Married enthusiasts/gamers, need advice

I do believe TE has a bunch of people who have been married (probably a few with kids too). I just wanted to know whether you are able follow your passions with the same desire inspite of all the added responsibilities? Are you ever in want of more time for yourself to play all those cool games and mess around with gadgets/hardware?

The thing is that most certainly I will be married next year (if the world can survive 2012
<
) and I am quite anxious how things might be. I am kind of a loner and need time for myself to do things I like. So obviously being with another person would mean lesser my-time!

Thoughts on how to handle this situation in the future?

Before marriage i used to watch TV series back to back episodes, 4-5 episodes but now i hardly watch any TV series and after starting something, it takes a lot of time to finish. Even a series like arrested development which has 20 minutes episodes i was seeing only 1 episode per day and that too missed many days.

i havent finished one game or even gone 50% through post marriage and kids
<

the free time you get from wifey , you either want to spend with the kid or with my friends or just spend some time in silence ....gaming is somewhere deep down in the priority list

but hey i do have my hopes for GTA V now
<

although now that my kid is growing up , chances of xbox and kinect coming home is very strong
<

Realisation of a married enthusiast/gamer :

(i) Bid adeu to competitive multiplayer gaming.

(ii)You are lucky if you can manage more than an hour of gaming a week

(iii)You are always in a financial crunch, so the most viable upgrade from a dead GTX 280 will be a HD6850.

(iv)You are suddenly conscious about electricity bills and make do with a Core2Duo.

(v) You play Alice-Madness Returns as its the only title the missus takes some interest in. FPS and Racing sims are a blasphemy and could induce household violence in real-time.

(vi) An INR 1.5k game title is an absurd buy whilst an INR 3k flower vase is a steal deal.

(vii) Rise in petrol prices hampers your plan for that SB upgrade.

(viii)The internet is a shopping mall for the lady.

(ix) The big @$$ LCD TV that you bought to enjoy your games and movies (heck you paid a premium for that Full-HD model just for the same) is used to display agonizing soaps and reality shows in shitty SD.

(x) Your Sidewinder X6 and G9X are covered in dust and grime.

(xi) After a year or so, you find yourself struggling with any game, your skills have taken a hit, your fingers ache after an hour long session and you wonder how you managed to do that all day just a few years back.

(xii) Your OS has not been reinstalled in 2 years and there are more than 20 installed games (some more than a year old) with level of completion ranging between 2% and 10%.

(xiii) The fans in your cabby cranks and whines to life every time you switch on the PC, reminding you that your "dabba" is now a relic of the past.

(xiv) You are unaware of current market prices of HW. You live through new releases of both Games and Hardwares through TE reviews and discussions. You have no content to add to them whatsoever.

(xv) At work, as you troll through TE, you realise that the world has moved on(without you).

The big @$$ LCD TV that you bought to enjoy your games and movies (heck you paid a premium for that Full-HD model just for the same) is used to display agonizing soaps and reality shows in shitty SD.

this happens even to unmarried persons.

MY HDTV shows only news/soaps
<

Man all of you paint a very sorry picture. I have almost recently being earning enough to splurge on tech toys. I cannot afford to lose all of that in one go and that too so soon. Anyone got a way to balance everything without sacrificing much? I am sure it will be worthwhile for soon to be sacrificed (read wedded) TE folks!

Man... This thread makes me feel SAD
<

is there no way to be the same ME( Gamer ) after the knot ?
If only Girls game as much as we do
<

Man all of you paint a very sorry picture. I have almost recently being earning enough to splurge on tech toys. I cannot afford to lose all of that in one go and that too so soon. Anyone got a way to balance everything without sacrificing much? I am sure it will be worthwhile for soon to be sacrificed (read wedded) TE folks!

Dude why don't you tell her that you have a passion for gaming and it has a priority in your life. She will understand I guess. Don't know if that works or not but its worth a try.

I am unmarried BTW

#thatashok she already knows but it's just obvious that I'll have to give sufficient attention. It's common-sense that you just can't ignore your wife and get on with your life as before. The issue is how to handle everything yet not feel that you are missing out on something.

It would be very difficult to continue gaming after marriage.May be short games like COD MW or BF3,but no elder scrolls or gta.Nothing stays the same forever in life.

#aproxymate Marry a working woman!

Makes matters worse IMHO, as then, both of you are very limited on free time. So you end up having a turf war on who gets to use the entertainment system during 10 pm till midnight or perhaps later. For, a home-maker, who has the TV all to herself throughout the day, there is a glimmer of hope that she might be considerate in foregoing that coveted 10pm till midnight slot.

pray god that she has couple of hours more working time than you so that you can capitalize on those hours
<

Be careful what you ask for......else, you just might get it! My wife works an hour more, and poor me has to wait with the car, as you would also have to be her chauffeur entrusted with the pickup and drop service!
<

I got married last year and since then I have completed just one game.
<

Tip : marry someone from same office or get her transfer to the same office.

by that, you gotta "spend some quality time" in office itself (lunch/tea etc) and got some time in the evening for gaming.

never marry a non working girl - you'll write horror stories afterwards.
<

You guys are indeed scaring me. My gf is already like ... you played skyrim for 7 hours straight yesterday? You're such a kid ... hurr durr.

Jokes apart though, there was a guy on the Battlefield Fb community who seemed to be managing just fine. He even introduced his 10year old son to BFBC2 mp. He used to play on one system and his son on the other. Father son co-op
<

Back