Marketing Fraud HOTEL LIFE LUDHIANA

rohitgaur

Disciple
Marketing Fraud HOTEL LIFE LUDHIANA
Welcome to Life A Leisure Hotel Ludhiana

Dear Friends
I have been scammed. for 7000 Rupees, Over the Phone........Yeah , I know this sounds stupid, me being in the finance Industry etc etc....:mad:
I got a call from a Delhi Number, offering some package for Hotel Life Ludhiana ( A 5 Star Property) , where I am a regular visitor. I called up the Hotel on their regular number and the
recpetion confirmed that the package is correct. I gave the credit card details on the phone to the Caller from Delhi and they transacted 6999/- from my card. After 4-5 days
when I did not recieve the said coupons , I called the number from Delhi , there was no repsonse. I called hotel Life ,They said that they would get back to me. Again After 2 days, when I called the
Hotel People again Today, They Gave me the Number of MR Antony , who was quite rude saying that even if the Hotel had confirmed verbally , I had nothing in written and the whole thing is a fraud.
I called up my bank and blocked the card immedieately, but how do I get the money Back....

The Hotel calls can be confirmed that on the day of transaction , I called the Hotel at the same time I had the call from Delhi and I can get the phone records for them

Can Some one Advise and Support

ALSO ALL BEWARE OF SUCH SCAMS.......

How does your transaction show on the statement, I mean in the name of the hotel or a marketing company? Also, can you not ask the CC company to cancel the charge saying that it was a fraud? I know you must have consented to the charge verbally and I presume they must have recorded it but still can give it a try.

You actually gave your cc number to someone on phone? Or was it one of those phone payment gateways?

You never ever ever ever give your CC details to anyone over phone.

I dont even like those phone payment gateways, you can make out the numbers from the different tones.

Dispute the transaction with your CC company.

Still can't understand how you could just give your CC number out like that on the phone :S

It simply your fault if u gave cc details over phone and if it was through payment gateway than there is slight hope as can be tracked and you have follow all rules said by bank but if u just gave away ur card number and bla bla just like that over phone its your fault as bank warn sms and email from time to time not to give any info about card over phone

Guys guys....I know I m at fault for giving my CC Number....I did not give my CVV details...I m just sharing my experience if this scam is happening to some one else too. And If some body has got any solution for this

You can file a case in the cyber cell of the police as You made a payment & did not get the product which is clearly a fraud.

You can also approach the consumer court

You can get the details of the beneficiary account from your credit card issuing bank

Inform them of the fraud & also request them if there is any chance of the payment being blocked to the company as you have filed a police complaint

Also write to the management of the Hotel, as clearly at some stage their employee has helped in the scam as they had confirmed the scheme to you.

As you are a frequent visitor there, next time try to meet the GM or some higher up & ask for his help

So you mean your CC has not been charged? Coz without giving out CVV number, there wont be any amount credited from your account.
If et al amount is credited, then better inform your bank associated to the credit card asap and report the issue.

How can money be deducted without the you providing CVV number? And also, to make a transaction a password is needed (Verified by Visa), did you give away that too?

CeDrIc said:
If et al amount is credited, then better inform your bank associated to the credit card asap and report the issue.
Er..you meant debited right?

OK lets get this straight. Leave out the post mortem for a while.

1. The others have already said several things to help. Call your CC issuer first and see whether they have already paid out. Ask them to guide you on this and they should be helpful because these scams hurt them too.

2. I am not sure I have understood your whole transaction. From what I have understood, you got an unsolicited call informing you about an offer. You called the hotel to confirm if the offer existed and they confirmed it. I don't see you saying that they confirmed that the guy in Delhi was authorized to give you the offer. So I don't see how the hotel would be liable here. You didn't deal with them or their authorized rep so that's it. Unless I have misunderstood you.

So the bottom line is that your best bet to recover your money is the CC issuer. Sooner the better. No point going after the hotel. Keep us posted here how it goes.

CC can be used 3 ways aFAIK,

1) POS swipe - cvv not requied

2) Phone gateway - cvv required

3) online gateway - cvv and password required(vbv or something else)

So i guess 2nd option might be happend and you must be given cvv too :(. But in any case if they are fraud, then they cant leave you with just 6999.

Basically you bought a product worth 6999 and you've not recieved it, and you can take action on it through cyber crime!

But wise thing you've done is blocked the card :)

I think that a transaction can be made on CC number alone. I have used it for phone booking a few times(not by a payment gateway, but talking to a real person).

But it is possible iff the company has your signature on record. Even then you can dispute the charge within a few days.(you can dispute any charge except PIN based ones)

1st thing that should have been done in the situation should have been to dispute the charge, reporting it as a fraud. Yuo have time upto the issue of your statement to do so I think.

2nd step would have been to ask for a new card, which has already been done.

Do call up your CC company and report thr charge as a fraud charge ASAP.

worst case: nothing happens and you go to cyber cell for reporting it.

likely case: the charge gets refunded

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@smnrock

Even for online payments, VBV is reqd. only for transactions in India.

If you purchase on steam,etc, you do not require VbV

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@rohit

From next time, always record the call, whether you are talking to a trusted company or not. It will avoid situations like this.

And any reason why you took the offer from the agent instead of the hotel directly?

asingh said:
Can a debit/charge be done -- by just giving the CC number (not CCV) over the phone..?
Amazon.com charges the card without the CVV number, not even VBV is used. Same for Godaddy as well.

Back