't it be solid? (This is just an example I will be removing them from the listing because I have changed my mind)

Won't that be considered somewhat rare given there aren't many x570 boards in that budget in stock?
I suppose the consideration would be the availability of such items in the used market. It is a question of supply vs demand and if anyone is looking to exploit that.

Precisely, and this is not even considering the performance uplift the new platform offers:
  • AM4 is a dead end at this point. Makes no sense to build a brand new system now, when for the same or slightly extra cost, you can build AM5, since DDR5 price has fallen
  • The cheapest AM5 CPU, the 7600 @ 17.2k, outperforms a 5800X (21.7k). In fact it loses only to the multi-core performance of 5950 & 5900. For gaming and general use, the AM5 wins handsdown
  • The only reason to stay on AM4 is the 5800x3D. It is a CPU meant for one thing only: perform well in CPU intensive games. The 3D cache allows it to perform better in simulation type games, beats all Intels. But this CPU is overpriced here @ ~35k
  • But AM4 being at end of life will not have an upgrade path. By spending a little more, you can get AM5, which will let you upgrade for the next 5-10 years. And it has better performance:
  • Gaming performance: 5800X3D > 7600 > 5950X > 5900X
  • Single thread : 7600 > 5950X > 5900X > 5600X > 5800X3D
  • Multi thread : 7900X > 7900 > 5950X > 5900X > 5800X > 5800X3D > 7700 > 7600
Of course the argument could be made for AM4 when it is available as a bundle and offers VFM. Used Mobo + new RAM + new CPU is not at all VFM unless you're specifically going for 5950X, 5900X or 5800x3D, scratch that, the 7900/X is both cheaper and more powerful. And of course new products have warranty that gives you peace of mind for the next few years.

The beauty of the lower end AM5 CPUs is that they can be paired with a lower end mobo and they will still perform competitively to AM4 while saving money. You don't need a top of the line mobo unless you're overclocking heavily for max perfomance.

So when determining an asking price sellers should think about the CURRENT VFM in comparison to new products on the market, not how much they paid X years ago.

Of all the things you can spend money on to get more performance, the mobo gives the least return. You're better off with a better CPU/GPU/RAM

Precisely, and this is not even considering the performance uplift the new platform offers:
  • AM4 is a dead end at this point. Makes no sense to build a brand new system now, when for the same or slightly extra cost, you can build AM5, since DDR5 price has fallen
  • The cheapest AM5 CPU, the 7600 @ 17.2k, outperforms a 5800X (21.7k). In fact it loses only to the multi-core performance of 5950 & 5900. For gaming and general use, the AM5 wins handsdown
  • The only reason to stay on AM4 is the 5800x3D. It is a CPU meant for one thing only: perform well in CPU intensive games. The 3D cache allows it to perform better in simulation type games, beats all Intels. But this CPU is overpriced here @ ~35k
  • But AM4 being at end of life will not have an upgrade path. By spending a little more, you can get AM5, which will let you upgrade for the next 5-10 years. And it has better performance:
  • Gaming performance: 5800X3D > 7600 > 5950X > 5900X
  • Single thread : 7600 > 5950X > 5900X > 5600X > 5800X3D
  • Multi thread : 7900X > 7900 > 5950X > 5900X > 5800X > 5800X3D > 7700 > 7600
Of course the argument could be made for AM4 when it is available as a bundle and offers VFM. Used Mobo + new RAM + new CPU is not at all VFM unless you're specifically going for 5950X, 5900X or 5800x3D, scratch that, the 7900/X is both cheaper and more powerful. And of course new products have warranty that gives you peace of mind for the next few years.

The beauty of the lower end AM5 CPUs is that they can be paired with a lower end mobo and they will still perform competitively to AM4 while saving money. You don't need a top of the line mobo unless you're overclocking heavily for max perfomance.

So when determining an asking price sellers should think about the CURRENT VFM in comparison to new products on the market, not how much they paid X years ago.

Of all the things you can spend money on to get more performance, the mobo gives the least return. You're better off with a better CPU/GPU/RAM
Well said.

So just found out new fire tv stick will.be launched this year so most probably in current sale it will be out.....will be waiting for it and then decide.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 012706.png

Some of these were just "you got P.M"
And one on the "steam deck for sale" was a bump after 7 days.
I guess "Market Section - Product Pricing n Discussions [NO Price checks]" is the right place for this discussion.
Or the same Mod can delete this entry as well. I'm taking a screenshot just in case.
Cheers,

Make a Market FS thread following the guidelines.
Set a price as high as you would like, then link back to your thread here and ask for price suggestions (or wait for the Price Police :D)
As suggested by @Crazy_Eddy , I am posting it here.... :)

Guys please suggest me asking price for this please.

Your product description in "10 out of 10" condition is reassuring.

Firstly, I'd like to remind you that this purchase would mark the transition to a third owner for this system. Given the absence of an invoice and warranty, I believe it's reasonable to request a substantial reduction in the rate. I hope you appreciate that the risks involved with a non-branded product's three-year usage history can be significant.

