Video Media Players - ACRyan, WDTV, Xtreamer and the like

dheerajjotwani

Disciple
having put in a lot of RnD before settling for a AC Ryan Playon HD network media player, i feel i can assist others here decide and resolve issues in this dedicated thread... there have been a few who have already bought the ac ryan play on mini on my recommendation...

share your queries here... please post the requirements you have from the player... yeah one would say play media... my answer is we can do so much more... download torrents, run ftp, NAS, SSH and so much more... please also post what kinda audio/video component hookups you have to add this player to and the nature of your internet network for streaming requirements...

Nice idea. I for one have been looking to buy one of these, but my usage is strictly minimal. I will be using this as a replacement for my now defunct DVD player which served me well all these years. My content is mostly DVD9s (downloaded *ahem*), and 720p/1080p BR rips in MKV format with 5.1 sound. I plan to play the stuff from a USB drive / portable HDD. WiFi is not mandatory, since I only have a G router which I am not sure can be used for streaming 1080p videos. Budget is tight, so all I am really looking for is functionality without pain. Connection would be to a HD ready LCD TV with composite / component / HDMI inputs. Sound output first preference to the TV, next to a 5.1 speaker system (existing).

I had a good look at the Nationite HDVP2 on mp4nation.net . Currently they are accepting pre-orders. Should I opt for one? Are there better choices for my requirements in a similar price range? Would prefer something with reasonably future proof hardware.

Can u suggest the best choice of media for player for just media playback...

will be using externall HDD for .MKV BR Rips and .avi .h264 , .mp4 and other popuplar video formats.. and mp3 songs.

Sound will mostly be 5.1 system or TV speakers temp.

Will be using it on -Full HD LCD/LED TV.

I dont need any other networking features..

Just media playback with good output.

TIA

agantuk said:
Nice idea. I for one have been looking to buy one of these, but my usage is strictly minimal. I will be using this as a replacement for my now defunct DVD player which served me well all these years. My content is mostly DVD9s (downloaded *ahem*), and 720p/1080p BR rips in MKV format with 5.1 sound. I plan to play the stuff from a USB drive / portable HDD. WiFi is not mandatory, since I only have a G router which I am not sure can be used for streaming 1080p videos. Budget is tight, so all I am really looking for is functionality without pain. Connection would be to a HD ready LCD TV with composite / component / HDMI inputs. Sound output first preference to the TV, next to a 5.1 speaker system (existing).

I had a good look at the Nationite HDVP2 on mp4nation.net . Currently they are accepting pre-orders. Should I opt for one? Are there better choices for my requirements in a similar price range? Would prefer something with reasonably future proof hardware.

the reviews suggest the player works best on 720p component... as good as the hdmi output... well if that is the case then spend lesser and get the wedtv mini... it lacks hdmi though...

if you were to take my suggestion, spend 129$ and buy either the playon mini or a most recent offering by the best media player company popcorn hour, called the popbox... it has internet widgets too so soon you could be browsing with friefox on your tv... playon mini and popbox are both very very good... tad bit more than nationite but defi future ready...

HoliC said:
Can u suggest the best choice of media for player for just media playback...

will be using externall HDD for .MKV BR Rips and .avi .h264 , .mp4 and other popuplar video formats.. and mp3 songs.

Sound will mostly be 5.1 system or TV speakers temp.

Will be using it on -Full HD LCD/LED TV.

I dont need any other networking features..

Just media playback with good output.

TIA

first great way to put your query... i think we should make this a template... just that i should also seek budgets... anyways... an all in one good choice for ur reqmt would be the playon mini... it has all u want plus networking capacity... you might wanna overlook it now, but trust me with youtube streaming etc in the near future, i would suggest you go with it and be future proof... wdtv mini is good with out network but lacks hdmi. wdtv will cost you just about the price of the playon mini...

apextwin146 said:
Whats your take on the Patriot Box office? Its comparision with Play ON HD?

