Media Center - Iomega/Western Digital etc.,

tsk1979

Adept
Since I recently got a Panasonic FZ-35 camera capable of recording 720p in AVCHD lite, I realized a painful fact. Older laptops have it tough playing the files.
Moreover, some high def mkv etc., videos also are tough to play on my old laptop.
an alternative is the media centers.
they claim to play .mts(AVCHD), .m2ts(AVCHD lite), .mkv etc., HD files.
Anybody use these? Which is the best?
Iomega costs 10000 for 1TB HDD, and seems to be the sweetest deal.
Any tips or advice regarding these?

WD TV live seems to be a very popular player based on the Sigma chipset which is considered good. Xtreamer, Asus O play are the popular Realtek based options. All of these should be fine , although earlier reviews of Oplay and Xtreamer suggested some issues wth extremely high bit rate mkvs. Might have been resolved in firmware upgrades later.Did not see too many reviews of the Iomega or Seagate solutions.

Tradeoffs you need to choose based on are hard drive internal/external, wifi compatibility, network apps support etc. (although the last two are less important as wifi is not sufficient for high bit rate 1080p files while media streaming apps like netflix and pandora are redundant for india due to lack of availability.

Agree with what kritarth is saying. I own the WDTV and it has played all major formats (HD and mkv included) flawlessly. It doesn't play flv, rmv(b) but you can convert these formats using conversion utility included with the WDTV or through free converters easily available on the net (keeping in mind that the conversion process will take time).

Back