To elaborate further, here are some concerns I'd like to present for your price reduction,
(i) The Ryzen 7 5800X, while a capable CPU, may not match the power of current-generation CPUs with comparably 8 cores. Moreover, there are reports of overheating issues from various users.
(ii) There have been several reports of users experiencing BIOS issues with the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC motherboard.
(iii) In the unfortunate event of needing a replacement or upgrading the CPU and/or motherboard, the XPG DDR4 Gammix D30 RAM has been reported to face compatibility issues with current-generation motherboards.
(iv) Inno3D RTX 2070 Super Twin GPU, while budget-friendly, is known to suffer from coil whine issues. From a professional-grade stability, reliability, and certified drivers perspective for tasks like 3D modeling, CAD, or video editing, this would be a concern, especially when compared to newer GPUs like the RTX 3070 and RTX 3080.
(v) Corsair RM1000X PSU has been reported by many users about its fan noise issues.
(vi) Some users have reported performance issues with the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro SSD.
(vii) The Corsair Air Carbide 540 case, although popular, has faced criticisms regarding airflow efficiency, potentially causing overheating and a compromise in the lifespan of CPU components.
(viii) Reports suggest that the Gamdias Aeolus M12-1240R ARGB and Corsair H110 radiator fans can be quite noisy, and its decibel issues tend to worsen over time. Given that these components are three years old, they may just have scrap value and require replacement even otherwise.
(ix) Lastly, the entire system being over three years old the main components like the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and GPU could potentially fail soon and may have a limited remaining lifespan.
(x) After three years of usage, SSD may not have an endorsable life left. Even if it's currently functional, it's likely on bonus life and may fail at any moment.

I hope you will truly appreciate that these concerns will affect the asking price, but I believe that an open and honest discussion regarding these factors is essential for mutual interests. Please let me know your thoughts, and I am open to finding a fair and mutually beneficial resolution.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter. I look forward to your response, cooperation.

Best Regards,
Shree Ranga

Firstly, I'd like to remind you that this purchase would mark the transition to a third owner for this system. Given the absence of an invoice and warranty, I believe it's reasonable to request a substantial reduction in the rate. I hope you appreciate that the risks involved with a non-branded product's three-year usage history can be significant.

To elaborate further, here are some concerns I'd like to present for your price reduction,
(i) The Ryzen 7 5800X, while a capable CPU, may not match the power of current-generation CPUs with comparably 8 cores. Moreover, there are reports of overheating issues from various users.
(ii) There have been several reports of users experiencing BIOS issues with the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC motherboard.
(iii) In the unfortunate event of needing a replacement or upgrading the CPU and/or motherboard, the XPG DDR4 Gammix D30 RAM has been reported to face compatibility issues with current-generation motherboards.
(iv) Inno3D RTX 2070 Super Twin GPU, while budget-friendly, is known to suffer from coil whine issues. From a professional-grade stability, reliability, and certified drivers perspective for tasks like 3D modeling, CAD, or video editing, this would be a concern, especially when compared to newer GPUs like the RTX 3070 and RTX 3080.
(v) Corsair RM1000X PSU has been reported by many users about its fan noise issues.
(vi) Some users have reported performance issues with the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro SSD.
(vii) The Corsair Air Carbide 540 case, although popular, has faced criticisms regarding airflow efficiency, potentially causing overheating and a compromise in the lifespan of CPU components.
(viii) Reports suggest that the Gamdias Aeolus M12-1240R ARGB and Corsair H110 radiator fans can be quite noisy, and its decibel issues tend to worsen over time. Given that these components are three years old, they may just have scrap value and require replacement even otherwise.
(ix) Lastly, the entire system being over three years old the main components like the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and GPU could potentially fail soon and may have a limited remaining lifespan.
(x) After three years of usage, SSD may not have an endorsable life left. Even if it's currently functional, it's likely on bonus life and may fail at any moment.

I hope you will truly appreciate that these concerns will affect the asking price, but I believe that an open and honest discussion regarding these factors is essential for mutual interests. Please let me know your thoughts, and I am open to finding a fair and mutually beneficial resolution.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter. I look forward to your response, cooperation.

Best Regards,
Shree Ranga
Which thread did this even get moved from?

Edit: This one I guess. The mention of 5800x confused me, that thread doesn't have a 5800x for sale.

@.shreeranga reports will always suggest some or the other fault with nearly every component ever produced "Various users", "various sources", "various reports".

Last edited:

Best Regards,
Shree Ranga
I'm sorry, but this sounds like the rant of a cheapskate.

"It's been reported"; "Several users have faced" etc.

Please back up these "reports" with substantial links/articles, and not one-off instances on something such as Reddit.

Why are you even interested in the system, since it has so many "faults"?

Some points such as no. 9 are nonsensical - CPUs, GPUs, memory and motherboards are hardy components and last much longer than 3 years. Why would they "potentially fail soon"? Would you have any solid statistics to back that claim up?

Also, link the correct thread that this is aimed at.

Last edited:
Back