Video Media Player Suggestions

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
My trusty old Philips DivX player finally gave up 2 days back. Been using and abusing it for close to 4 years now. So I guess it had to collapse at some point. :p

Any-hoo, I'm not in touch with the current trend of media players. So would like to know which would be an ideal player within 6k range which would possibly play all available formats, 1080p without issues, has support for 3.5inch drive to be internally mounted, subtitles synchronize feature & time seek feature. Don't need Wi-Fi, Streaming or even NAS.

Thanks to all in advance.

The only media player with 3.5" drive support that I can think of is the Asus O!Play HD2, but its a bit more expensive (around 9K i think)

Homer said:
The only media player with 3.5" drive support that I can think of is the Asus O!Play HD2, but its a bit more expensive (around 9K i think)
There are plenty of others players that support the 3.5" drive internally. Iomega Screenplay Director HD, AC Ryan POHD, Chinese clones such as Egreat etc.

None of them would fall within the 6k budget though.

For you, get a used 1st gen WD TV. VFM like a nuclear bomb.

You wont get the internal thing. And honestly i am against that.

See 90% of the player are not so good thermal efficent. Even the AC ryan got a puny, low rpm i think, fan.

If you plan to do marathons(I watch videos for 10 hours straight) get the USB thingy.

The only reason I was planning for the Internal drive thingy was because I have a spare 320GB SATA drive lying around, which would probably have saved me the cost of getting an external drive.

Jerin, how much would he 1st Gen WDTV cost me? These features are very crucial for me; play all available formats, 1080p without issues, subtitles synchronize feature & time seek feature.

Gannu, what's your recommendation?

Get/Find a HDD dock. all your problems will be solved.

A used 1st gen should cost like 3.5~4k shipped. nothing more.

It plays oodles of formats. some dont. so check the list if u have any. 99% of the files u have will be played.

1080p max bitrate was played by me. it was smooth.

Subtitle sync... is that normal subtitle display?. thats a yes. Encoded ones i used. the SRT ones never used.

Time seek... Is it that fastforward kinda thing? It may have.. i dont have the name.. some thumbnails will be displayed and u can select one em.

Chuck the internal drive option. An internal SATA drive warrants an additional SATA controller onboard and this increases the cost of the player. Whereas most of them bundle plenty of USB ports both host and slaves.

A member had posted the pricing of AC Ryan media players in another thread with the contact details of the retailer from Bombay.

I'd recommend the AC Ryan Playon HD Mini. Here are a bunch of reviews:

PlayOn! HD and HD Mini Network Players Review - Introduction

HEXUS.net - Review :: A.C. Ryan Playon!HD and Playon!HD mini review : Page - 1/4

The Mini is essentially the POHD minus the 3.5" drive support and the coaxial spdif out. It supports all the formats that the POHD does. And retails for 6.5k. Somehow those Asus players' build quality do not appeal to me and I wouldn't recommend those. Besides this has LAN connectivity so you could connect it to your router/NAS and stream all the data from the PC.

I don't want to get a used one. Since it was launched in 2008, I assume a new one would no longer be available, right? Subtitle sync is a feature in which you can manually position the timing of the subtitle, in case it's out of sync. Time Seek is manually feeding the time on which I want 'A' particular movie to skip to, without having to manually wait for the fast forward to reach that point. What other players do you have in mind? My initial choice was Patriot Box Office, but I'm not sure if any retailers even sell it now.

Gannu, I'm checking that review right now. My cousin recently got himself an AC Ryan player as well. So I'll check his views on it. Thanks!

If u dont want a used one. and under 6k. :S...

PoHD mini is the ONLY option.

I recommend buying media player's from media player people. so no asus mini. and its fugly

I can stretch it to 6.5k. That's not a problem. But anything above that would take a massive hit.

Also what do you mean, when you say "I recommend buying media player's from media player people."?

Ethan_Hunt said:
Also what do you mean, when you say "I recommend buying media player's from media player people."?
He meant manufacturers who solely make media players (AC Ryan, Xtreamer, Popcorn Hour etc). Since Asus, Seagate, WD, Patriot, iOmega etc have a different primary line of business.

^^

yes.

@ethan

Thats my way of saying dont go for Asus(although i seen few community works), Iomega, seagate ones. :S. WD is a exception. It simply got lot of support.

OHZ! Gotcha. Will definitely keep that in mind. Big thanks to both of you. Will probably wait for my pay-check to come in this month and get the ball rolling.

Ethan_Hunt said:
OHZ! Gotcha. Will definitely keep that in mind. Big thanks to both of you. Will probably wait for my pay-check to come in this month and get the ball rolling.
Awesome. Keep us updated. :)

I am planning to pick up an Xtreamer Sidewinder or a POHD mini later next month.

I spoke to my cousin and he confirmed that the POHD mini does have subtitle synchronize option and time jump/seek feature too. SWEET! :D

Back