Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe edition - The better deal, Steam or Origin?

anprav

Disciple
I was just checking the other thread about Valve games being offered on EA's Origin store, which eventually lead me to click on the link provided there. Instead of finding any "buy two get one" offers i found that Origin was offering many games at promo prices especially the one which is among the top 5 of my several wishlists - Mass Effect -2 more specifically the Digital Deluxe edition.

Origin - Buy Mass Effect Promo Price Rs.599.40

Then again it is also available at a price (no discount or special offer) of $59.99 USD which comes around to approximately Rs.2760 on STEAM

Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam

Now my question is, why is the huge difference in prices between the two stores, considering that even without the Promo offer it is available at Rs.999 on Origin which is again almost the third of Steam Price?
Does the Steam version offers any extra or additional content different to Origin or is anything missing in the Origin Version?

If you just click the "Add to the cart" on Origin it leads to the shopping basket page where you are given an option (which you can chose to ignore) to add "800 Bioware points for Rs.445" Origin - Products just to add agony to my already confused mind.

I would be grateful to anybody who can clear this mystery(if at all it is one). Thanks in advance.

*Ahem* The origin store is region oriented, which means that they price their games according to the region in which they are selling it. For example, India. We are a low economy country, so they can't expect us to pay a wooping $59 for a game. So they price it to around rs999-rs1500 so that we can afford them. Special price for special region.

And the steam store is also region oriented, but it ain't so deep like origin(in layman's terms), hence it prices the games according to its international price. They will sell it for the game price in almost all regions.

There is no difference between steam version and origin version of any game except the client. But sometimes steam throws in some special contents.

PS: I'm no expert, so don't expect me to be right all the way. :ashamed:

Flipkart is selling Mass Effect 2 at 559 bucks. I don't know what's the difference between the retail version and the digital download version though.

anprav said:
I was just checking the other thread about Valve games being offered on EA's Origin store, which eventually lead me to click on the link provided there. Instead of finding any "buy two get one" offers i found that Origin was offering many games at promo prices especially the one which is among the top 5 of my several wishlists - Mass Effect -2 more specifically the Digital Deluxe edition.

Origin - Buy Mass Effect Promo Price Rs.599.40

Then again it is also available at a price (no discount or special offer) of $59.99 USD which comes around to approximately Rs.2760 on STEAM

Mass Effect 2 Digital Deluxe Edition on Steam

Now my question is, why is the huge difference in prices between the two stores, considering that even without the Promo offer it is available at Rs.999 on Origin which is again almost the third of Steam Price?
Does the Steam version offers any extra or additional content different to Origin or is anything missing in the Origin Version?

If you just click the "Add to the cart" on Origin it leads to the shopping basket page where you are given an option (which you can chose to ignore) to add "800 Bioware points for Rs.445" Origin - Products just to add agony to my already confused mind.

I would be grateful to anybody who can clear this mystery(if at all it is one). Thanks in advance.

The difference in the price is already explained by jojothedragon. But, if you are not planning to play the game immediately, then I would suggest to wait for a steam discount. I bought my steam copy for $7 or $10. Not exactly sure. Else, if it is urgent, then you will be better off with the retail version from Flipkart.

As for differences in the different version, I think it is only wrt the DLCs. DLCs meaning weapon packs etc. The main story based DLCs are all paid and not included in any of these versions afaik. The Bioware points you mentioned above are used to purchase these DLCs. Actually, this is the only way to purchase DLCs. Pay money for Bioware points -> pay for DLCs using points.

If indie developers start pricing their games on the Indian Origin store at maybe 100-200 Rs, then that would be just the height of awesomeness :D

Back