Transmission works perfectly on this.

Transmission Bittorrent client on PBO (ipkg package) - Patriot Memory Support Forums

i just watched a video of this player... well it seems like a very good deal till further digging brought out its chipset... it runs the chipset as that on the asus O play... no wonder the price... i would suggest to stay away from it... asus is known to fumble with the higher res media...

as far as transmission/torrent support goes, well yeah it is running using the bash shell and ipkg utility. the same as we do on most of the other similar players...

Praks said:
@Dheerajbhai

Any idea on Patriot Box office ? seen it for 5000 Rs.. Torrent works on it ?

@Praks ah torrents will work... but the player might not stand up to the task of playing all media... asus oplay is the base/inspiration for this POB...

agantuk said:

Juts so that you know , HDVP2 cannot output DTS / 5.1 ch AC3 , it demuxes them to stereo . But for 70$ (PreOrder price) , its pretty decent VFM .

dheerajjotwani said:
first great way to put your query... i think we should make this a template... just that i should also seek budgets... anyways... an all in one good choice for ur reqmt would be the playon mini... it has all u want plus networking capacity... you might wanna overlook it now, but trust me with youtube streaming etc in the near future, i would suggest you go with it and be future proof... wdtv mini is good with out network but lacks hdmi. wdtv will cost you just about the price of the playon mini...
U mean the AC Ryan Playon HD mini right ??????? pardon me for being a noob in this category... :p

Also from where can I buy it in mumbai and what is its cost ????
My budget if needed can be extended to 10k max.. but i hope its less..

thnks..

Dheeraj, can you please give details about the ACRyan. Where in India can we get this and for what price? I am looking to get a Media Player for myself very soon. Evaluating my options.

manu1991 said:
Juts so that you know , HDVP2 cannot output DTS / 5.1 ch AC3 , it demuxes them to stereo . But for 70$ (PreOrder price) , its pretty decent VFM .
dheerajjotwani said:
the reviews suggest the player works best on 720p component... as good as the hdmi output... well if that is the case then spend lesser and get the wedtv mini... it lacks hdmi though...

if you were to take my suggestion, spend 129$ and buy either the playon mini or a most recent offering by the best media player company popcorn hour, called the popbox... it has internet widgets too so soon you could be browsing with friefox on your tv... playon mini and popbox are both very very good... tad bit more than nationite but defi future ready...
Thanks @manu and @dheeraj! However, the player's tech specs do mention 1080p playback and DTS output. Do you mean to say that even though it 'supports' these formats, the output isn't good enough?

Also, are the PlayOn mini and PopBox available in India? I saw their US prices, but with shipping they cost a bomb :(

Nationite HDVP-2 1080P HD Media Network WiFi Streaming PREORDER [HDVP2_PR2] - $69.50

tvoutpage.jpg

SumitB said:
Dheeraj, can you please give details about the ACRyan. Where in India can we get this and for what price? I am looking to get a Media Player for myself very soon. Evaluating my options.

hey sumit... how is the router we made into a d/l rig working for you? btw the playon mini is available india with a two year warranty from a certified reseller in bangalore called aqtronics... you can goto HD Media Player, AC Ryan India, Play on HD India, True HD media players for details... lemme know if u need more info

agantuk said:
Thanks @manu and @dheeraj! However, the player's tech specs do mention 1080p playback and DTS output. Do you mean to say that even though it 'supports' these formats, the output isn't good enough?

Also, are the PlayOn mini and PopBox available in India? I saw their US prices, but with shipping they cost a bomb :(

Nationite HDVP-2 1080P HD Media Network WiFi Streaming PREORDER [HDVP2_PR2] - $69.50

tvoutpage.jpg

yeah read my comment above... the player is available for 7.7k shipped. btw what you complaining of is misleading advt... it happens all the time... just becoz the speed dial on every car has markings over 100 km/hr necessarily doesnt mean each car does it well... or even does it at all... LOL

the popbox is getting rave reviews too... one can check iccworld for a quote to buy it off amazon...

