Media Player + HDMI cable

royal

Disciple
Hi Friends,

I need to get a media player for my 32" SONY Bravia. I have shortlisted Asus O!Player...I am getting it for 6500 (approx) from Prime. Does this price seem ok or I can get it elsewhere for less? Also I am thinking of getting Monoprice 1.5m HDMI cable from Mediahome for around 300 (approx)...does this cable sound good? Has anyone actually used it?

Thanks in advance :)

With those 1.5m HDMI cables you need not worry much about it. They all are usually the same. If you can wait i can give you my view of the HDMI cable i ordered off ebay for 130 rupees shipped. I will receive it tomorrow and can test on weekend.

For media player you can check a big thread which is already existing in this section i guess.

raksrules said:
With those 1.5m HDMI cables you need not worry much about it. They all are usually the same. If you can wait i can give you my view of the HDMI cable i ordered off ebay for 130 rupees shipped. I will receive it tomorrow and can test on weekend.

For media player you can check a big thread which is already existing in this section i guess.

Thx for replying...I did go through the thread :) also I would love to hear about your HDMI cable review

Hi.,.. U would have gone thru the thread by PRAKS on major research on media players. Through that thread, I bought a ACRyan - Playon HD mini. Its a reliable unit, playing any file thrown to it. The remote functions are also user friendly. I got the mini for 7700. If u want the one which can take in a hard drive, the unit is expensive, but, dheeraj has given an offer in that thread. Check it out.

ASUS, i understand, is not so reliable in playing different types!

All the best for ur purchase!

ripper said:
Hi.,.. U would have gone thru the thread by PRAKS on major research on media players. Through that thread, I bought a ACRyan - Playon HD mini. Its a reliable unit, playing any file thrown to it. The remote functions are also user friendly. I got the mini for 7700. If u want the one which can take in a hard drive, the unit is expensive, but, dheeraj has given an offer in that thread. Check it out.
ASUS, i understand, is not so reliable in playing different types!

All the best for ur purchase!

ripper, thx for replying...I am not very sure whether I went through the thread you mentioned, let me check.

However, in all the reviews that I read for Asus player, one advantage everybody mentioned is that it can play almost anything thrown at it...if you have read/experienced otherwise, please share the details with me. I plan to watch a lot of m720p/1080p movies and docs along with full hd files occasinally :)

Lastly, does anyone know whether Asus player has Realtek or Sigma chip?

I personally own a WDTV (non-live) and have found it one of the best gadgets I have purchased so far (yes, I do own a couple of gadgets). I cant comment on the Asus as I have never used it. Only cons with the WDTV are sluggish remote, no buttons on the unit, no rmvb support. Personally , non of these issues are major. The picture quality you get is awesome, even on CRT TV's. Plus the WDTV user base is wide, with open source firmwares you can extend and customize to your needs (yes, non-live version can can also go wireless!)

As far as HDMI cables go, the only advice techies will ever give you (I know that has probably been repeated a trillion times) is to purchase the cheapest one that works!

Budget Planner – Mint.com

I personally own a WDTV (non-live) and have found it one of the best gadgets I have purchased so far (yes, I do own a couple of gadgets). I cant comment on the Asus as I have never used it. Only cons with the WDTV are sluggish remote, no buttons on the unit, no rmvb support. Personally , non of these issues are major. The picture quality you get is awesome, even on CRT TV's. Plus the WDTV user base is wide, with open source firmwares you can extend and customize to your needs (yes, non-live version can can also go wireless!)

As far as HDMI cables go, the only advice techies will ever give you (I know that has probably been repeated a trillion times) is to purchase the cheapest one that works!

Budget Planner – Mint.com

^^ I would second with what ripper said and that Play On HD mini is a good option. Myself owns a chinese make Eaget M880 which is nothing but the Play On HD which can take a HDD in it. I have a 1TB WD green HDD fitted inside it. And it was total VFM since i bought for like 5000 rupees while the same thing rebranded as POHD is being sold at more than 10000 rupees.

PS: Getting eaget m880 in India is not possible so do not consider my price as benchmark.

royal said:
ripper, thx for replying...I am not very sure whether I went through the thread you mentioned, let me check.

However, in all the reviews that I read for Asus player, one advantage everybody mentioned is that it can play almost anything thrown at it...if you have read/experienced otherwise, please share the details with me. I plan to watch a lot of m720p/1080p movies and docs along with full hd files occasinally :)

Lastly, does anyone know whether Asus player has Realtek or Sigma chip?
I dont remember the exact threads, but i had read in a few forums that the ASUS has some issues related to recognizing files. My faith in the Playon HD is high. I had thrown all kinds of freaky files, edited videos, etc.. and it played everything... except, ofcourse, the video files that I shot using my Sony cybershot... THAT... I don't know why???... Other than this, Playon is a dependable unit.

royal said:
Thx for replying...I did go through the thread :) also I would love to hear about your HDMI cable review

So my HDMI cable i had ordered off ebay finally arrived. It cost me 130 rupees shipped. It works very much fine with my Eaget M880 media player and i notice no distortion in quality. So bottom line is get the cheapest available and never ever go for fancy features and all. Ignore anything told in the advertisements and get the cheapest one :)

raksrules said:
So my HDMI cable i had ordered off ebay finally arrived. It cost me 130 rupees shipped. It works very much fine with my Eaget M880 media player and i notice no distortion in quality. So bottom line is get the cheapest available and never ever go for fancy features and all. Ignore anything told in the advertisements and get the cheapest one :)

Hi mate, could you please post a clear pic of your HDMI cable ??.

Back