HoliC said:
U mean the AC Ryan Playon HD mini right ??????? pardon me for being a noob in this category... :p

Also from where can I buy it in mumbai and what is its cost ????
My budget if needed can be extended to 10k max.. but i hope its less..

thnks..

well read above... its available for 7.7k shipped from bangalore... more details on site www.playonindia.com

Dheeraj, you script works well. I now have 3 tension free download locations ;-)

What is the price for the ACRyan POHD? What is the difference between the POHD and POHD Mini?

Thnks dheeraj.. repped..

BTW has anyone on TE outside of bangalore ordered them ???

Just wanted to if the shipping was pristine and delivery time..

And is there any other reseller in mumbai.. not officially but any one who gets them from bangalore and sells here ?????

@dheeraj..

I need a player with following requirements..

1. It should play all the oodles of formats possible.. atleast popular ones in usual *cough* sources.

And i will be connecting the optical out to z5500. so it should play all the correct sound formats..

2. It should have wireless networking. N ones preferred.

3. It should support a USB hub.. very crucial for me to support my multiple ext HDD's.

4. Any ways a Ext DVD drive to be attached to play from them DVD's?.

5. A very good remote. One reason i am not into WD players. .

6. Auto playlist options and all... basically a feature rich firmware.

budget is max 10k...

i am most set on this one.. eBay India: LATEST EGREAT EG-R2A BLU-RAY MKV WI-FI MEDIA PLAYER (item 110521784342 end time 17-Aug-2010 12:02:57 IST)

anything bad.. or better in the same budget

agantuk said:
It plays 1080p just fine , but if the file has DTS audio it will convert it to stereo and then output plain stereo

m-jeri said:
@dheeraj..

I need a player with following requirements..

1. It should play all the oodles of formats possible.. atleast popular ones in usual *cough* sources.

And i will be connecting the optical out to z5500. so it should play all the correct sound formats..

2. It should have wireless networking. N ones preferred.

3. It should support a USB hub.. very crucial for me to support my multiple ext HDD's.

4. Any ways a Ext DVD drive to be attached to play from them DVD's?.

5. A very good remote. One reason i am not into WD players. .

6. Auto playlist options and all... basically a feature rich firmware.

budget is max 10k...

i am most set on this one.. eBay India: LATEST EGREAT EG-R2A BLU-RAY MKV WI-FI MEDIA PLAYER (item 110521784342 end time 17-Aug-2010 12:02:57 IST)

anything bad.. or better in the same budget

your requirements are met by the top end players... more like the popcorn hours, nmt hdx, acryan playonhd... see egreat is a good player too, infact before i discovered about the better ones, i was convinced on buying it. it was when i started comparing reviews, it dawned on me that ultimately this is just a chinese clone of those... why not spend a tad bit more and get the real deal... of the lot, acryan playonhd is the most complete package for budget buyers... the feature set matches that on the popcorn hour and hdx... go for it. you wont regret it ! it supports ext hdd, supports usb hub and optical audio out for ur z5500... havnt had any issues with media formats... plays virtually everything available out there... the remote is fantastic... is moddable can take in one hdd inside its case. besides its build quality is perhaps the best considering its made in holland, not china... you will feel that from the moment you open the package.

and there are 2 models r8?

the mini and full... which one u recommend?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

looks like the full version is better for me... but 13k.. hmm....

any warranty on these?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

and... the playon are also made in china.. its says in the pic though.

dheerajjotwani said:
besides its build quality is perhaps the best considering its made in holland, not china... you will feel that from the moment you open the package.
POHD is made in the Netherlands? At least this pic does not say so - http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/02/a-c-ryan-playon-hd-media-player/5.jpg

Maybe the design is Dutch but I am sure the player is manufactured and assembled in China. I mean almost every other gadget and electronic equipment is with fewer exceptions such as Cameras, LCDs etc.. :)

Back